Forums
Posted By: Wench For the Fallen by Laurence Binyon - 10th Nov 2011 11:48pm
For the Fallen by Laurence Binyon

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill; Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres,
There is music in the midst of desolation
And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted;
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain;
As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
To the end, to the end, they remain.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: For the Fallen by Laurence Binyon - 11th Nov 2011 2:48am
Many thanks for putting that up J. It would be a good idea if we all stepped back for a few minutes from whatever "vital" and "important" stuff we are doing and took in the words.

Past and present - we've a lot to thank our armed services for.
Posted By: Snickas Re: For the Fallen by Laurence Binyon - 11th Nov 2011 7:52am
[Linked Image]
Posted By: sean Re: For the Fallen by Laurence Binyon - 11th Nov 2011 12:15pm
excellent post happy
Posted By: Lyn123 Re: For the Fallen by Laurence Binyon - 11th Nov 2011 12:59pm
I agree, a most moving post.I have never read the whole poem before. Thankyou for posting it.
Lyn.
Posted By: Wench Re: For the Fallen by Laurence Binyon - 11th Nov 2011 2:25pm
The past 3 Remembrance Days have been quite hard for me as I've lost a few friends. This week has to have been one of the strangest I've had for a long while.

Last week, my Mum and I went to "see" my Dad in the cemetery. For some strange reason, we took a different route out of the cemetery. We tried to find her Mums grave to no avail, so we got back in the car and carried on round the only way we could. On the left was a large sandstone headstone with names carved into it. One name jumped out at me - it was my maiden name, including my initial!

We got out of the car and I ran my finger over the name just to double check as you couldn't actually read it due to it being so weathered. It turned out to be a relative who served on HMS Bullfinch, and died at the age of 32. I'm still researching it but it's turning up all kinds!

Now comes the even stranger bit. I spoke to my Dad at his grave and told him that I miss him every day and would give anything just to be able to see him again. This morning, as I was getting ready to head to the War Memorial for the 2 minutes silence, I was watching the Remembrance Week programme on BBC1. I was watching Albert Pond talking about El Alamein and Montgomery. I knew that my Dad was there but we know very little as he didn't talk about it much. We have a couple of pictures but that's it.

Suddenly, there was a picture on the tv screen of Montgomery and 5 other men standing by and sitting on a tank. One of those men is my Dad! I'm crying now as I type this. I've just called the BBC to see if I can get a copy of the photograph. I have the frame paused on the iPlayer and still can't believe he's looking at me.

I guess he must have heard me ask to see him once more smile

I'd like to say thanks to a certain member of Wiki who looked after me this morning - thank you so much for the hug, it means a lot. xxx

Posted By: poodlepup Re: For the Fallen by Laurence Binyon - 11th Nov 2011 2:34pm
Wow thats amazing,i hope the BBC can help you out with the photograph,or maybe try The Imperial War museum because i think thats where alot of photographs are held and used by BBC.
XX
Posted By: Wench Re: For the Fallen by Laurence Binyon - 11th Nov 2011 2:56pm
PP thank you so much for the info about the IWM!! I've just spoken to them and they are going to see if they can trace the photograph!! They think they will be able to, which means I can get a copy laugh

Just when I'd stopped bloody crying I start off again! I owe you a drink and a massive hug you lovely lady!! happy
Posted By: poodlepup Re: For the Fallen by Laurence Binyon - 11th Nov 2011 3:06pm
Aww thats great news Jac,made up for you! xx
Posted By: Snickas Re: For the Fallen by Laurence Binyon - 11th Nov 2011 6:15pm
awww Wench I really hope you get a copy of the photo
a [Linked Image] for getting through your strange week.
Posted By: reddragon Re: For the Fallen by Laurence Binyon - 11th Nov 2011 9:41pm
Hiya hope you get that picture wench you deserve it BIG HUGS
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: For the Fallen by Laurence Binyon - 11th Nov 2011 10:12pm
Originally Posted by Wench
The past 3 Remembrance Days have been quite hard for me as I've lost a few friends. This week has to have been one of the strangest I've had for a long while.

Last week, my Mum and I went to "see" my Dad in the cemetery. For some strange reason, we took a different route out of the cemetery. We tried to find her Mums grave to no avail, so we got back in the car and carried on round the only way we could. On the left was a large sandstone headstone with names carved into it. One name jumped out at me - it was my maiden name, including my initial!

We got out of the car and I ran my finger over the name just to double check as you couldn't actually read it due to it being so weathered. It turned out to be a relative who served on HMS Bullfinch, and died at the age of 32. I'm still researching it but it's turning up all kinds!

Now comes the even stranger bit. I spoke to my Dad at his grave and told him that I miss him every day and would give anything just to be able to see him again. This morning, as I was getting ready to head to the War Memorial for the 2 minutes silence, I was watching the Remembrance Week programme on BBC1. I was watching Albert Pond talking about El Alamein and Montgomery. I knew that my Dad was there but we know very little as he didn't talk about it much. We have a couple of pictures but that's it.

Suddenly, there was a picture on the tv screen of Montgomery and 5 other men standing by and sitting on a tank. One of those men is my Dad! I'm crying now as I type this. I've just called the BBC to see if I can get a copy of the photograph. I have the frame paused on the iPlayer and still can't believe he's looking at me.

I guess he must have heard me ask to see him once more smile

I'd like to say thanks to a certain member of Wiki who looked after me this morning - thank you so much for the hug, it means a lot. xxx

What a beautiful story i hope you get the picture Wench June
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: For the Fallen by Laurence Binyon - 11th Nov 2011 10:31pm
Originally Posted by Snickas
[Linked Image]
Hi Snickas that is a nice picture smile
Posted By: Wench Re: For the Fallen by Laurence Binyon - 11th Nov 2011 10:33pm
Cheers everyone. I've shown my Mum the freeze frame and she's made up. If I get a copy, I'll get it scanned and post it smile
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: For the Fallen by Laurence Binyon - 13th Nov 2011 7:40pm
Hi, Wench!! I notice you are a H4H County Volunteer! :-) Last year I cycled alone from John O'Groats to Lands End for that charity. If anyone wants to look it up, there is a grainy vid @ "Phil's (Help For Heroes) Cycle Ride." on YouTube. I did it for my three late comrades who are mentioned at the end. I am repeating the exercise next year-but this time I will be climbing the 4 highest peaks in the mainland on the way.

Here is a poem I wrote when I was injured in hospital during which time I was informed of my friend's demise.... It shows anger and frustration. That has stayed with me for 40 years. Every year I go to their graves on the anniversary of their deaths. I see it as a duty to my mates. I WILL remember them!!

A SOLDIER'S PRAYER.

Thank-you, God, for giving me
The strength to kill my enemy
Thank-you, God-it's all for you
But tell me-for I haven't got a clue.

This foe of mine, from foreign parts
This faceless man who comes at me
With mirror'd hatred in his heart
What have I done to make him fight for you?

My friends lie dead-and yet I kill his friends
My wounds will heal in church-as so will his
Our consciences are clear-for we are right!!
Whichever side we're on, we surely fight for you?

So, answer me, you righteous hypocrite!!
As you sit on your throne at heaven's gate
If we all fight for you-then what's the point
Of all this hate that generations generate?

One thing I have learned about war is that nobody wins except the politicians, the arms dealers and the clergymen. It's all bollox and the sooner the man in the street realises it, the sooner there will be peace in the world.

RANT OVER. Back to work.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral