Forums
Posted By: bobi1 What is this pong? - 11th Dec 2009 11:09pm
I've noticed maybe once a month the air over where I live smells odd, like marmite. It is usually noticable more at night and I have had to resort to shutting my windows cos I can't sleep with the smell. Having just got back from shopping at Bidston Tesco, I noticed the same smell in the car park. Anyone know what it is? Is it something coming from the docks perhaps? Don't say it's me lol, I've already read the thread on farting !! grin
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: What is this pong? - 11th Dec 2009 11:35pm
Pah!! U beat me, there. Lol. I think its the drains.
Posted By: kezzbag Re: What is this pong? - 11th Dec 2009 11:52pm
I shop mostly at asda on the woody and have noticed a similar pong from time to time but thought maybe the fields opposite were `being spread`, (with fertilizer not marmite).
Posted By: kimpri Re: What is this pong? - 12th Dec 2009 12:22am
No fields (i think} round tescos that get fertilizer spread on them? smile could be from the river fender tho? think
Posted By: kezzbag Re: What is this pong? - 12th Dec 2009 12:35am
That`s what I was thinkin,maybe driftin over.
Posted By: bobi1 Re: What is this pong? - 12th Dec 2009 1:13am
It can be quite overpowering, like someone has just brewed a giant beef cup-a-soup, proper mingin
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What is this pong? - 12th Dec 2009 2:04am
He who smelt it...

...delt it!!
Posted By: bobi1 Re: What is this pong? - 12th Dec 2009 3:03am
Yeh yeh wot eva. Last time I noticed, mine didn't smell of marmite mate.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: What is this pong? - 12th Dec 2009 8:49am
It's the same smell that you get most days on M56 by Helsby. I noticed it near J3 M53 a few weeks ago - I guessed the wind was blowing it across but I don't know
Posted By: pacef8 Re: What is this pong? - 12th Dec 2009 11:09am
That will ince fertilizer plant, they make those little white drops for spreading on the fields at this time of year where it can steadily seap back into the fields. If it is put down before a heavy rain storm they can be washed off and end up in places like the birket fender etc.

If your at bidston its probable the molasses sugar plant over at the end of the docks.
Part of the plant has talo which is animal render that is boiled up to make a thick sludge that stinks..

not unlike marmite !!
Posted By: MissGuided Re: What is this pong? - 12th Dec 2009 11:15am
why are they processing taloo at a molasses factory??

i remember staying in York onceand there was a weird smelll like you describe - a local said it was sugarbeat being processed at a local plant.
Posted By: pacef8 Re: What is this pong? - 12th Dec 2009 11:18am
nah mate not in the same plant but next to it i think , anyway its all in the plant area, and i agree it can stink, the place next to the bridge at bromborough pool was always the same when i was a kid...
Posted By: MissGuided Re: What is this pong? - 12th Dec 2009 11:23am
Bromborough still smells funny sometimes raftl
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: What is this pong? - 12th Dec 2009 12:15pm
Muck spreading round here too at the moment, phooooooeeee!
It all depends on the wind direction, we find. Used to go up Killingholme and it hums up there too with the chemical and petrol processing plants giving it rooty toot. Just part of modern living. Be thankful we are not near that Indian place (Bopal?) where it crocked everyone.
Posted By: bobi1 Re: What is this pong? - 12th Dec 2009 3:16pm
Originally Posted by pacef8
That will ince fertilizer plant, they make those little white drops for spreading on the fields at this time of year where it can steadily seap back into the fields. If it is put down before a heavy rain storm they can be washed off and end up in places like the birket fender etc.

If your at bidston its probable the molasses sugar plant over at the end of the docks.
Part of the plant has talo which is animal render that is boiled up to make a thick sludge that stinks..

not unlike marmite !!

I'll go along with that. Thanks for the input folks wink
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: What is this pong? - 12th Dec 2009 3:21pm
Stinks round ere about 6ish, worse in the summer. Drains dropping a load in the river.
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: What is this pong? - 12th Dec 2009 3:50pm
Do you have a sewage works up by there?
We have the same problem at Cheshire Oaks during the summer. Turns out to be a mix of the UU Sewage Works & the Fertilizer plant next to Shell
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: What is this pong? - 12th Dec 2009 4:00pm
Certainly smells like it.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral