Forums
Posted By: derekdwc Former Birkenhead Town Hall for sale or lease - 6th May 2009 7:02pm
http://www.FORMERTOWNHALL.COM/

that so sad mate use to love it in there when everything worked!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Former Birkenhead Town Hall for sale or lease - 6th May 2009 7:22pm
UE laugh
or a ghost hunt mate grin
Can you believe the incompetence of Wirral Council, that they would sell this building if possible!! Such a short sighted thing to do, this old treasure will be lost to the people of the Wirral. Depending on who buys it/leases it could mean local people never get to see inside this beautiful building. Crazy
Worse than that, it is only Grade II, the inside of the building can be changed substantially.
i wonder how long it will take for someone to damage this little beauty
For god sake WIRRAL BITCH COUNCIL at it again.. They do not know anything they get thousands upon thousands of pounds from us fu**ing tax payers and STILL there after more F***ing money what on earth is in your minds councilers?? A free life of nothing.. Your killing wirral you all should be shot.. Im disgusted that they would sell this or lease it.. What on earth is it going to do untill its brought by some idiots... I bet peel holdings will buy it and turn it into a fu**ing resturant or something.. Im disgusted at this so called council and to be quite frank id do a hell of a better job cause id use the money tax payers pay for proper things not stupid statues in birkenhead park that cost £100,000.. Anyway before i storm wallasey town hall im going to get a drink and shut up..

Cant believe it..

From the English Heritage website:

"Listing is not meant to fossilise a building. Its long-term interests are often best served by putting it to good use. If this cannot be the one it was designed for, a new use may have to be found. Listing ensures that the architectural and historic interest of the building is carefully considered before any alterations, either outside or inside, are agreed."

So listed building consent is needed before any alterations, internal or external, to a listed building are carried out. The catch is that Wirral Borough Council grant the listed building consent!!

Posted By: purfek Re: Former Birkenhead Town Hall for sale or lease - 6th May 2009 10:41pm
Actually its English Heritage whom grant the listing, Ive got all the papers and history of Gibson House, which I am in the process of setting up an appeal to get it listed.
Perhaps wirral council are selling the old town hall to pay for more trips to shanghi? havent you noticed the local muppet papers have gone quiet on that lavish expenditure last year?
guess what too, there going to sell central library too! u watch.
Its the council that permit alterations to listed buildings though isn't it?
NO WAY!

This has to be stopped.
Surely this building should be listed as an asset on WBC's books?
Does this mean that we council tax payers have a say in the matter?

Bring on the local elections next month.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Former Birkenhead Town Hall for sale or lease - 6th May 2009 11:13pm
Originally Posted by purfek
Actually its English Heritage whom grant the listing, Ive got all the papers and history of Gibson House, which I am in the process of setting up an appeal to get it listed.
Perhaps wirral council are selling the old town hall to pay for more trips to shanghi? havent you noticed the local muppet papers have gone quiet on that lavish expenditure last year?
guess what too, there going to sell central library too! u watch.

Good luck on Gibson house man happy
Posted By: purfek Re: Former Birkenhead Town Hall for sale or lease - 6th May 2009 11:13pm
its complex, the fabric of the building is protected basic things like the colour of paint, types of drain pipes roof coverings all have to go via wirrals conservation officer, Graham Arnolde. The internal structure is a different matter dependant upon its listing apparently there are two forms of Grade 2 listing and only one of Grade 1 listing.
What's the status of the building now; is the Wirral Museum still there? Someone please update me.
Your main job, all of you, is to vote out this load of incompetents. PLEASE!!!
Just back from there, Frank said it was his last surgery from that location but the guy on the desk said that there were bookings for the building up to December 2009.
there are NO local council elections till next year so we are stuck with this lot till then
Posted By: angie Re: Former Birkenhead Town Hall for sale or lease - 8th May 2009 8:54pm
Imagine what William Laird would think of this, selling of our history and heritage.Is this happening all over the country or just in Birkenhead .Is this even legal, it seems to me that the closures of the libraries was halted by the goverment when they found out what sly wirral council where doing to the Wirral people.Could the council be doing this without the knowledge of central goverment.Is the whole of Birkenhead going to be up for sale .What is happening and why is the council getting away with closing libraries,leisure centres ,schools ,old peoples homes ,swimming baths and not forgetting the big wirral partnership homes takeover so they could off load council houses and now Hamilton Square is getting hit which is the landmark that makes Birkenhead.What is going to be left for the council to do this is a big joke and we all need to start making a stand and protecting Wirral from the very people who are suppose to protect it.
I think this is an absolute disgrace, who does Wirral Council think it is???? What next??
Whilst pouring money into Iceland's banks and paying for 'Councillor Foulkes' jolly's to China, they think closing down everything that's good for Wirral is the way forward.
Even with the turn out for the farce that was the 'Public Consultations' they have ignored everything what the local people want.
On the details for the sale of the Town Hall they have described the very reason why they should keep it, telling it's history and describing the rooms and it's location.
Have you ever heard of a local council selling a Town hall with so much Heritage?? It's ridiculous.
Councillor Foulkes and his cronies seem hell bent on making Birkenhead a ghost town and replacing these with new build eyesores across the borough.
I for one will not be voting Labour, which has been unheard of in our family, and i know that i won't be the only one.
Something needs to be done before there is nothing left of Birkenhead.

Theres alot worse to come too including putting things oh hold they potentially have money for already.
*sighs* get them out but who to replace them with?
Bunch of feckers the lot of them!!
Bring back Mme Guillotine!!
Jasper Carrot said it right,"Its a waste of time voting caus someone will get elected, and they will be an ungrateful barstard!!"
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Former Birkenhead Town Hall for sale or lease - 10th May 2009 7:14pm
Shouldn`t vote, its all fixed anyway imo raftl
© Wirral-Wikiwirral