Forums
Posted By: Morseman Not just racist but stupid - 10th Nov 2008 5:29pm
Walking back from Liscard today I noticed the man from the corner shop looking at one of those phone booth/advertising things on the corner of Martins lane and Liscard road.

Some clown had written in large black felt tip the words "Londis Paki Shop" with an arrow pointing towards his shop. I felt very ashamed to see this.

I despair sometimes because not only is this racist but the family that run it are really nice pleasant people. Obviously the moron that wrote it hasn't got a clue because he/she can't tell the difference between a Pakistani and a Sikh. Not that it makes any difference but this family are Sikhs.

Don't you love the way these racists feel all superior to ethnic minorities yet most of them can barely string a sentence together and certainly don't know their history. If they did, they would find that hundreds of thousands of Indians fought for this country in both world wars. Yes Sikhs, Hindus and Muslims. Perhaps if they did read about them then they would be a bit more careful of who they are picking on because the Sikhs especially were tough terrific fighters.

I doubt any of them are likely to read things like this because they can't read but it makes me feel better to get it off my chest.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Not just racist but stupid - 10th Nov 2008 5:36pm
Yeah it pisses me off too as soon as someone see's a person who has a skin tone from the Middle East and surrounding area's, they call them a "paki".
Posted By: Shambo Re: Not just racist but stupid - 10th Nov 2008 5:38pm
For shame...despicable behaviour. There's more of it about than I'd like to admit. I heard some terrible things said in the pub yesterday, all in a jokey kinda way, but I wasn't laughing. I had a quiet word with the landlord about it and he just seemed to shrug it off. I ain't going back in there again. no
Posted By: DavidB Re: Not just racist but stupid - 13th Nov 2008 1:35pm
They sprayed 'Paki' on a shop shutter blind on Cleveland street (the red shop). Can't people just let things be? There are still some very torn up people who just can't accept things.
Posted By: dave_g Re: Not just racist but stupid - 13th Nov 2008 11:37pm
im in no way agreeing with this kind of stuff but in the press this last week or so there have been two cases of immigrants living in houses that are worth £1 million or more with ridiculous rent,all bein payed for by us mugs!alot of people who come here from war torn countries work hard and give something back but some jus take the p**s!!! meanwhile when tax credit people came out to see if we were entitled to any help with the rent,they said we were payin too much!(£500 pm central liscard)wish i was foreign!!!
Posted By: Spritey_Nikki Re: Not just racist but stupid - 13th Nov 2008 11:40pm
I'm not a racist - but what does bug me a bit, is the fact that they come into our country and complain about it! They can get jobs easier than we can. I dont agree with the vandalism....but i do think there are some things that aint right.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Not just racist but stupid - 13th Nov 2008 11:44pm
Dont forget though that ot only do the press sensationalize stories about and persecute muslims (in the same way as theydid the jews in the early 1900's which led to the rise of Nazi-ism - see the channel 4 dispatches documentary from a few months ago - anyone who buys the Sun after seeing that should be fully ashamed of themselves, the editor was almost praising racism and inciting violence against Muslims in an interview) but there are a LOT of scrounging morons who are british blooded (if that is a term that can be used) and are no use to society (ie. repeat criminals, baghead etc) and they get all the privaledges in life, for being the way they are.

Some immigrants take the absolute pi$$ although most, as you say, are hard working, but a LOT higher ratio British non-ethnic minority citizens are just the lowest of the low ... imho.

Needless to say however, they need to stop immigration for a few years at least, as there is no jobs for our own people never mind anyone else (and im not someone who has ever been out and out against immigration because I understand and praise the advantages it brings, I just see the economy in tatters and thousands of redundancies everyday 2200 at Virgin yday, 4000 at BT today, 400 at JCB today etc).
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Not just racist but stupid - 14th Nov 2008 10:01am
My uncle is from Chile (which is in South America) and while his lads were growing up they were sometimes called 'paki' by idiots who lived nearby.

I am not sure I can agree with the veiled sentiment of 'coming to our country stealing all our jobs'. Don't forget that for every honest hard-working overseas person who works in this country there is a lump of tax coming out of their wages in the just same way it does from us. So while anyone from another country is working honestly here they are contributing to our economy. What I cannot agree with is people who come from other countries because they think they will have a better life here, then spend all their time doing illegal work and so NOT contributing. That is where there is a difference. You cannot put a Special Registrar (senior medical doctor) from somewhere in Asia (India/Pakistan etc) in the same classification as someone who comes here to cheat the system by doing work without paying into the system (labourer/cockler/cannabis farm grower). One contributes, the other does not.

At the end of the day if someone from another country is more qualified to do a job than someone here I say good luck to them. It means the job market is a very competitive place, which in some fields is a good thing. Wouldn't you rather be treated for cancer by an overseas doctor who has advanced training in oncology than a doctor who was born and bred in this country who has not got as good a training?

Rant over.
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Not just racist but stupid - 14th Nov 2008 11:13am
I suppose in the days of the British empire, we went to all their countries, told them that we were in charge, built our churches took all their money, got them to fight for us in wars and killed all who opposed.

The british are the biggest hypocrits in the world and i suppose we deserve to have people coming over here taking our Jobs and women.
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Not just racist but stupid - 14th Nov 2008 3:46pm
Dont agree with that, we shouldnt be punished because of what people did years ago. if that was the case, then Germany should still be punished for being Nazis !!!!

Come on, grow up now. The minority of people in britain ruin it for the others, and its nearly always them who complain about ethnic minority's stealing jobs etc etc...

In saying that however, I know a lot of ethnic minoritys here in Preston...who deal drugs etc etc...perfect example... I saw a young lad before (Cant have been older than 25) driving a Rolls Royce Phantom Soft Top thing....

Explain that ??
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Not just racist but stupid - 14th Nov 2008 4:08pm
Originally Posted by Mi_Craig
I saw a young lad before (Cant have been older than 25) driving a Rolls Royce Phantom Soft Top thing....

Explain that ??

Could easily be a daddys boy, chauffer, working/worked in the city etc, dont mean he deals drugs.

But I know what you mean about them type of people; having said that though, there was a man by where my sister used to live. New houses but in Birkenhead, not an amazing area, he was about 24, renting and him and his missus where proud of the fact they were on the dole/child benefit etc, and yet they owned a brand new Lexus, a 2 yr old Subaru and a 1 year old Range Rover.

Of course alarm bells where ringing, but the police didnt bother ringing the bell when they entered 3 times.

With the cars outside, these drug dealers dont half make it obvious/raise suspicion sometimes.
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Not just racist but stupid - 14th Nov 2008 5:57pm
Dont agree with that, we shouldnt be punished because of what people did years ago.

Well, i suppose in a way that is what alot of people complain about, people coming over to britain and demanding mousques and not living to the british way of life, it is only what we did to them. Suppose it is pay back time lol

In saying that however, I know a lot of ethnic minoritys here in Preston...who deal drugs etc etc...perfect example... I saw a young lad before (Cant have been older than 25) driving a Rolls Royce Phantom Soft Top thing....

Explain that ??

Half the problem, and the reason why so many British people are so racist, is because there is some big fat white man whoose head is so up his own arse coming up with ideas and laws that make white people hate the minorities. EG, if everyone has the same rights, why should someone be guaranteed a job/interview based on the colour of their skin. Isn't that giving them preferential treatment?

It is ok for black people to be racist about white, but not ok for white people to be racist? Friend of mine was told, of the record, that they would of got more benefits if they were black.

I do not class myself to be a racist, but i do believe in fairness, if i see someone getting more than me just based on the colour of their skin, then that is obviously going to make me bitter about it.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Not just racist but stupid - 14th Nov 2008 6:28pm
If you don't want foreigners taking all our jobs, get off the benefits and get yourself in work. And stop reading The Sun and The Daily Mail.
Posted By: Bazbo Re: Not just racist but stupid - 16th Nov 2008 1:08am
One of the most divisive things in society at the moment is being asked all the time about your ethnic background so that you can be positively discriminated against, I can't even be English on most of these forms they produce (my family invaded here in 1066). I don't class myself as racists at all, I've been around the block a few times and seen how the poor in other countries have to live, people are people no matter where they come from and there is good and bad everywhere. As for jolly Johnny Foreigner stealing my job. I don't think so, that's down to our Scottish government. (that's racists isn't it, sorry jock.).
Posted By: Rhobit Re: Not just racist but stupid - 16th Nov 2008 2:04am
It's interesting really when you think of ethnicity, I know you usually have to sign on application forms and such that the information provided is correct, but what really is to stop you filling in that you're asian/black etc on a form?

It'd be interesting to see how often things like that don't get picked up.

It's ironic as well for me talking about racism, I work quite closely with India as part of my job and we encounter alot of racism when speaking to customers due to it. They always preface it with "I'm not racist, but...".

It's suprising how much a change in accent can alter the way people deal with you.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Not just racist but stupid - 16th Nov 2008 2:18am
I understand half the time why people hate talking to customer support reps and the like located in India. Some companies give them little or no service/product specific training, other companies give them a sheet of paper to read from etc, so the quality never seems as high as a UK call centre. The best one a few years back, when I had a 3 phone, I had a problem and when I phoned up for help, the rep simply told me "we do not have this handset in India and I cannot assist you with fixing it".

I phoned Price Drop TV the other day, who outsource their support to India, and could barely understand the gentleman on the other end of the phone his accent was so strong, and he kept asking stupid questions and having to repeat them because he could not understand me. Practically the same thing happened when I phone 3 customer services for my sisters 3 mobile broadband.

Now a few weeks ago, I phone o2 Broadband customer service and they only use UK call centres, 27/4. And it is so nice to phone someone and actually be able to understand what they are saying fully, to the point where I even had a friendly chat to the guy on the end of the phone about "geeky" things; he was obviously interested in computers etc... UK call centre staff do seem better trained to say the least!!

However a similar thing can be said about phoning Scottish call centres, usually it is okay, but on the odd occasion, you do get a rep with a really thick Scottish accent and you start to struggle to understand what they are saying sometimes.

I dont think peoples dislike with dealing with India is down to racism, I think it is quite simply down to lack of quality and clarity in communication. It also narks people when they have to phone reguarly, and get the same problems with communication every time, and the comapnies feel it is acceptable to treat their customers in this way, it is as though they don't have any will to try and improve the elocution of their support reps.

Because of my business, I often have to telephone plcaes such as Holland, Cyprus, Lebanon etc, and they all seem to be far easier to understand than when I am forced to phone a company that employs Indian call centres.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Not just racist but stupid - 16th Nov 2008 2:30am
Originally Posted by MattLFC
Because of my business, I often have to telephone plcaes such as Holland, Cyprus, Lebanon etc, and they all seem to be far easier to understand than when I am forced to phone a company that employs Indian call centres.

lol gf bought a pc from dell... she foned up as there was an offer in the paper.. the indian guy wouldnt sell her it, asked for manager - oh i am the manager lol... then she realised she could order it online with the code... dell r shit for customer service imo
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Not just racist but stupid - 16th Nov 2008 2:32am
Originally Posted by Davey_Martin
lol gf bought a pc from dell... she foned up as there was an offer in the paper.. the indian guy wouldnt sell her it

raftl raftl sorry that just made me laugh, "the indian guy wudnt sell it her" lmao!!
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Not just racist but stupid - 16th Nov 2008 2:35am
lol he got angry.. race aside... he just wouldnt selll wot they advertised in the paper.... it was actually him that hung up too... not her
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Not just racist but stupid - 16th Nov 2008 2:35am
raftl
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Not just racist but stupid - 16th Nov 2008 2:36am
tease
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Not just racist but stupid - 16th Nov 2008 2:07pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC
I even had a friendly chat to the guy on the end of the phone about "geeky" things; he was obviously interested in computers etc... UK call centre staff do seem better trained to say the least!!

That's because they have just finished a degree and this is their first job because they couldn't find a graduate job!!
My first job after graduating was with British Gas in a dank cellar in Leicester city centre, despite a 2:1 in Psychology/History of Science. I managed to bill a person for £800.00, I often hope it wasn't a little old lady with a weak heart. The supervisor didn't give a toss. I knew at least 5 others just in my work area who had just got a degree.
Posted By: Wheels Re: Not just racist but stupid - 16th Nov 2008 2:21pm
I have nothing intelligent to say on thius subject...

Posted By: hoseman Re: Not just racist but stupid - 16th Nov 2008 3:30pm
THATS cute cuddly duck rasism that is mate!!! You should be ashamed....! noonoo
Posted By: Rhobit Re: Not just racist but stupid - 16th Nov 2008 3:49pm
I think when it comes to call centre's its definitely a mixed bag.

Alot of the Indian guys and gals I work with, there is a little bit of a language barrier, but on the whole they are very intelligent people and good at what they do. Hell I lost my last job in swansea due to half of our work going to India. As it happens I'm from up here so there wasn't much a problem for staying in work luckily enough.
Posted By: Wheels Re: Not just racist but stupid - 16th Nov 2008 5:16pm
I don't care. Black White yellow blue call me what u want. I do laugh at racist jokes now and then, if someone from another race calls me something "I" am not offended at all. I am fed up of people kicking up a fuss about it. As mentioned before It seems ok for blacks to joke about White now so why kick up a fuss if a white jokes about a black???? It's 2009 now the past is past and not this genorations fault! If blacks want to go round calling each other Niggers why are they pissed if another race says it.

As for the phonebox that is just stupid and it is a racial attack NOT a joke.

Now I think of it What am I? Am I racist because I laugh at jokes? Or am I not as I have many friends of other races even partners??

As for immigration thats a whole other thread, I am against it for my own reasons even tho my own Mother moved here 41years ago from the Czech republic.
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Not just racist but stupid - 16th Nov 2008 7:42pm
Racism is a touchy subject, here is a perfect example.

Mobo Music awards, awards for "Black" Music, as its often known.

And yet, if rock and things were to be called "White" music, there would be a huge arguement??

Racism is mainly dragged along into present years, by (and this may be a generic thing) Black Americans. You know, the ones who live in the hood etc...
Posted By: Sir_longmong Re: Not just racist but stupid - 16th Nov 2008 8:28pm
People get too carried away with the p.c side of things, like has already been pointed out, its mainly fat white suit types deciding what might "offend" muslims and the like so then people read something like "black pudding now called its not white but does it matter pudding because of whining muslims" in their copy of the sun and see red!

I laugh at racist jokes, I have an indian guy texting me gags taking the piss out of asians but I dont consider myself to be racist, being racist would be slamming a pillow case over my head and burning crosses!

soap box dismounted!
Posted By: Wheels Re: Not just racist but stupid - 16th Nov 2008 11:12pm
withthat happy
Posted By: Morseman Re: Not just racist but stupid - 18th Nov 2008 9:59am
How did this topic degenerate into a discussion on immigration and the like? My original point was that some knobs couldn't tell the difference between Sikhs and Pakistani's. They probably only wrote what they did because they were refused alcohol or similar.

I suppose the people in the shop are immigrants to Merseyside because they came from Middlesbrough. They actually work very hard and very long hours which most of us wouldn't do. There are plenty of shops out there if anyone wants to have a go so stop moaning about them.

Taking our jobs! I think the biggest threat to jobs is Eastern Europeans rather than Asians but that is the nature of the EU whether we like it or not.

Do people on Merseyside still buy the sun? Regardless of the Hillsborough disaster, anyone who buys it anyway must be of very low intelligence.

Sorry but I feel very strongly about this and hate the propaganda. Let's not go back to the thirties because we know what happened even if most if not all of us were not around then.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Not just racist but stupid - 18th Nov 2008 10:25am
Originally Posted by Morseman
Walking back from Liscard today I noticed the man from the corner shop looking at one of those phone booth/advertising things on the corner of Martins lane and Liscard road.

Some clown had written in large black felt tip the words "Londis Paki Shop" with an arrow pointing towards his shop. I felt very ashamed to see this.

I despair sometimes because not only is this racist but the family that run it are really nice pleasant people. Obviously the moron that wrote it hasn't got a clue because he/she can't tell the difference between a Pakistani and a Sikh. Not that it makes any difference but this family are Sikhs.

Don't you love the way these racists feel all superior to ethnic minorities yet most of them can barely string a sentence together and certainly don't know their history. If they did, they would find that hundreds of thousands of Indians fought for this country in both world wars. Yes Sikhs, Hindus and Muslims. Perhaps if they did read about them then they would be a bit more careful of who they are picking on because the Sikhs especially were tough terrific fighters.

I doubt any of them are likely to read things like this because they can't read but it makes me feel better to get it off my chest.

prob just some kids that dont know any better, I once again blame the parents, thats if they are still around.....
Posted By: Rossyboy Re: Not just racist but stupid - 18th Nov 2008 12:54pm
how is the term "paki" an insult? its short for pakistani. When people talk about us they call us "Brits", exactly the same thing. Paki is short for pakistani and brit is short for briton. hate the way all the goody goody middle class people in this country have made everyone feel they have to pussyfoot around foreigners
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Not just racist but stupid - 18th Nov 2008 1:14pm
People are brought up to use the term "Paki" as an insult though... and when 80% of Paki insults are directed to non pakistani people... it just shows complete and utter insolence throughout the British Lifestyle.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Not just racist but stupid - 18th Nov 2008 3:45pm
brit is used as an insult though, it brands us as larger louts and loud obnoxious tools. what does paki mean ?
Posted By: Rossyboy Re: Not just racist but stupid - 20th Nov 2008 2:32pm
well if people want to live in this country all of them should try to assimilate into this countries traditions like we would have to if we wanted to live in another country. That is why some people in this country appear to be "Insolent". If a foreign person calls me a Brit, am i gona get backed up when I say its racist? no im not, il get told to grow up. and before anyone tries to label me as a racist, I'd like ot say that I am far from a racist. I just hate all this hypocrassy and being made to feel awkward in my own country because of busy body middle class people. Its because of goody goody people that racism occurs.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Not just racist but stupid - 20th Nov 2008 5:54pm
Originally Posted by Scotty69
well if people want to live in this country all of them should try to assimilate into this countries traditions like we would have to if we wanted to live in another country.

Yeah mate sure we do, and this isnt the reason ex-pat communities in places like Spain exist, where they don't even speak Spanish, and demand shops sell their baked beans etc...

And going back further than that, we forced our traditions and ideal's on the countries we invaded/took over during the reign of the British Empire.

Seems a LOT of people don't like the taste of their own medicine!!
Posted By: Sir_longmong Re: Not just racist but stupid - 20th Nov 2008 6:46pm
Bloody hell matt, thats a bit far in the past even for a red to be digging up! We are talking about NOW!
Posted By: Shambo Re: Not just racist but stupid - 20th Nov 2008 6:52pm
There are ex pat communities all over the world, mostly in places that are part of the Commonwealth, (that is to say the old British Empire).

Some of the comments made in this thread are an embarresment. They veer from the stupid to the thinly veiled racist.
Posted By: Sir_longmong Re: Not just racist but stupid - 20th Nov 2008 9:27pm
no, they would be opinions, peoples opinions often differ you know! happy
Posted By: Morseman Re: Not just racist but stupid - 20th Nov 2008 9:33pm
Who said Brit was some form of racist label? The forces always use Brit to describe themselves. No one else does to my knowledge (IRA used to maybe?) and I certainly wouldn't be bothered if someone who was not British used it. Now Honky was a term black people used to use to describe whites but it just made me laugh to be honest.

Someone described do gooders and the like as middle class. That's a laugh as the middle classes only care about themselves and getting up the next rung of the ladder. In my experience they are the most racist of the lot. Look at the list of BNP members, there are a number of doctors on it and they are definitely middle class.
Posted By: Sir_longmong Re: Not just racist but stupid - 20th Nov 2008 9:35pm
Who said Brit was some form of racist label? The forces always use Brit to describe themselves. No one else does to my knowledge (IRA used to maybe?) and I certainly wouldn't be bothered if someone who was not British used it. Now Honky was a term black people used to use to describe whites but it just made me laugh to be honest.

Someone described do gooders and the like as middle class. That's a laugh as the middle classes only care about themselves and getting up the next rung of the ladder. In my experience they are the most racist of the lot. Look at the list of BNP members, there are a number of doctors on it and they are definitely middle class.

clap withthat
Posted By: Rossyboy Re: Not just racist but stupid - 22nd Nov 2008 6:50pm
The middle class people in this country are the ones with the most influence and power and therefore whatever they say is what gets taken as the countries opinion. They are only trying to get on the next rung of the ladder but are doing so by saying minorities want and therefore getting further ahead. If i was racist or prejduice I would admit it, but the thing Im fed up with is that nowadays there is pretty much the same amount of racism coming our way but it gets ignored. And because everywhere has to be seen to be diverse now, it has gone stupid, with any minority (sex, religion, race etc) getting given as much as possible so people can be seen to be diverse.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Not just racist but stupid - 22nd Nov 2008 7:13pm
All this talk reminds me of this brilliant 70`s show, "Love Thy Neighbour". You could NEVER get away with this nowadays, how things have changed!!!! thumbsup
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=c_gN7zlpnz8http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vez4nInKJD8
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dI1XSUpJBqA&feature=related

And another classic, "Mind Your Language"
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=a0HEvFQuEBY&feature=relatedhttp://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xtLCoakPEcM&feature=related
Enjoy raftl

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Not just racist but stupid - 14th Mar 2009 2:13am
Grrr. Wish i hadnt read this. Annoyed now.
Acceptance, a non-judgemental attitude + empathy-if everyone had these values it would be a nicer world.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Not just racist but stupid - 14th Mar 2009 8:03am
Originally Posted by Sanchez
brit is used as an insult though, it brands us as larger louts and loud obnoxious tools. what does paki mean ?

Paki, The word means pure (spiritually) in Sanskrit- the Indo Asian equivalent to Latin, so Pakistan means Land of the pure. Not very offensive is it.
It becomes offensive when used in a manner to cause offence, In the days of the British Empire the words Paki barstard followed by the boot or being hit by a stick brought the word Paki in to the racist arena. The word was associated with violence and keeping a people down.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Not just racist but stupid - 14th Mar 2009 9:05am
Originally Posted by MissGuided
My uncle is from Chile (which is in South America) and while his lads were growing up they were sometimes called 'paki' by idiots who lived nearby.

There was a family of cretins from New Ferry that consisted of about five lads who were totally inbred. They called my mate who was from Brasil a 'paki'. He didn't even look Pakistani. We doubled back on ourselves and met up with them again and my mate poured a bottle of coke over their heads.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Not just racist but stupid - 14th Mar 2009 9:07am
Originally Posted by hoseman
Enjoy raftl

Everyone frowns on those programs nowadays (even though I don't see the point). I wonder if they'll feel that way about Little Britain in a few years as I can't see the difference.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Not just racist but stupid - 14th Mar 2009 3:11pm
Brit means Britsh
Paki means Pakistani

If you associate any of the above with anything then it doesn't matter if abbreviated or not - Paki has certainly nothing to do with racism any more than Pakistani has.

Obviously the moron that wrote it hasn't got a clue because he/she can't tell the difference between a Pakistani and a Sikh.

Sikh is to do with SiKhism which is a religion
Pakistani is a nationality

There are an estimated 20,000 Sikhs living in Pakistan
Posted By: Shambo Re: Not just racist but stupid - 14th Mar 2009 3:42pm
I've never heard anyone referred to as a 'brit' in an insulting way.

I've never heard anyone referred to as a 'paki' as anything other than an insult.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Not just racist but stupid - 14th Mar 2009 3:44pm
"Brits abroad"
"British abroad"

"He is a Paki"
"He is a Pakistani"

We are being brainwashed by the newspapers!

"Pakis abroad"
"Pakistanis abroad"

"He is a Brit"
"He is a British"
Posted By: bert1 Re: Not just racist but stupid - 14th Mar 2009 3:47pm
Originally Posted by Shambo
I've never heard anyone referred to as a 'brit' in an insulting way.

I've never heard anyone referred to as a 'paki' as anything other than an insult.

Irish republicans....Northern Ireland
Posted By: Shambo Re: Not just racist but stupid - 14th Mar 2009 3:53pm
Okay, enjoy calling your pakistani friends paki's then...

Split hairs but you know what I'm talking about. It's got nothing to do with newspapers.
Posted By: SUExx Re: Not just racist but stupid - 14th Mar 2009 4:19pm
in am british as i was born in britan but i am also english as i was born in england, so next week when st patricks day is being cellibrated by the irish it would be great if the english could cellibrated st georges day in the same way with as many st george flags around as we usually see of st patrick ones,
racism comes in many forms and st patricks day is commercialized in england and yet st georges day passes buy without hardly a mention.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Not just racist but stupid - 14th Mar 2009 4:47pm
Its a pity we don't celebrate St Georges day but in the past it has been frowned upon by certain councils and politicians. In the USA people are encouraged to fly the stars and stripes on their property's. Here if you put up the Union flag or the flag of St Goerge you would be accused of it having racial undertones or you would be accused of being a member of the BNP. Its a case of the tail wagging the dog.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Not just racist but stupid - 14th Mar 2009 4:58pm
Originally Posted by Shambo
Okay, enjoy calling your pakistani friends paki's then...

Split hairs but you know what I'm talking about. It's got nothing to do with newspapers.

I wouldn't do that in case they call me a brit in return wink
Posted By: SUExx Re: Not just racist but stupid - 14th Mar 2009 6:27pm
Originally Posted by bert1
Its a pity we don't celebrate St Georges day but in the past it has been frowned upon by certain councils and politicians. In the USA people are encouraged to fly the stars and stripes on their property's. Here if you put up the Union flag or the flag of St Goerge you would be accused of it having racial undertones or you would be accused of being a member of the BNP. Its a case of the tail wagging the dog.

i know what you mean, ita just a pity the foreigners in this country cant see that st patricks day seems to be promoted more in england than st georges day as that seems prejudice to the english, and yet the english and irish are all from the british isles so goes to show there is prejudice between ourselves as well
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Not just racist but stupid - 14th Mar 2009 6:38pm
I thought the Republic of Ireland was just that..or Eire if you want to give it correct name. Do they see themselves as British or Irish?

The United Kingdom covers Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England.

And then of course there's Great Britain.

Is there any other conglomeration of countries in the world that is so confused about its name? Is there a historical reason for this confusion?
Posted By: hoseman Re: Not just racist but stupid - 14th Mar 2009 6:39pm
Im not prejudice............I hate everyone equally!! happy
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Not just racist but stupid - 14th Mar 2009 6:46pm
Originally Posted by hoseman
Im not prejudice............I hate everyone equally!! happy
withthat Yes you can all just GO HOME! and I'll go home TOO!
Posted By: bert1 Re: Not just racist but stupid - 14th Mar 2009 7:20pm
Originally Posted by MissGuided
I thought the Republic of Ireland was just that..or Eire if you want to give it correct name. Do they see themselves as British or Irish?

The United Kingdom covers Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England.

And then of course there's Great Britain.

Is there any other conglomeration of countries in the world that is so confused about its name? Is there a historical reason for this confusion?

To be correct it is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, to be geographical correct Great Britain is Brittania Major while in France (Brittany)is Brittania minor.
Posted By: Waddi Re: Not just racist but stupid - 14th Mar 2009 9:38pm
Originally Posted by Station

There was a family of cretins from New Ferry that consisted of about five lads who were totally inbred. They called my mate who was from Brasil a 'paki'. He didn't even look Pakistani. We doubled back on ourselves and met up with them again and my mate poured a bottle of coke over their heads.

I find the terms in which you used the expression "Cretin" extemely offensive and would prefer it if you wouldnt use it in future in this way.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral