Forums
Posted By: MattLFC Tudor Houses Are The Most Energy Efficient! - 8th Nov 2006 5:48pm
This is kinda weird this as me and me mum n auntie were discussing the energy efficiency of newer built houses just the other day.

Amazingly, houses built in the 1600's were far more energy efficient then houses built recently!

Originally Posted by BBC News
The 16th Century dwellings leak 10.11 cubic metres of air an hour for every square metre of wall - much less than many other more recent dwellings.

Buildings built in the 1906s leaked as much as 15.1 cubic metres.

The British Gas survey found because the wooden-beam buildings were made airtight with stones or wattle and dab, they had fewer carbon emissions too.

Their use of local material also lessened their environmental impact, the research from IRT Surveys said.

It found that houses built in the 1970s leak 11.7 cubic metres of air an hour for every square metre of wall, while those from the 1980s leaked 12 to 40.1 cubic metres and hour, and 1990s buildings leaked between 12 and 23.6 cubic metres.

I always knew that modern housing was pretty crap for warmth, just from the feel of the walls, but boy that is quite shocking!

What dya think?

smile
it could also be that they didnt run on electric and you had to run around with a candle dddddddddddaaaaaaahhhhhhh lol
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Tudor Houses Are The Most Energy Efficient! - 8th Nov 2006 10:07pm
my house is about 100 years old and it isn't to good at keeping the heat but my dads cottage is brand new and he only has to put his heating on about 5 times during winter.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Tudor Houses Are The Most Energy Efficient! - 8th Nov 2006 10:07pm
Lol, its based on heat loss, not electric Rhy tease

A building cant leak electricity, so it couldnt be rated on this haha!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Tudor Houses Are The Most Energy Efficient! - 8th Nov 2006 10:08pm
Originally Posted by AX_125
my house is about 100 years old and it isn't to good at keeping the heat but my dads cottage is brand new and he only has to put his heating on about 5 times during winter.

Was it a mass build like Redrow etc? Or a lower scale build/private build like with most bungalows??

smile
Posted By: Dazza Re: Tudor Houses Are The Most Energy Efficient! - 9th Nov 2006 12:57am
This is interesting, but back then they knew how to build houses. Although to be fair, insulation is a major factor now-a-days.
Posted By: learner Re: Tudor Houses Are The Most Energy Efficient! - 9th Nov 2006 2:17pm
matty dont you talk about random shit, dont ya!!!!
Posted By: Mark Re: Tudor Houses Are The Most Energy Efficient! - 9th Nov 2006 2:34pm
Well i now know why not to buy a 1980's house.

Random, but handy if your buying a house. smile
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Tudor Houses Are The Most Energy Efficient! - 9th Nov 2006 3:39pm
My dad's cottage is a private build, but it seems to be of a similar build quality to new mass built houses i have looked at, hollow walls etc.

I always found old houses to be very draughty, especially with high ceilings. I used to work in an estate agents so i got to see quite alot of different houses and would always rate mass houses from the 60's and 70's also council houses are brill built houses and are usually better quality than non-council houses.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Tudor Houses Are The Most Energy Efficient! - 9th Nov 2006 3:44pm
Well whilst a private build may seem to be the same type of build as a mass build, it will not have the corner cutting involved in mass builds - houses from the likes of Redrow n Morris Homes are crap for insulation because the companies are after only one thing, profit.

The Morris Homes by me are falling to bits and they were only built 10 years or so ago.

smile
Originally Posted by MattyC
Lol, its based on heat loss, not electric Rhy tease

A building cant leak electricity, so it couldnt be rated on this haha!

I know but electricity gives of heat, eg you generally assume turning a fan on cools the room but it doesnt it increses the temperature cause your puting enegy which is measure in KJ which is kilo jules and it aint going out. If ya want to work out the energy of a 100w light bulb = 100KJ/sec x 60 KJ/min x 60 KJhr. Dnt year dare underestimate my understanding of the laws of thermodynamics boyo
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Tudor Houses Are The Most Energy Efficient! - 9th Nov 2006 6:33pm
Even after all that though Rhys... it doesnt affect how a house leaks heat tease

Besides, who uses 100watt bulbs nowadays??!! Haha!
because its a form of energy which is being exposed and if when tudor houses were built they didnt hav 100w light bulbs then the energy transfer from inside the house to outside would be alot less.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Tudor Houses Are The Most Energy Efficient! - 9th Nov 2006 6:58pm
Tudor houses do have electricity and light bulbs nowadays Rhys mate smack

I think you are mis-understanding this report, they tested houses built in the 1600's, but they tested them at the same time as they tested modern houses (ie. this year).

I cant really see the tudors being much bothered about energy efficiency in houses and keeping records lmao. Think the plague had a bit more prominence...

wink
I dnt think you get the point I AM TAKING THE PISS LOL HE HE HE MAT STOP BEING SO 70ISH lol. You thinking of buying speke hall
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Tudor Houses Are The Most Energy Efficient! - 9th Nov 2006 7:19pm
Well I was thinking about it yeah, especially with its high energy efficieny, but now you taking the piss I shall forget about it, you burst my bubble haha!

grin
© Wirral-Wikiwirral