Forums
Posted By: Mark Pancake Tuesday - 1st Mar 2014 3:42pm
How to make a pancake not from a packet.

click me

How do you like yours.

Sugar and lemon for me smile
Posted By: pegsgirl Re: Pancake Tuesday - 1st Mar 2014 3:53pm
Home made are the best!!!
I like mine with sugar and oranges. Yummy
Posted By: Uffda Re: Pancake Tuesday - 1st Mar 2014 6:37pm
I never understand why people spend twice as much money on pancake mixes in packets than just mixing flour, milk, eggs and butter together. It's not rocket science.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Pancake Tuesday - 1st Mar 2014 7:23pm
Pancake mix= 20 pence, 2 eggs =30 pence, total 50 pence.
So if I go buy milk and butter that is more than 50 pence.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Pancake Tuesday - 1st Mar 2014 7:48pm
Asda mix only 17p and needs just one egg.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Pancake Tuesday - 1st Mar 2014 8:30pm
Just checked. Only 15 pence for a packet.
http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml#/product/910000436905
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Pancake Tuesday - 1st Mar 2014 8:59pm
Lemon and sugar. yum yum.
Posted By: ponytail Re: Pancake Tuesday - 1st Mar 2014 9:04pm
Syrup and bananas
Posted By: Cobby Re: Pancake Tuesday - 1st Mar 2014 9:35pm
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
If you really want to count costs...

Ingredients of pancake mix are plain flour, skimmed milk powder and salt. That's it!

So the only real difference between the packet mix and the Real Thing is that it has milk powder instead of proper milk. Delia's recipe can be made perfectly well with just one egg instead of two (two eggs give a richer batter, but it would still make very good pancakes with one), and without the butter (most of the butter is actually used to cook the pancakes, not to make the batter, and again the pancakes are fine without it), and will still taste better than the packet mix (IMHO!).

So the equivalent of your 15p batter mix would be:
110g plain flour - 3p (£0.45 for 1.5kg)
200ml milk - 9p(£1 for 4 pints/2.25l)
Pinch of salt - cost negligible
(costs based on Asda Price for their cheapest option, could possibly get cheaper from Aldi/Lidl etc)

Total 12p. Flavour and texture of pancakes infinitely better smile

I love pancakes - lemon and sugar for me too!
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Pancake Tuesday - 1st Mar 2014 10:11pm
So, if I only had 50 pence in my pocket I could not afford your option. I can go out with 50p, come back home and have pancakes. I look after my money not waste it.
I suppose I could make more pancakes each day till I ran out of flour and skimmed milk
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Pancake Tuesday - 1st Mar 2014 11:17pm
Cointreau and whipped cream.

Failing that - lemon and caster sugar.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Pancake Tuesday - 1st Mar 2014 11:31pm
Did try Savoury pancakes at one time- suggested by Softy. We had chicken in a creamy sauce, was very nice but won't be bothered if don't have any savoury pancakes.

Mr Rude (aka Plusone) isn't bothered about pancake day atall :0
'We got no kids here now' he says 'Whats the point'?

Well, I want Pancakes!!! (with lemon/ sugar). I will have some or else I will scream and scream and make myself sick!!! snob
Posted By: Cobby Re: Pancake Tuesday - 2nd Mar 2014 8:01am
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
So, if I only had 50 pence in my pocket I could not afford your option. I can go out with 50p, come back home and have pancakes. I look after my money not waste it.
I suppose I could make more pancakes each day till I ran out of flour and skimmed milk
Ah, but flour, eggs and milk are storecupboard staples which I always have in the house, which will always get used up for something and are never, ever wasted.

So I only have to go as far as my kitchen, open the cupboard and fridge, and I have pancakes. The flour is used for so many things for which there is a "packet" option which always works out more expensive to make. And your pancake mix is exactly the same one you use to make yorkshire puds, toad in the hole and for making batter for fish, chicken pieces etc.

I too look after my money and don't waste it. wink
Posted By: Cobby Re: Pancake Tuesday - 2nd Mar 2014 8:37am
Originally Posted by Moonstar
Cointreau and whipped cream.
Loving the sound of that...
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Pancake Tuesday - 2nd Mar 2014 4:22pm
I have never bought flour in my life, nor skimmed milk powder. I have yet to find something to eat that is cheaper making it at home than something ready made. I don't mean identical but I can feed myself cheaper on ready made food than making my own food. I do the occasional scouse though, you cant buy that. :-)
© Wirral-Wikiwirral