Forums
Posted By: tinkerbell44 slow cooker recipes - 10th Feb 2013 8:19pm
I've been using slow cooker for good few months now making meals like beef, lamb stews, homemade dumplings, spaghetti bol and lasagne..has anyone any recipes they recommend?

thanks in advance.
Posted By: Grandpa_George Re: slow cooker recipes - 10th Feb 2013 8:52pm
Originally Posted by tinkerbell44
I've been using slow cooker for good few months now making meals like beef, lamb stews, homemade dumplings, spaghetti bol and lasagne..has anyone any recipes they recommend?

thanks in advance.

Have you ever tried making Scouse in your slow cooker? If so, how was it?
Posted By: eggandchips Re: slow cooker recipes - 10th Feb 2013 9:02pm
ive made curry ,chilli, and assorted stews
but my favourite is a joint of brisket, just a bit of water and a couple of oxos to make stock for the gravy, bloody gorgeous
Posted By: Grandpa_George Re: slow cooker recipes - 10th Feb 2013 9:10pm
Think I might invest in one of these slow cookers, always tinkered with the idea.
Posted By: eggandchips Re: slow cooker recipes - 10th Feb 2013 9:19pm
you wont regret it gramps,
beef is melt in your mouth.

dead handy too, pop some stuff in morning and its ready for you tea, don't use much lekky either
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: slow cooker recipes - 10th Feb 2013 9:19pm
Rocks,put your pulled pork recipe up x
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: slow cooker recipes - 10th Feb 2013 9:26pm
Love my slow cooker. Braising steak, tatties an veg cooked all day while I'm at work. Yummy !

eggandchips. When you say a little water..how much? low or high setting? How long? Always fancied Brisket but never had it smile

TheMrs
Posted By: rocks Re: slow cooker recipes - 10th Feb 2013 9:34pm
heres some great recipes its where i found the pulled pork, the last one i done i smothered it in sweet chilli sauce you dont need water, i use the £3.99 1kg gammon joints from lidl, delish after about 6-8hrs

http://crockpot365.blogspot.co.uk/2007/12/alphabetical-listing-of-recipes.html
Posted By: davew3 Re: slow cooker recipes - 10th Feb 2013 9:54pm
I bought a crockpot a few weeks back, it's great, 5 a day veggies ends up in throwing any veggies we have and the beef comes out lovely.
Posted By: Grandpa_George Re: slow cooker recipes - 10th Feb 2013 10:05pm
Originally Posted by rocks
heres some great recipes its where i found the pulled pork, the last one i done i smothered it in sweet chilli sauce you dont need water, i use the £3.99 1kg gammon joints from lidl, delish after about 6-8hrs

http://crockpot365.blogspot.co.uk/2007/12/alphabetical-listing-of-recipes.html

Thanks Rocks, I've so got to get one of these now.
Posted By: Rambo Re: slow cooker recipes - 10th Feb 2013 10:12pm
I've had a slow cooker for over 20 years and I wouldn't be without it, liver casserole is to die for, any stew tastes better for cooking in it and you can buy the cheapest cut of meat and after 6 hours in a slow cooker it tastes like a premium joint. Meat falls apart, veg is tender and juicy.
Grains and pulses need soaking and boiling first though as they a lot longer than veg which takes longer than meat, to cook.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: slow cooker recipes - 10th Feb 2013 10:14pm
Originally Posted by Rambo
I've had a slow cooker for over 20 years and I wouldn't be without it, liver casserole is to die for, any stew tastes better for cooking in it and you can buy the cheapest cut of meat and after 6 hours in a slow cooker it tastes like a premium joint. Meat falls apart, veg is tender and juicy.
Grains and pulses need soaking and boiling first though as they a lot longer than veg which takes longer than meat, to cook.
In all fairness, everything you cook is to die for!
Posted By: Rambo Re: slow cooker recipes - 10th Feb 2013 10:22pm
Well, thank you ma-am!
Posted By: eggandchips Re: slow cooker recipes - 11th Feb 2013 9:01am
i just put half a cup in, this makes the base for the best gravy you will ever taste, recommend the butchers in the cherry tree rather than the big chains. low setting and leave it on over night.
Originally Posted by Headcoat_TheMrs
Love my slow cooker. Braising steak, tatties an veg cooked all day while I'm at work. Yummy !

eggandchips. When you say a little water..how much? low or high setting? How long? Always fancied Brisket but never had it smile

TheMrs
Posted By: eggandchips Re: slow cooker recipes - 11th Feb 2013 9:03am
i bought my first one in 1980, and it inly packed in last year

Originally Posted by Rambo
Posted By: saltytom Re: slow cooker recipes - 11th Feb 2013 9:14am
Oxtail casserole, throw any veg you have in season maybe an oxo get it up to temp and leave on on low for 6 hours.
The oxtail just melts in your mouth.
Posted By: tinkerbell44 Re: slow cooker recipes - 11th Feb 2013 9:37am
yes I have grandpa George..however I used baby stock and didnt add gravyas was for my 7 month old son too..the meat just melts in the mouth.

I've also done my chicken in there for Sunday roast it falls off the bone, then use all juices to make gravy =lush..

does anyone have any soup or curry recipes from scratch??
Posted By: eggandchips Re: slow cooker recipes - 11th Feb 2013 11:59am
i just put any veg ive got with meat of choice make a paste with maykway curry powder small amount of water and hey presto, same goes with the soup, i just use what ever is in the house.and a couple of stock cubes

i can really recommend pork ribs, put them in on their own and after a couple of hours, drain off all the liquid, pour in equal amounts of tom ketchup and brown sauce, and a bit of chilli paste if you like it hot, then cook until ready mmmmmmmm
Posted By: tinkerbell44 Re: slow cooker recipes - 11th Feb 2013 6:35pm
gonna give that curry a go and those ribs do sound divine thanks ;-)
Posted By: granny Re: slow cooker recipes - 11th Feb 2013 8:36pm
What make of slow cooker is the best , do you think? Might invest as they sound really good. Does it matter if you have a big one but only half fill it sometimes?
Posted By: buddy Re: slow cooker recipes - 11th Feb 2013 8:50pm
Originally Posted by granny
What make of slow cooker is the best , do you think? Might invest as they sound really good. Does it matter if you have a big one but only half fill it sometimes?

I bought one from ASDA for £10 - don't think it's the best but does the job well enough for me
Posted By: tinkerbell44 Re: slow cooker recipes - 11th Feb 2013 8:54pm

I've got a swan one granny was £35 and it's great and I only ever half fill mine.
Posted By: rocks Re: slow cooker recipes - 11th Feb 2013 8:54pm
mine is 3 litres and its big enough for a family, i paid £12.99 or £14.99? from TJs
Posted By: granny Re: slow cooker recipes - 11th Feb 2013 8:55pm
Thanks buddy. What is the difference between a slow cooker and a crock pot please? Was never much good in the kitchen really! Use a cauldron most of the time.
Posted By: tinkerbell44 Re: slow cooker recipes - 11th Feb 2013 9:01pm
Thanks buddy. What is the difference between a slow cooker and a crock pot please? Was never much good in the kitchen really! Use a cauldron most of the time.

a crock pot is/ was a brand name.
Posted By: eggandchips Re: slow cooker recipes - 11th Feb 2013 9:10pm
just tucking into my beef curry now, bloody lovely
Originally Posted by tinkerbell44
gonna give that curry a go and those ribs do sound divine thanks ;-)
Posted By: granny Re: slow cooker recipes - 11th Feb 2013 9:10pm
Thanks Tinkerb ell. All is becoming clearer! Think it is time to get one. The recipes sound really tastey.
Posted By: granny Re: slow cooker recipes - 11th Feb 2013 9:16pm
Originally Posted by rocks
mine is 3 litres and its big enough for a family, i paid £12.99 or £14.99? from TJs

Thanks Rocks. They are a good price too. I saw some for about £30 but wasn't' sure if the cheaper ones were worth it. Obviously they are.
Posted By: rocks Re: slow cooker recipes - 11th Feb 2013 9:39pm
its like anything you can choose to pay for the "name" or not, i always choose not if i can
Posted By: Anonymous Re: slow cooker recipes - 14th Feb 2013 3:48pm
I bought a Morphy Richards Partition Slow Cooker** last year. £35.99p from Argos. (I had a pile of free vouchers to use up) It's 2 x 3L capacity. You can just use one section of it for a small meal or both for Hog-sized meals! Uses about 200w on high setting. Very pleased with it. A bonzo sweet curry is quietly simmering away in it as I speak. Will do me 2 or 3 meals. 4 to 6 hrs cooks most stuff to perfection.

Roll on teatime !

Say 5hrs @ 200w = 1kw = 14.3p (day rate) or 7.0p (night rate)
A LOT cheaper than using your average oven for sure.

** Made in China - like everything else of course.

Posted By: Revend Re: slow cooker recipes - 21st Feb 2013 10:49am
I like this topic. It is very interesting. I found some interesting slow cooker recipes. I would like to thank you for all sharing such a wonderful recipe ideas.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: slow cooker recipes - 20th May 2014 9:26pm
We have joined the Slow Cooker fans, bought one and it arrived today. smile

I am in a group on facebook about healthy eating on a budget and a lot of the recipes uploaded are for slow cookers and so with that in mind and rave reviews from friends and family we bought one....

Prepped potato, veg and meat ready for a One Pot Wonder for its maiden voyage tomorrow.

Looking forward to trying the infamous 'pulled pork' and also bought some braising steak for later in the week- not sure what to do with it though??
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: slow cooker recipes - 22nd May 2014 7:55pm
Hope this turns out ok for tomorrows tea. I've browned braising steak and placed in s.c.

Fried onions with some garlic. Then I made a paste with cornflour, water and mustard- added it to leftover stock, to thicken.

Plonked in s.c. Ready to be cooked for 8-10 hours on low.
Posted By: venice Re: slow cooker recipes - 22nd May 2014 8:38pm
Down to me, not the equipment, but I never mastered them. Either exposed food above liquid level went brown/dried out, or too much liquid gave a 'thin' taste, and trying to thicken anything during cooking led to disgusting lumpy results. And oh- the potatoes just didnt seem to want to cook half the time when other stuff with it,was ready. Good job I never had to cook for a living Id be out on my ear!
Posted By: tedmus Re: slow cooker recipes - 22nd May 2014 10:00pm
http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/20012/slow-cooker-irish-beef-stew.aspx?o_is=SR

This is a good recipe for stew, cooked it a few times and always turned out good.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: slow cooker recipes - 22nd May 2014 10:22pm
Originally Posted by venice
Down to me, not the equipment, but I never mastered them. Either exposed food above liquid level went brown/dried out, or too much liquid gave a 'thin' taste, and trying to thicken anything during cooking led to disgusting lumpy results. And oh- the potatoes just didnt seem to want to cook half the time when other stuff with it,was ready. Good job I never had to cook for a living Id be out on my ear!
The 'One Pot Wonder' was a success-never cut a chop with a spoon before?? However, far too much liquid- did not realise that potatoes and veg 'water out'.

Using some of the excess fluid for tomorrows tea:I learnt that mixing the cornflour with water to form a paste is better than just dumping cornflour in a 'thin gravy'?? Once smooth, it avoids lumps. Hope this helps.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: slow cooker recipes - 22nd May 2014 10:29pm
Originally Posted by tedmus
http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/20012/slow-cooker-irish-beef-stew.aspx?o_is=SR

This is a good recipe for stew, cooked it a few times and always turned out good.
Mouth is watering....... yumyum
Posted By: venice Re: slow cooker recipes - 23rd May 2014 2:00pm
Thanks Rude , Ill try the cornflour next time instead of flour. Since OH got a Remoska we dont use the slow cooker much but it certainly would be convenient for 'meals to come home to' . Dont eat meat myself , but its still on the menu here , so I could do with reviving that method of cooking.

Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Originally Posted by venice
The 'One Pot Wonder' was a success-never cut a chop with a spoon before?? However, far too much liquid- did not realise that potatoes and veg 'water out'.

Using some of the excess fluid for tomorrows tea:I learnt that mixing the cornflour with water to form a paste is better than just dumping cornflour in a 'thin gravy'?? Once smooth, it avoids lumps. Hope this helps.
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: slow cooker recipes - 16th Nov 2014 6:08pm
Chicken and Chorizo Pasta

Chicken and Chorizo cut into chunks
Red Yellow and Green peppers
Red and White onion
Tin of tomatoes
Chuck it all in give it a good stir and leave on low for 6-8 hours
30 mins before done add cooked pasta, stir again and cook with lid off on high

Delish
Posted By: Giggler Re: slow cooker recipes - 16th Nov 2014 6:12pm
Luverly Jubberly. I think there should be a specific recipe thread. I could learn a lot!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: slow cooker recipes - 16th Nov 2014 6:17pm

Attached picture Doner Meat Fakeaway - Slow Cooker.jpg
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: slow cooker recipes - 16th Nov 2014 6:21pm
Pizza Swirls

100g butter
3 cup fulls (235ml per cup) self raising flour
1 cup milk
tomato puree
any filling u like sweet and savoury

i used tomato puree, cheese, onion, mushroom, pineapple chunks and bacon pieces.

mix the butter, milk and flour in a bowl
knead till its a smooth texture
roll out into a rectangle shape 1/2cm thickness
cover with your choosen ingrediants
roll up into a swiss roll shape and cut into swirls
layer the pot with grease proof paper and put the swirls ontop
put a tea towel under the lid to stop the condensation dripping while cooking so they dont go soggy.

2.5hrs high or 4.5hrs low
Posted By: Giggler Re: slow cooker recipes - 16th Nov 2014 6:27pm
Honestly your talents are endless. Even if all the men have tuned out! Hi ho
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: slow cooker recipes - 16th Nov 2014 6:28pm

Love the tea towel idea rude smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: slow cooker recipes - 28th Dec 2014 2:06am
Experiment: cubed turkey. cubed potato, carrot and swede, cubed sprouts, sprinkle of curry powder, onion, small pieces of parsnip and a pint of oxo beef stock, garlic and herbs. On slow.... right now......Hoping it turns out nice· We will see...... Not sure what I am hoping for......ideally, a casserole or blend into a soup??

*Hate waste, love food
Posted By: eggandchips Re: slow cooker recipes - 28th Dec 2014 2:59am
you need to be careful not to put too much liquid in as it doesnt evaporate, can end up quite watery
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: slow cooker recipes - 28th Dec 2014 9:21pm
Originally Posted by eggandchips
you need to be careful not to put too much liquid in as it doesnt evaporate, can end up quite watery
Turned out beautiful. One of my early mistakes was 'too much liquid'. thumbsup
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: slow cooker recipes - 4th Apr 2015 9:02pm
Bought 10 of these bad boys for a £1 yesterday, in FarmFoods

http://www.maggi.co.uk/products/so-tender/italian-herbs-chicken/

Was planning to wrap tomorrows Leg of Lamb in them but was concerned about fire hazards.

Anyway, if any of you fancy a bargain to jazz up your meat-joint. You only need to plonk one on top of your meat in the slow-cooker for like 2-3 minutes, the herbs just melt off the paper.
Posted By: eggandchips Re: slow cooker recipes - 5th Apr 2015 3:22am
i buy a whole boneless leg of lamb, absolutely beautiful
make a kleftiko

superb
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: slow cooker recipes - 20th Nov 2016 8:19pm
Oh, behold!! Slow cooker season is upon us. smile

Made Roasted Sweet Potato Soup. Chocolate Fudge Cake (birthday cake) in mine this weekend.

Now have 1kg of cubed beef, mushrooms and onion in-situ...un-decided what to do with it when it is done though.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral