Forums
Posted By: Chris_M Found Rum Baba - 23rd Feb 2012 12:11pm
Hi all found a shop that sells rum baba’s , was on my hols last week and found a shop in Gibraltar, bit far to go for another one but was a nice treat laugh
Posted By: granny Re: Found Rum Baba - 23rd Feb 2012 1:02pm
Rum Baba's! Delicious. Used to get those in the El Kabala in Bold Street, Liverpool.

Do you remember the Eulah Shop in Lord Street, Southport? I have searched for info on that for years. Eulah was a creamy candy, of toffee consistency, shaped into balls and sold in white boxes. The big arm that mixed the candy, was on display in the shop window and would go around and around. It never seemed to stop and very mesmerizing.
I think the recipe must have died with the shop.
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Found Rum Baba - 23rd Feb 2012 1:20pm
see this granny

http://www.southportgb.co.uk/showthread.php?t=37902&page=1
Posted By: granny Re: Found Rum Baba - 23rd Feb 2012 2:21pm
Originally Posted by softshoes

Well blow me! Thanks softshoes. smile

Posted By: snowshoes Re: Found Rum Baba - 23rd Feb 2012 2:37pm
It's strange granny, your comments switched on a light in my memory. In my minds eye I can see that machine and smell the contents. The name doesn't ring a bell but I may have known them by a different name. I grew up in New Brighton and practicly lived on Victoria Rd and the Prom.
Posted By: granny Re: Found Rum Baba - 23rd Feb 2012 2:39pm
Originally Posted by Chris_M
Hi all found a shop that sells rum baba’s , was on my hols last week and found a shop in Gibraltar, bit far to go for another one but was a nice treat laugh

Here you are Chris_M .......Il Forno, Duke Street,Liverpool.
Maybe a little nearer than Gib. if they are still on the menu. Find just a little further than half the way down the page.

http://www.liverpoolrestaurantreview.co.uk/2011/09/il-forno.html
Posted By: granny Re: Found Rum Baba - 23rd Feb 2012 2:49pm
It's strange granny, your comments switched on a light in my memory. In my minds eye I can see that machine and smell the contents. The name doesn't ring a bell but I may have known them by a different name. I grew up in New Brighton and practicly lived on Victoria Rd and the Prom.

Yes Softshoes, there was a disitictive smell in the shop and I can remember taste of them now. They were a bit chewy to start off with, but so moorish. Did they have one in New Brighton too?
Posted By: granny Re: Found Rum Baba - 23rd Feb 2012 2:59pm
This one in Chester too.
You could become the 'Rum Baba Sniffer Outerer' official for the best Rum Baba's in the North West.

http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/restaurants/uk/view/102870/La_Brasserie_at_the_Chester_Grosvenor
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Found Rum Baba - 23rd Feb 2012 3:24pm
Originally Posted by granny

Yes Softshoes, there was a disitictive smell in the shop and I can remember taste of them now. They were a bit chewy to start off with, but so moorish. Did they have one in New Brighton too?

I'm sure there was but my memory won't tell me exactly where. smack
Posted By: Tatey Re: Found Rum Baba - 23rd Feb 2012 3:33pm
"Eulah Limited" Victoria Rd. New Brighton. Left hand side heading to the river. William Butler was the manager & I loved them!
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Found Rum Baba - 23rd Feb 2012 3:52pm
Thanks for that Tatey. I loved them too. Can taste them now.
Posted By: Mosaic Re: Found Rum Baba - 23rd Feb 2012 4:21pm
This one in Chester too.
You could become the 'Rum Baba Sniffer Outerer' official for the best Rum Baba's in the North West.

http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/restaurants/uk/view/102870/La_Brasserie_at_the_Chester_Grosvenor

That's a bit posh. blush I get my rum babas from Sainsbury's. I tried making my own once, and they were 'orrible.
Posted By: granny Re: Found Rum Baba - 23rd Feb 2012 6:14pm
Originally Posted by Mosaic
This one in Chester too.

That's a bit posh. blush I get my rum babas from Sainsbury's. I tried making my own once, and they were 'orrible.

Yes, isn't it? What an 'experience' it could be!
It must still be cheaper than taking off to Gibralter. Can't imagine Sainsbury's come up to scratch, but Mosaic,I will try them on your recommendation.
Posted By: Mosaic Re: Found Rum Baba - 23rd Feb 2012 8:32pm
Maybe add a splash of rum to help it along smile
Posted By: Chris_M Re: Found Rum Baba - 24th Feb 2012 11:02am
Thanks for all your help I will have to go and get some, it shows this web site is Fantastic smile always someone out there ready to help.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral