Forums
Posted By: free_spirit The Old Quay carvery - 20th Aug 2011 3:51pm
has anyone been recently?

we went few weeks ago and the food was awful, potatoes almost black and hollow...
which is unusual as have been there tons of times and usually spot on.
friend went last weekend, same she didn't like it either , over cooked and dried out meat...

can anyone reccomend another carvery?
we are in wallasey, but don't mind travelling a bit if its nice.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The Old Quay carvery - 20th Aug 2011 4:44pm
Its that time of year, usual chef's on holiday possibly etc
Posted By: Focuzed Re: The Old Quay carvery - 20th Aug 2011 5:09pm
We can highly recomend the "Toby Inn" been there 10 times never a bad meal, not as cheap as some but quality makes up for it.
If you travel along the M53 and take the turn off for "Chester" take the 1st turning on the left and its 10 yards on the right.
If you go on sunday at 12pm when it opens you dont have to wait long, its straight in and fill ye boots, otherwise its take a seat and they give you a buzzer, oh, and soft drinks, buy one and refill as many times as you like.
Posted By: mrsmonroe Re: The Old Quay carvery - 20th Aug 2011 6:27pm
Being OBSESSED with roast dinners :0) I have tried every carvery within a 40 mile radius haha. Unfortunately they all fail when it comes to the weekends! so unprepared for the crowd tut but midweek the one of the cheshire oaks motorway (god am sorry i dont drive so your probably thinking..what!) I think its the one the posts above mentioned, Toby carvery? thats super midweek but the weekend staff are a sandwhich short of a picnic haha.

We use to love the Old Quay untill are recent visit one sunny afternoon were we had to share the food line with a group of lads without any shirts! and loud voices! am not a snob! only when it comes to eating funny enough haha
Posted By: yewgarth Re: The Old Quay carvery - 20th Aug 2011 8:16pm
mersey clipper
Posted By: cmw2a Re: The Old Quay carvery - 20th Aug 2011 9:23pm
Try 'The Moby Dick' in West Kirby - brilliant!
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: The Old Quay carvery - 20th Aug 2011 10:17pm
Originally Posted by cmw2a
Nice food smile
Posted By: yewgarth Re: The Old Quay carvery - 21st Aug 2011 12:03am
i remember going to the old quay carvery once, the yorkshire puds were rock hard, i nearly broke my teeth on one. Also the veggies were cold.
Posted By: Tombraider Re: The Old Quay carvery - 21st Aug 2011 12:07am
Originally Posted by yewgarth
i remember going to the old quay carvery once, the yorkshire puds were rock hard, i nearly broke my teeth on one. Also the veggies were cold.
DiD you complain and get your money back, or ask for new teeth?
Posted By: dave_h Re: The Old Quay carvery - 21st Aug 2011 12:16am
Not a fan of gleg arms, food was nice but staff had poor attitude which is not the best thing to front me with especially on mums birthday. Outdoor area is excellent though
Posted By: free_spirit Re: The Old Quay carvery - 21st Aug 2011 6:21am
thanks to you all, a few mentioned their to try. smile
Posted By: Snodvan Re: The Old Quay carvery - 24th Aug 2011 2:51pm
Last Sunday the Mrs and I went with mum to the Parkgate Old Quay buffet - it was fine.

The place was busy and as usual slightly noisy with young kids. However, that does not bother us indeed it almost provides a type of entertainment.

The buffet was good - OK, we get the impression that they are carving the meat a bit thinner, perhaps to hold the price as costs have gone up, but there was still ample. I wanted a pud after (because I'm a piggy) and it was low coming after ordering. I made a comment about that - and received a full refund and managers compliments with the pud. Fair enough.

Mrs and I are looking forward to one day when our son is home from the USA we will take him there and order the "magnum" sized meal for him. He is always saying how big the portions served are in USA places. I have been to the US and the Old Quay will beat them.

Snod
Posted By: Snodvan Re: The Old Quay carvery - 24th Aug 2011 5:13pm
oops - typo

"and it was low coming after ordering" = and it was SLOW coming after ordering

Tut tut. Must be more careful

S.
Posted By: Sallybear Re: The Old Quay carvery - 24th Aug 2011 6:07pm
The Best Carvery in the area has to be Sheldrakes, I think their carvery is about £13-ish but you get 5 courses. A bowl of homemade lovely soup to start, then a salad course with breads cheeses pastas and all sorts, then the carvery which is delicious. They cook small roasts so you never get one which has sat under hot lights for ages, they just have loads of them and then lovely dessert and coffee. Worth every penny, it's more like going to a proper restaurant than a carvery.

I've been to the Old Quay and to be honest you get what you £3.99 pays for, big queues loads of noise and no personal service, but I have eaten there and it's always tasted nice.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: The Old Quay carvery - 24th Aug 2011 6:39pm
We tried taking mum to Sheldrakes and agree that the several courses etc are interesting. However, all 5 courses were simply too much for an old lady (she is 93) so for us it was not value. It was also a length walk for mum from the car park

Where she did like, very much, was the Marsh Cat in Parkgate. Not self service of course but we had just the set menu which was good value - superbly presented and very tasty. Some may say the servings, while decorative, were a bit on the smaller side (not really in my view) but they suited mum

Snod
Posted By: TudorBlue Re: The Old Quay carvery - 2nd Sep 2011 2:42pm

Been there a few times and it is decent. In fact....might go this sunday
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The Old Quay carvery - 2nd Sep 2011 3:06pm
Moby dick is dearer on Sundays than other days.
Posted By: sunnyside Re: The Old Quay carvery - 17th Aug 2012 5:32pm
rock station opposite train station carvery allday till 8ish £3.95 choice of 6veg place been re-furbished good smoking place outside, very fresh
Posted By: sunnyside Re: The Old Quay carvery - 17th Aug 2012 5:33pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Moby dick is dearer on Sundays than other daymost carveries are dearer on sundayss.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: The Old Quay carvery - 17th Aug 2012 8:08pm
My Mum used to love the Marsh Cat too, she was 94. It is difficult if there is just one of you with an elderly person so being served is so much easier. Never been let down with the food there either. Bit off thread here because we never went on a Sunday, always mid-week.
Posted By: Salmon Re: The Old Quay carvery - 17th Aug 2012 8:19pm
The Boathouse in Parkgate is fabulous but you do need to book, especially at weekends although they will try to fit you in even if not in the main restaurant area. Of course it is not a carvery but nice to sit down and be served properly.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: The Old Quay carvery - 17th Aug 2012 9:19pm
Originally Posted by free_spirit
has anyone been recently?

we went few weeks ago and the food was awful, potatoes almost black and hollow...
which is unusual as have been there tons of times and usually spot on.
friend went last weekend, same she didn't like it either , over cooked and dried out meat...

can anyone reccomend another carvery?
we are in wallasey, but don't mind travelling a bit if its nice.

I went last Sunday with mum & Mrs (3pm-ish)- was excellent. Place busy but not chaotic

Snod
© Wirral-Wikiwirral