Forums
Posted By: parkgater condensed milk - 15th Aug 2011 1:09pm
Wot happened to fussels conny onny?
Posted By: bert1 Re: condensed milk - 15th Aug 2011 1:57pm
Still available according to a Google, along with Nestle and Carnation, I've got a tin of Carnation in the fridge, bought by mistake mind but I'll open it and spoon feed myself with it if need be, yummy yum.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: condensed milk - 15th Aug 2011 2:05pm
Mmmmmmmmm... Conny onny (?) Open lid. Teaspoon at the ready. Yummy!
It's impossible just to have ONE spoonful only. IMHO of course.
Posted By: Tatey Re: condensed milk - 15th Aug 2011 3:11pm
Conny Onny in me tea. Conny Onny butties, sheer heaven. Always had one at the bottom of the Christmas stocking.
Posted By: davew3 Re: condensed milk - 15th Aug 2011 4:30pm
Oh come on, leave it out, I'm on a diet, just not fair. yumyum
Posted By: free_spirit Re: condensed milk - 15th Aug 2011 4:46pm
Originally Posted by parkgater
Wot happened to fussels conny onny?

its still in shops bought out by nestle

FUSSELLS CONDENSED MILK - CARNATION CONDENSED MILK
For all you loyal Fussell’s fans, you are probably wondering what has happened to it. Well, it has simply taken on a fresh new look and is now called Carnation Condensed Milk. The recipe has not changed at all, so it is just as tasty as it always has been. And, because it is made with skimmed milk, you can afford to treat yourself, friends and family with delicious but lighter desserts and sweet treats.

Carnation and Carnation Light Condensed Milk are available in traditional cans and also new convenient squeezy bottles. All packs have easy to create recipes on them -
Posted By: hoseman Re: condensed milk - 15th Aug 2011 5:09pm
remember as a sprog my dad giving me a conny onny butty to shut me up!!!
Posted By: free_spirit Re: condensed milk - 15th Aug 2011 5:16pm
my mum used to have a tin in fridge with a tea spoon in it...yuk! lol
Posted By: dodie Re: condensed milk - 15th Aug 2011 7:52pm
my grandad use to have it in his tea with 4 sugars as well ee ha ha
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: condensed milk - 15th Aug 2011 10:52pm
It comes in squeezy tubes these days, no need for the spoon, wicked stuff!!!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: condensed milk - 16th Aug 2011 12:32am
eww! condensed milk over tinned fruit was a staple pudding (or 'pudna' as i call it) as a kid!

eww. its Gross!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: condensed milk - 16th Aug 2011 1:00am
Wasn't that evaporated milk on tinned fruit? I hate tinned fruit!

Conny-onny (sweetened condensed) butties were a once a year treat for us.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: condensed milk - 16th Aug 2011 1:12am
Apologies! Conny onny is something else then?
Sorry, i assumed something else.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: condensed milk - 16th Aug 2011 7:23am
Conny onny (Condensed milk) is very viscous stuff. Would be difficult to "pour" it. Got to say I love evap over tinned fruit too.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: condensed milk - 16th Aug 2011 8:51am
Having spent a while in Latin America I know about Arequipe (spelling varies a bit) also known as Dulce de Leche.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dulce_de_leche

That is caramelised conny-onny
Yummy

Widely available in Latin America and served on/ in ice cream and on puds & biscuits. They sell little pots of the stuff for kid's lunchboxes

DIY version
http://www.mycolombianrecipes.com/arequipe-or-dulce-de-leche

There is a shortcut for preparing arequipe. Put a can of sweetened condensed milk in a pot of boiling water. The water should fully cover the can which must not be opened. Boil it for about 5 hours,adding water constantly to compensate for evaporation. Let it cool down 30 minutes before opening the can and you'll get a pretty good arequipe. I have also done this using a pressure cooker. Worked fine.

You can buy Arequipe in Tesco (sometimes) but often it has added flavours eg banana (yuk)

Snod
Posted By: bri445 Re: condensed milk - 16th Aug 2011 9:03am
Famously used in the tea can our dads and grandads took to work, e.g.Lairds. With the dry tea added, it was carryable to work without spilling. Just add boiling water for the most convenient cuppa!
Probably still used, as you can still buy the can.

Attached picture 217+ZjGzLWL__AA115_.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: condensed milk - 16th Aug 2011 9:13am
Originally Posted by bri445
Famously used in the tea can our dads and grandads took to work, e.g.Lairds. With the dry tea added, it was carryable to work without spilling. Just add boiling water for the most convenient cuppa!
Probably still used, as you can still buy the can.

Yes, my granddad used to take it to work at the electricity works in Bentinck St. He used to make two packets wrapped in greaseproof paper, so as to be able to have two brews.
Posted By: bert1 Re: condensed milk - 16th Aug 2011 9:13am
I just couldn't throw it out Bri.

Attached picture dedede 001.jpg
Attached picture dedede 002.jpg
Posted By: bri445 Re: condensed milk - 16th Aug 2011 9:21am
That's had a hard life!
Posted By: bri445 Re: condensed milk - 16th Aug 2011 9:30am
Use up those 'old' tins of conny onny to make Coconut Pyramids with a chocolate top. Easiest kind of 'cookery'! (Check the web for the recipe.)
Posted By: bert1 Re: condensed milk - 16th Aug 2011 9:31am
Not by me may i add, it was given to me by an uncle who gave it good use, i soon moved on to one of those new fandangled flask thingys that kept breaking with the slightest knock. Here is the question, do they still sell flask inners?
Posted By: bri445 Re: condensed milk - 16th Aug 2011 9:35am
Don't bother!
They're inner and outer in stainless steel now. Life does get better in some ways!
Posted By: bert1 Re: condensed milk - 16th Aug 2011 9:44am
I have a few of those in various sizes, not convinced water stays hotter longer than the good old glass inned thermos flask, though i can give them a whack without to much worry.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: condensed milk - 16th Aug 2011 10:12am
Last time I bought a replacement "inner", it was only a few pence short of a complete new flask! When that one went, I changed over to the stainless ones. You may be right Bert on stainless being not quite as efficient as Mr Dewar's effort ! There again, I may just have a "downer" on them because they are NEW !!! Grrrrrr. !! Dammit. Mutter mutter.
Posted By: bert1 Re: condensed milk - 16th Aug 2011 10:44am

Yes, my granddad used to take it to work at the electricity works in Bentinck St. He used to make two packets wrapped in greaseproof paper, so as to be able to have two brews. [/quote]

Chris really did come from posh stock, wrapped up in grease proof paper while the rest of us had to make do with the previous nights echo, tea leaves and two sugars in a made up envelope. I bet he was that posh he moved on to Marvel before the rest of us.
Posted By: chriskay Re: condensed milk - 16th Aug 2011 11:52am
Originally Posted by bert1

Chris really did come from posh stock, wrapped up in grease proof paper while the rest of us had to make do with the previous nights echo,

Previous night's Echo? You were lucky; we had to use a month old Birkenhead News which had been used to line the budgie's cage.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: condensed milk - 16th Aug 2011 1:15pm
Originally Posted by bert1
I have a few of those in various sizes, not convinced water stays hotter longer than the good old glass inned thermos flask, though i can give them a whack without to much worry.

Agree with you Bert - the stainless steel flasks are rubbish compared to the glass type. Mrs goes out with the Ramblers and likes to keep a flask of some hot brew in the coach for when she gets back after a day treking. I bought her a stainless flask thinking it would last well and be easier to clean. Rubbish.

Snod
Posted By: Tombraider Re: condensed milk - 16th Aug 2011 5:41pm
Condensed milk and apple tart yum!
Posted By: Tatey Re: condensed milk - 16th Aug 2011 5:57pm
BERT,

I am a little worried about the "Light" version!
Posted By: parkgater Re: condensed milk - 16th Aug 2011 6:03pm
Full fat can fer me, wish the real thing was still around with the butterfly on the label,
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: condensed milk - 18th Aug 2011 9:52am
Some lucky kids got a little job with the workers and their tea cans, the job was actually known as "can lad" and they got coppers for sorting out the boiling water and making the brews. All them coppers added up though and they used to do alright compared to the rest of us. can lad often led to an apprenticeship as well.
Posted By: bert1 Re: condensed milk - 18th Aug 2011 9:56am
When starting an apprenticeship and on giving up being a can lad it meant a drop in money.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: condensed milk - 18th Aug 2011 10:25am
right on there bert, sometimes can lad was used as a derogatory term as well, meaning the bottom of the pecking order.
Posted By: HistoricalTony Re: condensed milk - 20th Oct 2011 11:17am
it is now available in a squeezy tube in morrisons, i had it in my hot chocolate the other day was well nice
Posted By: Abakumss Re: condensed milk - 7th Dec 2023 1:14pm
I can understand your nostalgia for Fussels Conny Onny condensed milk. It's always disappointing when a favorite product seems to disappear from the market.
Posted By: Abakumss Re: condensed milk - 11th Dec 2023 12:03pm
Originally Posted by Abakumss
I can understand your nostalgia for Fussels Conny Onny condensed milk. It's always disappointing when a favorite product seems to disappear from the market.
If you're looking for a similar ingredient to use in your cooking and baking, you might want to explore the option of milk powder.
It is a versatile and long-lasting alternative. It can be a great addition to your pantry, as it can be used in a wide range of recipes, from baking to making creamy sauces and even as a coffee creamer.
If you have any specific recipes or dishes in mind that you used to make with Fussels Conny Onny, feel free to share them.
Posted By: drumgarron Re: condensed milk - 13th Jan 2024 5:43pm
Yep - I remember the Conny Onny butties especially....along with sugar butties, tomato sauce butties, salad cream butties etc. Much that I'd love to, I couldn't bear Conny Onny on my sensitive teeth now !
© Wirral-Wikiwirral