2 medium onions, finely sliced
10 curry leaves
1 green chilli pepper, halved lengthways and deseeded
4-5 black peppercorns, cracked
1 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
1/2(half) teaspoon turmeric powder
6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cubed
225ml water
1 teaspoon garam masal (or curry powder)
1/2(half) teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Using a pestle and mortar, pound the garlic and ginger to a paste. Heat the oil in a frying-pan over a medium heat. Add the onions, curry leaves, chilli and cracked peppercorns. Cook for 15 minutes, sitrring, until the onions are golden (Don't caramalise them or it will affect the taste)
Reduce the heat, add the ginger paste. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring now and again.
Stir in the corriander seeds, turmeric, a little salt and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the chicken and stir, then add the water and garam masala, mixing well. Cover and cook on until the chicken is ready. Stir in the pepper just before serving.

This is a cracker, not a Madras type curry, but spicy. Add a ouple of boiled potato chunks as well, just to Brit it up.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Chicken Curry Superb - 10th Jan 2011 3:30pm
just a recipe will be ok thanks summer.
Posted By: rocketqueen Re: Chicken Curry Superb - 12th Jan 2011 9:21am
ahh bandy gld to see someone else uses mortar and pestle and not curry in a jar......i always use basmati rice with my curries as it isnt as starchy ....add saffron sometimes and cardoman pods ...yummy x
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Chicken Curry Superb - 12th Jan 2011 10:01am
on the same wavelength alright queen. Love the Madras curry too. Got my basmati in bulk from the International Shop at Charing Cross. 14.99 for 5 kilo i think it is, very nice. I throw some sultanas in the rice as well, all these little things add up to a very yummy experience.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Chicken Curry Superb - 12th Jan 2011 10:07am
I've asked about yours on the chat thread, how was it then summer?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral