Forums
Posted By: BandyCoot Hodge????? - 20th Apr 2010 9:10am
It's cropped up on another thread and I used to eat the stuff myself years ago but what is it?
I thought it was either cows udder or pigs stomach, boiled by the butcher and sold on trays. It was then soaked in vinegar and scoffed. Birkenhead dockers used to call Liverpudlians "Hodge Eaters", or at least my Uncle Bob did.
Anybody remember this stuff?
Posted By: daveybm Re: Hodge????? - 20th Apr 2010 12:20pm
Well remember Hodge, it was cooked pigs stomach, as you say soaked in vinegar and tasted great well it did the last time I ate it about 45 years ago. I don't know if you can still get, probably banned by the H&S numpties.

Dave
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Hodge????? - 20th Apr 2010 1:00pm
Nice one Dave, just been in town and my southern butcher has never heard of it, however he is going to find out. Must be about 45 since I last had some as well, and I loved it. Cheers!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Hodge????? - 20th Apr 2010 4:51pm
Originally Posted by daveybm
Well remember Hodge, it was cooked pigs stomach, as you say soaked in vinegar and tasted great well it did the last time I ate it about 45 years ago. I don't know if you can still get, probably banned by the H&S numpties.

Dave
Isn't that called "Tripe", as well as human consumption it was used to feed show dogs as very little fat content.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Hodge????? - 20th Apr 2010 5:45pm
Tripe is certainly from cattle, maybe Hodge is the pigs equivalent, both from the stomach.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Hodge????? - 20th Apr 2010 5:52pm
hodge is from sheep, mainly mutton
Posted By: AndyW Re: Hodge????? - 20th Apr 2010 6:19pm
tripe is the stomach lining of a cow, and hodge is a pigs stomach and yes you can still buy it, you can get tripe from country stores in birkenhead market along with pigs feet, tales, and heads from other butchers in the market.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Hodge????? - 21st Apr 2010 12:36pm
Tripe is the cow stomach. Honeycomb tripe is the second stomach and reckoned to be the best, leaf tripe is the 3rd stomach. There was a possibility that the 1st stomach may provide hodge, which is what I was thinking originally as it is called Blanket or flat and has two different layers. I'll settle for pigs as being hodge.
Posted By: MrBrightside Re: Hodge????? - 21st Apr 2010 1:47pm
Link! http://www.almanac.com/recipe/hodge-podge
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Hodge????? - 21st Apr 2010 4:17pm
Been confirmed, Hodge is pig stomach. Hodge Eater also used as a Birkenhead insult to Liverpuds. All the dictionaries don't seem to know that.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral