Forums
Posted By: RUDEBOX Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 9th Oct 2009 11:14pm
What do you call this edible delight?

Buttie
Sarnie
Sandwich
Something else?
And
Triangle or
Rectangle?

Im a triangle butty person myself btw altho can 'cope' with square butty if its basic ie plastic ham, paste etc
The more effort that goes into it increases the probability that it will be triangular.
Thoughts?
Posted By: Stegga Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 9th Oct 2009 11:22pm
Am definately in the Buttie Brigade. Always had rectangle cut when i was a kid, we thought only posh people had triangles. It was a revelation when i got married and was served up triangles by the wife. I thought i'd made it! I'd moved up a class! Nah, she shattered my illusions and told me anyone could have triangles. Damn my council estate upbringing ha ha. smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 9th Oct 2009 11:29pm
Pmsl. My fella's the same! He finks triangles are posh and wont eat them!! I always had square as a kid too so maybe i think im getting one over me mum?!
Used to work in a bupa run nursing home as a waitress-they wud go a step TOO FAR and do quarter triangles wiv no crusts, standin up wiv a bit of cress+ tömato!? Bit much that like.
Posted By: bri445 Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 9th Oct 2009 11:30pm
Buttie, when I was a kid, a long time ago.
Sarnie or doorstep or tram-stopper, when taking lunchbox to work.
Sandwich, when Mum made them, or for invited guests now I'm retired.
My sandwich toaster starts off square and converts it to 2 triangles. How clever is that!

Bri
coffee
Posted By: Stegga Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 9th Oct 2009 11:36pm
Remember once when i was about 18 and working on one of Maggies y.o.p. schemes as a builders labourer. My mum had done my carry-out. Yeah, nice one mum, pretty triangles with the crusts cut off... on a building site! What have you got sarnies today Lah-de-dah? was the question every lunchtime for months. smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 9th Oct 2009 11:46pm
Originally Posted by stegga
Remember once when i was about 18 and working on one of Maggies y.o.p. schemes as a builders labourer. My mum had done my carry-out. Yeah, nice one mum, pretty triangles with the crusts cut off... on a building site! What have you got sarnies today Lah-de-dah? was the question every lunchtime for months. smile
nooooo! Lol.
Funny how people 'genderise' buttys tho!
At home i'll av a bacon, egg+mushroom doorstoper but in public it would be a 'ham salad' on brown bread-lol-hypothetically speaking!
Posted By: bri445 Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 10th Oct 2009 12:08am

Butty = singular
Butties = plural

Pasty, pasties; curry, curries... I'm off to the kitchen! .. coffee
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 10th Oct 2009 12:27am
Originally Posted by bri445

Butty = singular
Butties = plural

Pasty, pasties; curry, curries... I'm off to the kitchen! .. coffee
ive been a greedy cow tonite. Cheese+ red onion butty (with the ova half shouting thru 'dont be cutting mine into fookin triangles' hence this post). Then i had a cornetto. It was very nice so i had anuva one.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 10th Oct 2009 4:29pm
I call them buttie. I also have square, the missus has triangles. It's too difficult and 'fussy' to eat.
Posted By: Stegga Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 10th Oct 2009 8:55pm
Do you think this comes down to a class/gender thing?

A gender thing...
Square cut = Male
Triangle cut = Female

A class thing...
Butties = Working class
Sarnies = Upper class

Jam butties = Working class
Salmon and cucumber sandwiches = Upper class

Chip butties = Footie fans
Prawn sarnies = Corporate hospitality

Bacon & egg butty = Builders
Parma ham & goats cheese sandwich = Company Chief Exec

smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 10th Oct 2009 9:21pm
I deffo agree with you there! I did a reply earlier on the same lines but got 'error' and so didnt go in. Cudnt be arsed re writing....
Deffo a 'divide' re butties/ sandwiches
Male/ female
North/ south
Posh/ pov
Theres a social experiment in here somewhere?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 10th Oct 2009 9:27pm
Lets elaborate-
Brown/ white/ wholemeal/ granuler

Marge/ butter

Batch/ bap/ bun

Salad/ no salad/ tomoto slice

So on and so forth...

Lol

It seems fellas favour square. Ladios- triangle altho this is not conclusive by any means!
Posted By: Stegga Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 10th Oct 2009 9:34pm
I was down south one time staying with friends, when i asked for a butty to go with my chips i was just met with blank faces. They'd never even heard the word "butty" before. Worse still, they'd never even had chip butties!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 10th Oct 2009 9:37pm
Noooo! They not lived. Esp chippy chips. Yumyum
Posted By: Stegga Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 10th Oct 2009 9:55pm
Can't eat a portion of chippy chips without a butty, it's just not right. In fact there should be some kind of law forbiding the eating of chippy chips without a butty smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 10th Oct 2009 10:05pm
I agree. Gotta be rathbones though... I would prefer to pre-prepare to butter me own bread b4 the chippy run.
Im not payin 30p for a half-arsed 'hacked to death' batch 'buttered' with a 3kg tub sized bit of the shittest, cheapest, nastiest bit of marge... Grim, indeed.
Clover-i like it x
Posted By: kezzbag Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 10th Oct 2009 10:26pm
omg, am hungry now lol. I call it a butty and prefer triangles, other half prefers squares. I think it`s so we `ladies` can take a nibble out of the butty on a corner without looking like a pig. Guys just tuck in any old how. When alone tho I prefer a nice crusty baguette filled with egg mayo salad and it goes everywhere. Chip butties rule! Proper butter, hot chips and the juice running out the end so (if you`re not in company) you can lick it off your hand/wrist. lmao. Too much info!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 10th Oct 2009 10:30pm
Now....toast!
Love toast 'ate in its entirety'. Halve squares or triangles-nah, the full piece of bread.
Rathbones dusnt fit in the toaster tho-always have that half inch of 'warm bread' at the top.
I like hot+ cold toast, slightly burnt wiv decent 'spread' ie clover
In an ideal world it wud be real butter but i dont wanna be a lard-arsee.. Plus i get heartburn so i reign meself in....most of the time.
Posted By: Stegga Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 10th Oct 2009 10:33pm
Hey Rude, i'm guessin you don't buy buttered batch from the chippy, not sure how i'm workin that one out smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 10th Oct 2009 10:33pm
Omg! Butter on the wrist- STOP!! NOW!! Lol
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 10th Oct 2009 10:39pm
O...k.... Garlic breads gone in... 'cut them out' of bag....smeared them in 'soft cheese', back in the bag and good to go in 17 minutes.... B-)
Posted By: kezzbag Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 10th Oct 2009 10:41pm
Need to raid freezer and find a stray garlic bread. Thanks rude lol.
Posted By: bri445 Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 10th Oct 2009 11:05pm
Do you think this comes down to a class/gender thing?

A gender thing...
Square cut = Male
Triangle cut = Female

A class thing...
Butties = Working class
Sarnies = Upper class

Jam butties = Working class
Salmon and cucumber sandwiches = Upper class

Chip butties = Footie fans
Prawn sarnies = Corporate hospitality

Bacon & egg butty = Builders
Parma ham & goats cheese sandwich = Company Chief Exec

smile

That proves I'm defo male and working class, though not a builder!
coffee
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 10th Oct 2009 11:18pm
Höld the soft cheese- one idea best left in the brain-not the bread!!
Ruined a garlic bread- the dogs liked it tho!
Posted By: kimpri Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 10th Oct 2009 11:28pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
nooooo! Lol.
At home i'll av a bacon, egg+mushroom doorstoper but in public it would be a 'ham salad' on brown bread-lol-hypothetically speaking!
my snack is treble Decker with the lot on it cheese/meat/tuna all salad /salad cream/pack crisps/ mustard/ its like putting two sandwich together less one slice of bread. I have 2 of them?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 10th Oct 2009 11:58pm
Why arent you 'large'? its not fair!!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 11th Oct 2009 12:07am
'egg n cress' theres a funny one. Wudnt buy a egg butty wiv no cress. However, have no qualms about doing me own egg butty-not arsed no cress?!
And it would be square.
With cress-triangle!
Deffo a class thing this butty/sandwich thing
And as for your 'snack' joe-no idea!! Lol.
Posted By: kezzbag Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 11th Oct 2009 12:23am
lmao. Went into bhs in l`pool last week and spent £3 on an egg butty (with cress and mayo) AND! the crusts where cut off! WTF!? for £3 I want the blooming crusts!
Posted By: kimpri Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 11th Oct 2009 12:45am
I never stop yumyum dont put oz on in weight?
my sunday dinner. yumyum

Attached picture P9200008.JPG
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 11th Oct 2009 12:47am
Originally Posted by kezzbag
lmao. Went into bhs in l`pool last week and spent £3 on an egg butty (with cress and mayo) AND! the crusts where cut off! WTF!? for £3 I want the blooming crusts!

£3!! No crusts!! You must have been hungry, girl!! Lol
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 11th Oct 2009 1:02am
Originally Posted by kimpri1
my sunday dinner. yumyum
OMG!! Massive dinner! With pudna! And a can, to boot. Lol
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 11th Oct 2009 1:10am
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
my sunday dinner. yumyum
OMG!! Massive dinner! With pudna! And a can, to boot. Lol
just spotted the bread!! Lol. Plus1 has bread wiv everything as well- well done mrs k.p, looks a nice dinner-last me for a week [am assuming mrs kp did it-or ya mum]!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 11th Oct 2009 1:13am
I've just had a lovely kebab....give us a kiss Rudey!! hahaha
I was down south one time staying with friends, when i asked for a butty to go with my chips i was just met with blank faces. They'd never even heard the word "butty" before. Worse still, they'd never even had chip butties!

I think they were pulling your plonker - everyone knows what a chip butty is. raftl
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 11th Oct 2009 3:48pm
...southern blerts. They know nuffin....!!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 9:17am
Butty it is, also those who call it a wedge up know what they are on about. Doorstep is another good 'un, all good northern expressions. The good thing is that you can wedge anything up, mashed spuds, cabbage, beans, anything. I still can't resist wiping my roll around a good bit of gravy when I go to big do's, saves the staff washing the plate. I get some funny looks sometimes but I think they're jealous 'cos they haven't the bottle.

oldman
Posted By: kimpri Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 10:14am
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
Butty it is, also those who call it a wedge up know what they are on about. Doorstep is another good 'un, all good northern expressions. The good thing is that you can wedge anything up, mashed spuds, cabbage, beans, anything. I still can't resist wiping my roll around a good bit of gravy when I go to big do's, saves the staff washing the plate. I get some funny looks sometimes but I think they're jealous 'cos they haven't the bottle.

oldman
eat my food with a spoon or fingers were ever i go, never use knife/fork.the missus calls me a pig. why is that ,because you are.you do it i said wen is that smarty pants?
every time were out, we get fish/chips use your fingers to eat
no argument!goes somad at me for licking gravy off plate thou. grin
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 10:16am
Butties FTW grin

Triangles look good, but they require 2 hands to stop the filling falling out. I just cut them in 1/2 grin
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 10:19am
Depends where I am, what I call it. In the presence of fellow northerners its a butty. In the presence of shandy-drinkin' southerners, its a sandwich raftl

Don't mind triangle or rectangle, so long as both slices of bread have been buttered (even if its a bacon sandwich grin Bring on the lard smile ).
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 10:34am
[quote=BandyCoot]Butty it is, also those who call it a wedge up know what they are on about. Doorstep is another good 'un, all good northern expressions. The good thing is that you can wedge anything up, mashed spuds, cabbage, beans, anything. I still can't resist wiping my roll around a good bit of gravy when I go to big do's, saves the staff washing the plate. I get some funny looks sometimes but I think they're jealous 'cos they haven't the bottle.

oldman
eat my food with a spoon or fingers were ever i go, never use knife/fork.the missus calls me a pig. why is that ,because you are.you do it i said wen is that smarty pants?

Can't eat a kipper or grilled fish at a BBQ with a knife and fork, it's more fun with the fingers anyway, it improves the taste 2000 per cent.

popcorn
Posted By: bert1 Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 10:35am
The corners should be buttered also. in Scotland they call it a piece, Example, a piece and cheese.
Posted By: Stegga Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 10:48am
Talking of butties, how come a piece of bread is called a "round"? I was always asked how many rounds of bread i wanted with my tea
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 11:01am
Talking of butties, how come a piece of bread is called a "round"? I was always asked how many rounds of bread i wanted with my tea

My guess is because bread hasn't always been square, I think square bread only came out when ham or corned dog came in square tins. If I'm wrong someone will tell me.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 11:05am
Don't know about the corned dog bit, a guess would be it was first baked round shaped.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 11:06am
Originally Posted by bert1
The corners should be buttered also. in Scotland they call it a piece, Example, a piece and cheese.
So 'packing a piece' in Scotland is just another way of saying you are carrying a sandwich? think
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 11:09am
Don't know about the corned dog bit, a guess would be it was first baked round shaped.

Didn't expect you to bite bert.

laffin
Posted By: Stegga Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 11:11am
Originally Posted by Snooze
So 'packing a piece' in Scotland is just another way of saying you are carrying a sandwich? think

Brings a whole new meaning to "Club Sandwich" smile
Posted By: bert1 Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 11:14am

Is that a baguette in your pocket or are you happy to see me.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 11:25am
Its a bloomer raftl
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 11:33am
Alright, there's no need to get a cob on.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 11:34am
Your a silly old bap raftl
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 11:51am
Don't get crusty with me bert
Posted By: bert1 Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 11:54am
Don't get crusty with me bert

It wasn't aimed at you Bandy, you got in the way, blue on blue I'm afraid sir. Wasn't using my loaf.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 12:06pm
Just had some blue with crackers bert and apart from that a blue on blue on this site is a better craique, I wasn't trying to toast you.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 12:09pm
Thanks Bandy, i know you wouldn't wish me Brown Bread.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 12:12pm
I know bert, let's start again, all bran new
Posted By: bert1 Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 12:13pm
loosely speaking
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 12:25pm
I thought it was getting crumby but it's picking up a little again.
Posted By: Stegga Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 12:28pm
I'll toast to that!
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 12:31pm
loosely speaking
Verbal diarrhoea?
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 12:34pm
Have you got a dictionary there snooze?
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 12:39pm
Yes raftl Would you like to borrow it? Here you go: http://dictionary.reference.com/
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 12:43pm
So kind, tis just that there are some words I can't spell off the top of my head and that die diu dier shits, is one of 'em
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 12:44pm
I got as far as diarrh but couldn't remember the order of the last letters.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 12:45pm
I got as far as diarrh but couldn't remember the order of the last letters.

Its shit when that happens.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 12:48pm
I got as far as that too but had to dash off.......
Posted By: bert1 Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 12:51pm
Two pieces of bread with edible filling ?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 1:13pm
Did you know that diarrhea is inheritary?

It runs in your....jeans (genes)

Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 1:14pm
I know my dad used to give me the shits sometimes.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 1:26pm

oldman
every time were out, we get fish/chips use your fingers to eat
no argument!goes somad at me for licking gravy off plate thou. grin
i was wondering why there was a spoon, not a knife+ fork with the pic of your dinner? Lol
It was only a couple of years ago that I found out why a fried egg sarnie was called an egg banjo...............

It's cos when you bite into it and the yolk runs down your shirt - the wiping away motion looks like you're playing the banjo
raftl raftl
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 7:04pm
Never heard of that one! True tho lol
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Two pieces of bread with edible filling - 12th Oct 2009 7:28pm
i prefer a nice big stuffed "nudger" myself...bacon,black pudding ,two eggs ,sausage and ulster fry,bit of fried onion and lashings of mustard.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral