Forums
Posted By: joe79 Stolen Bag Wetherspoons New Brighton - 6th May 2014 9:28am
Hi all,

I know its a long shot but my Mother had her bag stolen from Wetherspoons on the prom in New Brighton yesterday about 6pm.
The bag contained a purse with cards and £80 cash along with a mobile phone and other bits and pieces including car and house keys. After tracking the mobile phone I found it dumped in a bin an Rowson Street, all the cards have been cancelled and nothing has gone from them, thankfully. My concern is the keys. It was a small black bag with a silver clasp. If anybody hears anything or in the case of the bag being dumped any info would be appreciated.
The police have the girl on CCTV taking the bag and have a clear picture of her face so with any luck she will be caught.

Thank You!

Posted By: missmahjong Re: Stolen Bag Wetherspoons New Brighton - 6th May 2014 9:32am
Hope she gets caught...
Posted By: Heswall1958 Re: Stolen Bag Wetherspoons New Brighton - 6th May 2014 9:44am
Lowest of the low - ........
Posted By: Nighteyes Re: Stolen Bag Wetherspoons New Brighton - 6th May 2014 10:15am
get the picture and shame her
Posted By: chriskay Re: Stolen Bag Wetherspoons New Brighton - 6th May 2014 10:23am
It's for things like this that we need to reintroduce the stocks.
If they catch her, she'll just get a slap on the wrist.
Posted By: joe79 Re: Stolen Bag Wetherspoons New Brighton - 6th May 2014 10:40am
I would love to!
Unfortunately, we were not allowed to see the footage ourselves, only the police were allowed.
By the way, I would just like to say how helpful and understanding both the staff at Wetherspoons and the police were.
Highly commendable.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Stolen Bag Wetherspoons New Brighton - 6th May 2014 11:11am
Originally Posted by chriskay
It's for things like this that we need to reintroduce the stocks.
If they catch her, she'll just get a slap on the wrist.

I would like to see the ancient law of drawn, hung and quartered reintroduced, see how many people commit crimes then eh?
Posted By: TheDr Re: Stolen Bag Wetherspoons New Brighton - 6th May 2014 11:13am
Wetherspoons are in the wrong to deny you footage.

This is an extract from CCTV.co.uk which explains most of it.

If you click on the link there is a template to request the footage, however, be aware, publishing the photo (when you have requested the CCTV from them) could be considered a breach of the data protection act by you, and could hinder any prosecution if you ask for help finding the "thief".

How to request CCTV footage in the UK

CCTV Systems in the UK are covered by the Data Protection Act 1998 – and because they are, you can request footage of you from the organisation that operates the CCTV equipment.

For example if your bag was stolen in a pub – you can ask the landlord to make available to you footage of the theft.

There are certain elements to be aware of mind you…

You have to request in writing to the owner of the CCTV system (these can often be found on signs close to the CCTV System)
You will have to provide them with information about the times you wish to view, these must obviously correlate to the times you were filmed. You might want to consider adding in the letter a description of yourself and your clothing.
The organisation must issue you with a copy of the CCTV footage within 40 calendar days.
They may charge you a fee of £10 for this.
Consider including a photo of yourself to help the CCTV operator identify yourself more easily.
Posted By: joe79 Re: Stolen Bag Wetherspoons New Brighton - 6th May 2014 11:27am
Originally Posted by TheDr
Wetherspoons are in the wrong to deny you footage.

This is an extract from CCTV.co.uk which explains most of it.

If you click on the link there is a template to request the footage, however, be aware, publishing the photo (when you have requested the CCTV from them) could be considered a breach of the data protection act by you, and could hinder any prosecution if you ask for help finding the "thief".

How to request CCTV footage in the UK

CCTV Systems in the UK are covered by the Data Protection Act 1998 – and because they are, you can request footage of you from the organisation that operates the CCTV equipment.

For example if your bag was stolen in a pub – you can ask the landlord to make available to you footage of the theft.

There are certain elements to be aware of mind you…

You have to request in writing to the owner of the CCTV system (these can often be found on signs close to the CCTV System)
You will have to provide them with information about the times you wish to view, these must obviously correlate to the times you were filmed. You might want to consider adding in the letter a description of yourself and your clothing.
The organisation must issue you with a copy of the CCTV footage within 40 calendar days.
They may charge you a fee of £10 for this.
Consider including a photo of yourself to help the CCTV operator identify yourself more easily.

Thats very interesting. Thankyou.
Posted By: Helles Re: Stolen Bag Wetherspoons New Brighton - 6th May 2014 12:00pm
Quite probably it was the police who denied access rather than Wetherspoons. Don't want to prejudice any future court case or have someone take the law into their own hands. Usually if they can't identify someone after a few weeks they tend to make it public through local media and then you can play Sherlock Holmes.

Do hope they catch the thieving bitch though!
Posted By: rossie Re: Stolen Bag Wetherspoons New Brighton - 6th May 2014 1:23pm
I think you will find that you can only request footage of YOURSELF rather than a third party.When you get the picture back you will be the only person not blocked out.
Wetherspoons maybe correct in saying that they are not authorised to show you the pictures.
This used to be the law unless things have changed recently.
Posted By: venice Re: Stolen Bag Wetherspoons New Brighton - 6th May 2014 1:57pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_

I would like to see the ancient law of drawn, hung and quartered reintroduced, see how many people commit crimes then eh?

Dont hold back Ste !!
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Stolen Bag Wetherspoons New Brighton - 6th May 2014 4:43pm
Hope there was nothing in the bag to identify the house address or car...
Posted By: joe79 Re: Stolen Bag Wetherspoons New Brighton - 6th May 2014 5:01pm
No, as far as we know there wasn't. but just to be safe the locks have been changed on the house and the car has been re chipped.
cant be too careful. these idiots don't think of the chaos it causes do they!
Posted By: torryman Re: Stolen Bag Wetherspoons New Brighton - 6th May 2014 5:07pm
BITCH!!!
Posted By: Nighteyes Re: Stolen Bag Wetherspoons New Brighton - 6th May 2014 6:29pm
keep us updated
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Stolen Bag Wetherspoons New Brighton - 6th May 2014 6:47pm
Originally Posted by joe79
No, as far as we know there wasn't. but just to be safe the locks have been changed on the house and the car has been re chipped.
cant be too careful. these idiots don't think of the chaos it causes do they!

Costing a small fortune too i bet, it's not cheap replacing chipped keys alone. A total inconvience and more money lost.

Sorry to hear this and i hope you catch the people responsible.

I should imagine there was more than one person involved.
Posted By: kenmo52 Re: Stolen Bag Wetherspoons New Brighton - 9th May 2014 9:01pm
Agree 110% with Ste on this, I would bring this back right now if I could.
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: Stolen Bag Wetherspoons New Brighton - 19th May 2014 9:10pm
What I find crazy is this....
You have CCTV of a girl stealing a bag, publish the video and someone will say 'I know her' then send her for sentencing... Easy.

In reality she would get a slap on the wrist then issue a civil suit against the person who made the video public, she would win and probably get a few grand out of it...

What world do we live in? How is this world better than one where a thief gets his hand cut off? Strict rules harsher punishments, less bullshit. That's whats will fix Britain, nothing more. It's easy!
Posted By: JaseB Re: Stolen Bag Wetherspoons New Brighton - 20th May 2014 9:09am
Originally Posted by TheComputerLab
What I find crazy is this....
You have CCTV of a girl stealing a bag, publish the video and someone will say 'I know her' then send her for sentencing... Easy.

In reality she would get a slap on the wrist then issue a civil suit against the person who made the video public, she would win and probably get a few grand out of it...

What world do we live in? How is this world better than one where a thief gets his hand cut off? Strict rules harsher punishments, less bullshit. That's whats will fix Britain, nothing more. It's easy!

Closed courts, Charlie Bronson style. Community get together, more people to "stand up".

No need to turn into a middle eastern country and start cutting useful limbs off!

I am all for "out of court" justice, community backed, and completely anonymous wink

"If you have a problem, and no on else can help" advert going in this weeks paper smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral