Forums
Posted By: Toaster King Street Garage Robbed ? - 18th Sep 2011 6:48pm
Just walked past the Spar on King street and there's lots of police cars and ambulances outside, soz no pic's i didnt have me phone on me!?
Posted By: AlexB Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 18th Sep 2011 6:49pm
They are probably used to it.
Posted By: Pepper_Head Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 18th Sep 2011 6:52pm
Why is that Buddy?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 18th Sep 2011 8:16pm
Originally Posted by Pepper_Head
Why is that Buddy?

It's a bad area for it mate.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 18th Sep 2011 8:23pm
King Street and Brighton Street are really depressing places these days. Most of the shops are boarded up and lots of smackhead/scallies hanging around. Apparently the Council have designated it as a shopping area to regenerate. Personally think it's too far gone to regenerate.
Posted By: nickie Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 18th Sep 2011 8:48pm
Originally Posted by Touchstone
King Street and Brighton Street are really depressing places these days. Most of the shops are boarded up and lots of smackhead/scallies hanging around. Apparently the Council have designated it as a shopping area to regenerate. Personally think it's too far gone to regenerate.

They have been talking about regeneration in that area for years but still nothing, tbh most of Seacombe, Birkenhead and Wallasey needs it
Posted By: Touchstone Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 18th Sep 2011 9:12pm
I can't see real regeneration happening without jobs. And by that I mean proper jobs. Well paid, skilled, permanent etc. And apprenterships too for the teenagers and young adults. A lot more employment and less inequality leads to real regeneration of areas.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 19th Sep 2011 7:16am
you cant polish a turd !
Posted By: AlexB Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 19th Sep 2011 7:54am

It is, very depressing. To the extent that if I need to get anywhere that involves driving down Kind Street I will usually find another route, even if it's longer.

The problem with regeneration is that even when that happens, there is nobody to utilise it. What's the point of nice shops etc when people don't have the money to spend in them?

I think one of the only places that makes any money down there is Bargain Booze!

Posted By: Anonymous Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 19th Sep 2011 8:52am
...... or the Bookies !
Posted By: AlexB Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 19th Sep 2011 8:53am
Yeah, and that!
Posted By: Handbag Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 19th Sep 2011 9:49am
Originally Posted by jabber
you cant polish a turd !

It may not be the most picturesque place in Wirral but there are some very decent people live around here. Some of us do try and improve the area, the neighbours in my street (just off King Street)come out and tidy the green space they pick up all the litter there and plant up the area with plants they pay for out of their own pockets. I am also a member of Traflea Community Garden which has a community allotment on the corner of Trafalgar and Lea Road which has just won an award from Riverside Housing for regeneration and has also been nominated for an award for 'Northwest in Bloom' which is run by the Royal Horticultural Society. we wont know if we've won till October but then but a nomination from a respected body like that speaks volumes about the commitment that local people have to improving the area. Before the Traflea group took on that piece of land it was a a run down site where a house had been pulled down that was used as a rubbish tip with bags of rubbish car tyres and old fridges dumped on it, now we have a beautiful garden full of flowers and vegetables, a definate improvement.
My neighbours and I have run a small neighbourhood group in the area for many years to try and solve some of the issues like antisocial behaviour etc a lot of us really do care about the area and will continue to try and improve it... I dont consider it to be 'polishing a turd' as you call it, the vast majority of the people here have strong ties to the area and do their best to try and make it a better place to live.
The problem the area has is that it has been blighted by the amount of Private Landlords that just really dont care who they let the houses to. We are all responsible for the area that we live in and as time goes by more people are becoming interested in doing more for their community.
We are still waiting to hear what the 1.3 Million pound funding that has been granted by the council will be spent on, we were told that King Street and Trafalgar Road where to be given a 'facelift'
Posted By: AlexB Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 19th Sep 2011 10:02am
It's great to hear of people like yourself doing these sorts of things, but it's just a shame that there are at least the same amount of people committed to causing trouble and ruining it.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 19th Sep 2011 10:20am
Well done Handbag. You and your neighbours efforts are to be commended. It would be nice to see more community gardens and allotments set up around Wirral and the UK.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 19th Sep 2011 10:56am
Indeed, well done Handbag. Hopefully you are finding there's a sort of tipping point (no pun intended). To start with, other folk think you are wasting your time and money and don't help. Then there comes a certain point when they think " hey - this is looking good". Then it starts to gather momentum.

You've obviously got the ball rolling - and some! Keep it up, you'll get there !!
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 19th Sep 2011 11:24am
i lived on king street and trafalgar road for many years, in that time i was physically attacked on more than one occasion. I was verbally abused nearly everyday often by kids no older than 10, many times by little teenage scrotes who deserve no more than a damn good kicking. I had excrement thrown at my windows , windows smashed, my door violently kicked night after night and no end of other abuse !

the reason ?

for looking a bit different and having locks mad !

Sorry not a place id ever move back too, you can do what you like with the area, buildings and public areas but you cant remove the ... that destroy eveything people work towards.
Shame most of the upcoming generation have no interest in living and looking after the area they live in

On a lighter note,I love what you have done with the land in traflea. Urban gardening in the community is a great way to pull together and bond as a community. I wish you all the luck going forwards with it.
Posted By: Handbag Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 19th Sep 2011 11:28am
Thankyou for the positive comments.

You're absolutely right there is a point when things start to look good and improve the area, you really wouldnt believe how many people now come to us and ask us to make up their hanging baskets for the spring and summer, we also try and open a stall every Tuesday to try and sell tomato plants, flowers etc to people passing by, so we're also now self funding smile

You'd be amazed at how little vandalism there has been and a lot of the good comments that we get are from 'the chav brigade' who say 'thats a sound garden'.. We also try and hold events for our community there too, we did a free BBQ for the Royal Wedding. We also made sure that the local children get something back out of our garden and designed it in mind. We planted strawberry plants right round the edge of the garden and told the local children they could pick the ones that they can reach through the fence smile

I know that there are many problems in the area and I can sympathize completely, I have had all sorts of trouble at my door, one particularly lovely person offered to petrol bomb my house with my children in it... there are lots of problem families about, people have seen me ranting on this forum on many occasions about crime, antisocial behaviour etc etc. There are several reasons why I dont move.

1. I wont let them force me or my family out.
2. I have the best neighbours
3. I love where I live warts amd all.
4. there is a community here and I'm part of it.
5. when there is trouble in our neighbourhood every one of the neighbours comes out and makes a stand to support each other no matter what.
Posted By: lau2908 Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 19th Sep 2011 8:09pm
one of the guys there got attacked, these 2 lads were robbing loads of stuff and tried to get money out the till, guy that worked there tried to stop them an he got attacked, hurt his head a bit like, police came and caught one of them, ... bag dole-es no doubt
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 19th Sep 2011 8:24pm
Originally Posted by lau2908
one of the guys there got attacked, these 2 lads were robbing loads of stuff and tried to get money out the till, guy that worked there tried to stop them an he got attacked, hurt his head a bit like, police came and caught one of them, ... bag dole-es no doubt

Source??
Posted By: Littlebear Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 19th Sep 2011 11:07pm
Just had a look on Google streetview and every shop is either boarded up or is a fast food or small business type thing.
Was it 'Battyre'?

Well done though Handbag, you deserve an award.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 19th Sep 2011 11:12pm
Originally Posted by Handbag
5. when there is trouble in our neighbourhood every one of the neighbours comes out and makes a stand to support each other no matter what.
So important, most of the idiots are whimps and bottle it when they realise they aren't a gang against just one individual.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 19th Sep 2011 11:15pm
Originally Posted by Littlebear
Just had a look on Google streetview and every shop is either boarded up or is a fast food or small business type thing.
Was it 'Battyre'?

Well done though Handbag, you deserve an award.

No, battyre has been there for years, it's a car spares shop like motorworld.

The garage that got looted is a fairly new build so may not be on street view, it's over the road from rocket Ronnies snooker hall.
Posted By: AlexB Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 19th Sep 2011 11:18pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_

The garage that got looted is a fairly new build so may not be on street view, it's over the road from rocket Ronnies snooker hall.

Am I right in thinking it's not Rocket Ronnie's anymore?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 19th Sep 2011 11:23pm
Originally Posted by AlexB

Am I right in thinking it's not Rocket Ronnie's anymore?

Don't take much notice of that area tbh so you may be right.
Posted By: AlexB Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 19th Sep 2011 11:26pm

Pretty sure someone mentioned in passing that it'd been taken over. I may be wrong.

Just interested to know if it's closed or been taken over.
Posted By: Wiggi77 Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 19th Sep 2011 11:30pm

Pretty sure someone mentioned in passing that it'd been taken over. I may be wrong.

Just interested to know if it's closed or been taken over.

Hasn't closed mate, was getting a new lick of paint last week when I drove past
Not sure if it's still Rocket Ronnies though
Posted By: Wench Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 19th Sep 2011 11:32pm
It's not Rocket Ronnies any more. I went past it today and it was all white and pastel colours frown Can't remember what the name was but I think it began with an O.
Posted By: AlexB Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 19th Sep 2011 11:33pm
Ah OK, it may be that it's under new ownership or something.

If you don't mind, could you give me the heads up when you know?

Cheers
Posted By: Handbag Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 19th Sep 2011 11:39pm
I think Rocket Ronnies has changed hands I think its called 'hot shots' now.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 19th Sep 2011 11:42pm
Its reverted back to its former name of "Wallasey Snooker Centre" for all league fixtures.
Posted By: Wiggi77 Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 19th Sep 2011 11:43pm
Originally Posted by Wench
It's not Rocket Ronnies any more. I went past it today and it was all white and pastel colours frown Can't remember what the name was but I think it began with an O.

ocket onnies? Someone probably robbed the "r"s
Posted By: Handbag Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 19th Sep 2011 11:45pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
So important, most of the idiots are whimps and bottle it when they realise they aren't a gang against just one individual.

A few years ago on Bonfire night we had a load of yobs set a wrecked car on fire in the street and then try and block the road off with wheelie bins to stop the fire brigade putting it out.. there were quite a few of us out there trying to stop it. What really made me laugh was one of my neighbours who is a really sweet little old lady who wouldnt normally harm a fly walked right up to the ringleader (who will remain nameless) of these yobs and slapped him really hard across the face... which made the other yobs with him laugh too... needless to say he walked away acutely embarrassed and we had no more trouble from them smile
Posted By: Wench Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 19th Sep 2011 11:53pm
Originally Posted by Wiggi77

No raftl Loon wink
Posted By: Pepper_Head Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 20th Sep 2011 12:04am
Originally Posted by Wiggi77

Pmsl, I'm crying here, you are so funny Wiggi77
bowdown
Posted By: lau2908 Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 20th Sep 2011 12:25am
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner
Originally Posted by lau2908

Source??

I know the guys in there and just spoke to the one that got attacked
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 20th Sep 2011 5:26am
Handbag I know exactly where the trouble comes from in that area.

Burn the *******'s away I say but arson carries a minimum 5 year stretch now and it wouldnt be fair on the good neighbours.

Get a petition going to get rid of the ... and thier horrid little stone throwing at and scratching everyone's car inbred BRATS.

That was once an alright area until the inbreds took over, they need evicting.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 20th Sep 2011 10:38am

Burn the *******'s away I say but arson carries a minimum 5 year stretch now and it wouldnt be fair on the good neighbours.

Get a petition going to get rid of the ... and thier horrid little stone throwing at and scratching everyone's car inbred BRATS.

Problem is Ste, if you evict them where do they get sent? Please not to New Brighton. How about sending them instead to Heswall or Caldy? That would set the cat amongst the pigeons for the blue-rinse brigade.
Posted By: AlexB Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 20th Sep 2011 10:54am
How about sending them instead to Heswall or Caldy? That would set the cat amongst the pigeons for the blue-rinse brigade.

What have they done to deserve it?

Also, council/... couldn't afford it.
Posted By: Littlebear Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 20th Sep 2011 10:54am
You have to start somewhere, I think Ste's right. I was in Birkenhead today and they're everywhere.
If you evict them it might at least influence them to behave a little bit more civilised when they realise it's going to be harder for them to get housing.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 20th Sep 2011 11:04am
How about sending them instead to Heswall or Caldy? That would set the cat amongst the pigeons for the blue-rinse brigade.

What have they done to deserve it?

Also, council/... couldn't afford it.

I don't think even working/middle classes could afford it these days what with wages and house prices the levels they are.
Posted By: Littlebear Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 20th Sep 2011 12:10pm
They're not going to get evicted, it was just a theory.
Posted By: Handbag Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 20th Sep 2011 2:55pm

The problem is that the law is stacked in the Private Landlords favour, it takes months and months to get ASB orders and tbh it needs a lot of people to co-operate to get that done, it's not the people in my road that are the problem its a couple of roads off mine and I cant see who it is that is always causing the trouble, if I did I could and WOULD do something about it. The Police are more or less powerless although I sing the praises of our Community Support Officers who work in the area who do try to do what they can for the area.

I get sick to death of some of the bad families in the area, the problem is that all the good people in the area are too, they move out and more and more trailer trash moves in frown

I tell you... Jeremy Kyle would be able to do a years worth of programming in just one of the local streets near me!!
Posted By: Lord_of_the_M53 Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 20th Sep 2011 3:06pm
I was working round there last week Handbag and see what you mean some really nice people around there, only takes a few to destroy it.
i liked the community garden on trafalgar road.
Posted By: Handbag Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 20th Sep 2011 3:12pm
Thankyou smile

The Council are pulling down some houses in Trafalgar Road, I wouldnt mind getting my hands on the land if theyre not doing anything with it to get another one up and running smile

Posted By: Lord_of_the_M53 Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 20th Sep 2011 3:18pm
i used to live in Ivor Road years ago grew up around there. there are worse places on the wirral believe me.
did you get much help setting it up?
Posted By: Handbag Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 20th Sep 2011 3:24pm
Quite a bit to begin with.

It was a group of us who took part in some part time gardening courses at Wirral Environmental Network (Sandon Buildings, Falkland Road)
Our tutor helped us apply for the land (which the council lets us use free of charge so long as its kept well maintained), we had a small amount of funding from WEN and were helped by the Wirral wardens(now gone due to council cuts)we also applied for funding from Riverside Housing for the steel lockup and the polycarb greenhouse smile
theres a core group of about ten of us who keep it maintained and fundraise there supposed to be a lot more stuff like this happening in Wirral under the new 'incredible edbles' initiative but we havent heard much more about it... probably down to more Council cuts.
Posted By: Lord_of_the_M53 Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 20th Sep 2011 3:35pm
Quite a bit to begin with.

It was a group of us who took part in some part time gardening courses at Wirral Environmental Network (Sandon Buildings, Falkland Road)
Our tutor helped us apply for the land (which the council lets us use free of charge so long as its kept well maintained), we had a small amount of funding from WEN and were helped by the Wirral wardens(now gone due to council cuts)we also applied for funding from Riverside Housing for the steel lockup and the polycarb greenhouse smile
theres a core group of about ten of us who keep it maintained and fundraise there supposed to be a lot more stuff like this happening in Wirral under the new 'incredible edbles' initiative but we havent heard much more about it... probably down to more Council cuts.

they got that going up in hoylake any spare bit of land
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 21st Sep 2011 9:42pm
Make`s me laugh really ,That garage getting robbed,Iv`e been buying my petrol there for years, and i have been paying well over the odds for it, (in day light)June
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: King Street Garage Robbed ? - 21st Sep 2011 9:52pm
Originally Posted by gypsyjune
Make`s me laugh really ,That garage getting robbed,Iv`e been buying my petrol there for years, and i have been paying well over the odds for it, (in day light)June

Lol, yes they've been robbing everyone in broad daylight, now they've had a taste of their own medicine. laugh
© Wirral-Wikiwirral