Forums
Posted By: jessiikahh Something Going On iin Wallasey - 19th Aug 2011 2:58pm
Boyfriend just drove past the land on dock road just as you go onto the motorway by the round about..

loads of police, fire engines and the bomb squads there??

anybody know whats going on???
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Something Going On iin Wallasey - 19th Aug 2011 3:00pm
might only be an exercise, don't get excited yet
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Something Going On iin Wallasey - 19th Aug 2011 3:06pm
This entire area was blocked off overnight (as is a large chunk of the motorway). This certainly adds some credence towards the exercise idea.
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Something Going On iin Wallasey - 19th Aug 2011 3:08pm
Where abouts exactlly ? the bridges, duke street etc?
Posted By: jessiikahh Re: Something Going On iin Wallasey - 19th Aug 2011 3:14pm
end of dock road going towards northend on the field
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Something Going On iin Wallasey - 19th Aug 2011 4:25pm
Cheers Jess
Posted By: AR_One Re: Something Going On iin Wallasey - 19th Aug 2011 5:27pm
Might be the same thing but a ww2 bomb was found at total demolition this morning.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Something Going On iin Wallasey - 19th Aug 2011 6:42pm
Originally Posted by AR_One
Might be the same thing but a ww2 bomb was found at total demolition this morning.
Isn't that just process acceleration wink
Posted By: stumpyduck Re: Something Going On iin Wallasey - 19th Aug 2011 8:28pm
this was where the unexploded bomb was indeed blown up today at the bidston dock .

bomb disposal unit detonated a 15lb shrapnel shell in the corner near to the fishing pond .

this was found in a factory in cleveland street earlier today .it had been used as a doorstop.cleveland street was closed off for 4 hours today until bomb disposal arrived
Posted By: Spannerhead Re: Something Going On iin Wallasey - 19th Aug 2011 8:44pm
Used as a door stop, lmfao, that's class.
Posted By: Katryn Re: Something Going On iin Wallasey - 19th Aug 2011 10:41pm
Originally Posted by stumpyduck
this was where the unexploded bomb was indeed blown up today at the bidston dock .

bomb disposal unit detonated a 15lb shrapnel shell in the corner near to the fishing pond .

this was found in a factory in cleveland street earlier today .it had been used as a doorstop.cleveland street was closed off for 4 hours today until bomb disposal arrived

it had been used as a doorstop shocked
Posted By: Kieran1981 Re: Something Going On iin Wallasey - 20th Aug 2011 7:47am
Lol how has a bomb managed to be used as a doorstop and no one notice how dangerous it was?
Posted By: Spannerhead Re: Something Going On iin Wallasey - 20th Aug 2011 7:50am
Lol, you can imaging them sitting on the door step (bomb) having a ciggy.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Something Going On iin Wallasey - 20th Aug 2011 8:58am
So how far away are the bomb squad based?. I was stuck in traffic on the M56 at around half one yesterday by thelwall and a bomb disposal truck shot past on the hard shoulder. It must have been going to Wallesey.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Something Going On iin Wallasey - 20th Aug 2011 9:31am
I was at Totals yard when they turned up. Was told it was a firearms tipoff n raid. I WAS AT THAT DOOR!!!!!!
We do work for them and i was dropping invoice off, police car blocking one end of Myrtle st so i drove round the back and into the street from the other end. Then a police car blocked that end and me in. As i dropped the invoice into postbox (In the door!!!) a copper asked what i was doing, just told him then let me out of the road! BLOODY HELL!!! I have been in there soooo many times, was upstairs in the office on Wednesday!!!!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Something Going On iin Wallasey - 20th Aug 2011 10:27am
Originally Posted by hoseman
I was at Totals yard when they turned up. Was told it was a firearms tipoff n raid. I WAS AT THAT DOOR!!!!!!
We do work for them and i was dropping invoice off, police car blocking one end of Myrtle st so i drove round the back and into the street from the other end. Then a police car blocked that end and me in. As i dropped the invoice into postbox (In the door!!!) a copper asked what i was doing, just told him then let me out of the road! BLOODY HELL!!! I have been in there soooo many times, was upstairs in the office on Wednesday!!!!

Nothing to worry about son. Bombs don`t just detonate themselves, lol.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Something Going On iin Wallasey - 20th Aug 2011 5:40pm
AHA, thats where you can be sooo wrong mate!!
Internal corrosion, temperature, deteriation of the components, anything can make a bomb explode.
Even the use of Mercury switches, so a bomb would just sit there until moved, thinking it was a dud, until moved, causing the mercury to complete the circuit and detonate the bomb killing the bomb Disposal guys!!
I suspect it was a WW2 Butterfly bomb to be a shrapnel device, unless it was a shell which is completely different!
Butterfly bombs cannot be disarmed. They were dropped in containers in clusters, which broke open at a designated height scattering them all over. Upon descent, small wings would slow them down and they would detonate at a specific height from the ground, spreading shrapnel all over, damaging and killing. I have one of the wings, fully marked with manufacture numbers, date and fuze used!
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Something Going On iin Wallasey - 20th Aug 2011 6:08pm
ooo the drama!.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Something Going On iin Wallasey - 20th Aug 2011 6:35pm
If it was a Butterfly bomb, I think there were 3 variants. On leaving the aircraft they broke open (as Hoseman said) the spring loaded vanes opened. They spun round in the updraught unscrewing the arming device. One type went off on impact. Another was on a time delay, and the third type was made "live" after impact. These claimed a lot of civilian lives. Being "new" and strange looking, it was only natural - especially for kids on finding one in the street, to give them a poke or pick one up. BAD news!

Hoseman.. does it have "BRANO" stamped on the wing you have ?? They made most of them.

The old subject of stuff getting more or less sensitive with age rumbles on. Military explosive (filling)is usually very stable. It's the detonator and/or gaine that's the fun bit. Some dets were picric acid, some lead azide, and some mercury fulmanate (?)

Don't suppose Joe Public will be told what type of ordnance it actually was.

Fascinating subject !

Posted By: hoseman Re: Something Going On iin Wallasey - 21st Aug 2011 7:47am
Their correct designation is SD-2 Fragmentation Bomb.
weight 4lb 6oz (2Kg) They were carried in clusters in a fragable container that burst open in mid air. A small cluster for a Stuka or fighter could carry 96 `Eggs`, larger containers on bombers (Dornier 17`s, Heinkel 111`s or Junkers 88`s) could carry 360 `Eggs`!!
Havent got the `wing` to hand mate, its packed away in my collection. All i can remember is the manufacture date was 1941 and the fuze was a type 41, which apparently was a common one used.
Mine came from a collector in the late 70`s.
It was in the Daily Mirror that this collector had it sat on his mantle piece for years. He saw an episode of Danger UXB on telly and they featured the Butterfly bomb (The germans called them Devils Eggs!). They stated it could not be deactivated!!
He carried it to the bottom of his garden and called the Bomb Disposals out, who blew it in his garden!! They said it was still live and if he hadnt have moved it they would have `bagged it up` and blew it on his mantle piece!!!!
When i read it, i contacted the paper and got his name and address, wrote a letter (No e mail back then!!) and he sent me the wing which is all he could salvage! I think i was about 10 - 12 years old then!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Something Going On iin Wallasey - 21st Aug 2011 7:57am
Excellent info. Thanks. That was one lucky guy. If that had gone off on his mantlepiece, he would have had re-decorate the entire room!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Something Going On iin Wallasey - 21st Aug 2011 10:57am
Great info thanks happy
© Wirral-Wikiwirral