Forums
Posted By: The_Monk Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 9th Aug 2011 2:05pm
in the last few minutes i truck has got stuck under the bridge on green lane road in birkenhead.

Attached picture IMG_2053 (FILEminimizer).JPG
Attached picture IMG_2054 (FILEminimizer).JPG
Attached picture IMG_2055 (FILEminimizer).JPG
Attached picture IMG_2056 (FILEminimizer).JPG
Attached picture IMG_2057 (FILEminimizer).JPG
Posted By: The_Monk Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 9th Aug 2011 2:07pm
more pictures.

Attached picture IMG_2060 (FILEminimizer).JPG
Attached picture IMG_2061 (FILEminimizer).JPG
Attached picture IMG_2062 (FILEminimizer).JPG
Attached picture IMG_2063 (FILEminimizer).JPG
omg is the driver stupid but good pics smile
Posted By: The_Monk Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 9th Aug 2011 2:10pm
police arrived now.

Attached picture IMG_2064 (FILEminimizer).JPG
Attached picture IMG_2065 (FILEminimizer).JPG
Attached picture IMG_2066 (FILEminimizer).JPG
Attached picture IMG_2067 (FILEminimizer).JPG
Attached picture IMG_2068 (FILEminimizer).JPG
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 9th Aug 2011 2:12pm
That causes more issues than you think doesn't it, what with the bridge then having to be structurally checked before trains are allowed over!?

More chaos!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 9th Aug 2011 2:13pm
That reminds me of something I saw in America when I was over a few weeks ago. Sort of a signed gantry over the road just before a bridge saying "If you hit this sign, you will hit the bridge"

Problem solved.
Posted By: karenjon Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 9th Aug 2011 2:13pm
great pics love it bet he embarressed poor fella bet he dont know we all can see him ha
Posted By: The_Monk Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 9th Aug 2011 2:17pm
Originally Posted by Nobody
That causes more issues than you think doesn't it, what with the bridge then having to be structurally checked before trains are allowed over!?

More chaos!

the bridge isnt in use any more, but i think it should be checked coz it is getting hit all the time and no police attend so nobody will know about it i.e police, council,
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 9th Aug 2011 2:19pm
Haha, showed my colleague the pics and he said they should be emailed to his head office for maximum embarrassment!

Harsh, but funny.

Imagine that doing the rounds to the lads!
Haha, showed my colleague the pics and he said they should be emailed to his head office for maximum embarrassment!

Harsh, but funny.

Imagine that doing the rounds to the lads!

raftl
Now that would be funny
Posted By: Wench Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 9th Aug 2011 2:23pm
Is it wrong to be giggling over this think

raftl
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 9th Aug 2011 2:24pm
That reminds me of something I saw in America when I was over a few weeks ago. Sort of a signed gantry over the road just before a bridge saying "If you hit this sign, you will hit the bridge"

Problem solved.

We have better than that; down by the 4 bridges, on the roundabout before the bridge that leads to the lorry port, there is a laser detector. If a vehicle is too tall to fit under the bridge, the sign lights up and tells them to continue round the roundabout and find an alternative route.

:-)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 9th Aug 2011 2:26pm
just let the tyres down get from under there then pump them up again. how long will it take one of them to come up with this?
My dad and brother saw one of those lorries with the cars on the back go under a bridge and it knocked all the cars off the top onto the road behind it, d'oh! smack
Posted By: The_Monk Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 9th Aug 2011 2:39pm
Originally Posted by 8Bitguy
just let the tyres down get from under there then pump them up again. how long will it take one of them to come up with this?

thats a pretty good idea.

Attached picture IMG_2069 (FILEminimizer).JPG
Attached picture IMG_2070 (FILEminimizer).JPG
Posted By: The_Monk Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 9th Aug 2011 2:52pm
they are letting the tyres down now
Posted By: cathie Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 9th Aug 2011 3:06pm
Originally Posted by The_Monk

More chaos!

the bridge isnt in use any more, but i think it should be checked coz it is getting hit all the time and no police attend so nobody will know about it i.e police, council,

If it isn't in use anymore how do the trains get to Green Lane station?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 9th Aug 2011 3:14pm
Originally Posted by cathie

If it isn't in use anymore how do the trains get to Green Lane station?

The Merseyrail tracks are below road level here.
Posted By: Maisie Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 9th Aug 2011 3:38pm
Originally Posted by The_Monk
they are letting the tyres down now

LMAO!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 9th Aug 2011 4:44pm
The overbridge had tracks leading Mollington St. MPD (Long gone) and to the Docks Branch. The latter has been part lifted and Mother Nature is reclaiming the rest!

I think the only reason the bridge is still in situ is the "possible" re-opening of the Docks Branch. Could be wrong.

That bridge has seen a few DD buses seriously modified over the years! The height restriction signs don't apply some !!!!
Posted By: sean Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 9th Aug 2011 5:17pm
hahaha, what a knob
The bridge is only 13 feet high according to the sign.
He has however almost driven right through and caught the roof as he was coming out, the bridge itself is quite wide or deep and looks like it has four rail tracks two each way.

PB
Posted By: Helles Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 9th Aug 2011 6:14pm
Northern Ireland number plate. I know of a lad who was driving a coach up in Yorkshire when a container lorry did the same. The container came off and demolished him and the coach. Terrible accident and it could and should have been avoided.
I know of a Laird street garage staff fitter who took his road test bus under the Ellen's Lane bridge at Port Sunlight, he took off half the roof before the bus stopped and that bridge is only 10ft 6in high, the sign was still embedded in the roof of the bus when it returned to the depot.

He was sacked on the spot.

PB
Posted By: Smeghead Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 9th Aug 2011 7:57pm
Feel sorry for the bloke, but did make me chuckle.

Especially comment about letting air out the tyres... doh !
Posted By: chriskay Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 9th Aug 2011 8:26pm
Originally Posted by paintboffin
looks like it has four rail tracks two each way.
PB

The bridge carried 8 tracks.
Posted By: starakita Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 9th Aug 2011 8:35pm
we drove past that today
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 9th Aug 2011 9:08pm
[quote=Pinzgauer]The overbridge had tracks leading Mollington St. MPD (Long gone) and to the Docks Branch. The latter has been part lifted and Mother Nature is reclaiming the rest!

I think the only reason the bridge is still in situ is the "possible" re-opening of the Docks Branch. Could be wrong.

That bridge has seen a few DD buses seriously modified over the years! The height restriction signs don't apply some !!!! [/quote

The tracks on that bridge went into Helmingham Road goods yard, Mollington St. depot,docks branch,Woodside , the carriage sidings where the retail park now stands & to Cammell Lairds & Abbey St. sidings via the bridge over New Chester Road.
Question - where was the nearest steam loco shed to Mollington St. ?
Posted By: Bluesman Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 9th Aug 2011 9:19pm
I think letting the tyres down is standard first method to try to get the lorry through ( once the bridge has been checked for being structurally sound ) It happens often enough at that bridge. I feel sorry for the drivers because they get all the way through and then as the road rises just after the exit to the tunnel it raises the height of the truck and hey presto one embarrassed very stuck driver. I know one driver who was delivering to our place just up the road a few years ago and got stuck ended up getting fired which was kinda sad.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 9th Aug 2011 9:38pm
8HBob. Errrrr... Mollington Street. Your depot ? (8H). Forgotten the tracks went to Woodside as well. DOH !
the driver told the police "IM DELIVERING A BRIDGE "
Originally Posted by somerfield
the driver told the police "IM DELIVERING A BRIDGE "
and it got stuck between these two pillars raftl
Originally Posted by chriskay
Originally Posted by paintboffin
looks like it has four rail tracks two each way.
PB

The bridge carried 8 tracks.

8 tracks! that doesn't surprise me as is was the main shunting yard in Birkenhead.

PB
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 9th Aug 2011 10:08pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
8HBob. Errrrr... Mollington Street. Your depot ? (8H). Forgotten the tracks went to Woodside as well. DOH !

No - there was another steam shed extremely close. Two of its loco allocation still exist. Any wiser ?
Posted By: Andy13 Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 9th Aug 2011 10:49pm

More chaos!

trains don't run over the bridge.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 10th Aug 2011 9:13am
B'head Central ?? When it still had it's steam allocation ? Cecil Raikes survives somewhere (was at Steamport). Stumped with the other though !

OK Bob. Enlightenment required !
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 10th Aug 2011 10:23am
Lol!! raftl
Posted By: chriskay Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 10th Aug 2011 10:35am
Here's a map of the site in 1910. Lucky the Luftwaffe never hit that bridge; think of all the disruption that would have caused.

Attached picture green lane.jpg
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Green Lane - Lorry Stuck Under The Bridge - 10th Aug 2011 10:37am
Good lord! That is a lot of tracks!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral