Forums
Posted By: RUDEBOX Plain Packaging for Cigs. Ten Packs Gone. - 19th May 2016 3:32pm
Tobacco firms have lost their legal challenge over the lawfulness of the government's new plain packaging rules.

From tomorrow, cigarette packets will no longer be able to feature any logos or branding.

Brand names must be in small, non-distinctive lettering and any part of the packaging not covered by a health warning must be dark brown or green.

And picture health warnings must cover 65% of the front and back of every packet, with additional warnings on top.

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-05-19/tobacco-firms-lose-high-court-challenge-over-plain-packaging/
MESSAGE .... LOUD AND CLEAR, TO ME , BUT THEN I AM A NON SMOKER ..
So the people who buy a ten pack a day to regulate their smoking have now had their health scuppered.

If they want to discourage smoking, tax it out of existence.

Posted By: snowhite Re: Plain Packaging for Cigs. Ten Packs Gone. - 19th May 2016 5:07pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
So the people who buy a ten pack a day to regulate their smoking have now had their health scuppered.

How much is a packet of cigs these days?They must cost a fortune for a packet of 20.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Plain Packaging for Cigs. Ten Packs Gone. - 19th May 2016 5:27pm
Originally Posted by snowhite
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

How much is a packet of cigs these days?They must cost a fortune for a packet of 20.

i'm not a smoker but i'm fairly sure you only get a few pence change from a tenner.

about 10 years ago when i was 16 i used to go the shop for my mum for cigarettes, she gave me a fiver and said i could keep the change, naturally it went on sweets but even then it was sub £5 and in 10 years they've nearly doubled in price and i'm also aware that they do packs of 18 and 19 instead of 20 now!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Plain Packaging for Cigs. Ten Packs Gone. - 19th May 2016 5:39pm
In 1987 it was 68p for 10 and £1.33 for 20. I bought 10 'low end' ones the other day for £3.59

Posted By: fish5133 Re: Plain Packaging for Cigs. Ten Packs Gone. - 19th May 2016 5:42pm
Govt need the tax revenue.if tax rev from cigs drops then they will add it to other things.i suppose like alcohol if the price gets too high people just reduce the quantity.....which might be good for our health. Think of all themoney the council will lose with no ciggy butt fine revenue
What about shops stock....can they selloff the present packets
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Plain Packaging for Cigs. Ten Packs Gone. - 20th May 2016 12:52pm
From Yes Prime Minister in 1986, Plans to eliminate smoking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA9xxNqR_WE

Ban on tobacco sponsorship, advertising and at point of sale
Ban smoking in public places
tax rises to make a packet of 20 the same as a bottle of whisky

The audience laugh at some of the outrageous suggestions, but I think they're all in place now (we might have to choose Aldi whisky)
They need to legalize cannabis in my opinion .... Can't get any as it stands , but will continue to slowly kill myself / cause damage / cancer to my lungs / throat with tobacco at an extortionate price in rubbish packaging !! Got to love the powers that be !!
Posted By: venice Re: Plain Packaging for Cigs. Ten Packs Gone. - 21st May 2016 9:14am
I wish they would legalize cannabis too, for medical reasons. As an alternative to tobacco for yourself Gary, have you given vaping a go?
Originally Posted by venice
I wish they would legalize cannabis too, for medical reasons. As an alternative to tobacco for yourself Gary, have you given vaping a go?

Sativex is a cannabis extract and Nabilone is a synthetic version of THC, both are licensed in the UK.

If people want more widespread availability it is much more likely to happen if they push for the required chemicals to be authorised rather than trying to legalise cannabis.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Plain Packaging for Cigs. Ten Packs Gone. - 21st May 2016 1:06pm
Originally Posted by GaryFromWirral
They need to legalize cannabis in my opinion .... Can't get any as it stands , but will continue to slowly kill myself / cause damage / cancer to my lungs / throat with tobacco at an extortionate price in rubbish packaging !! Got to love the powers that be !!

No Gary they don't need to legalise cannabis! You need to deal with reality! Legalising one drug can only open the path to legalising them all. Anyway if they government did legalise it,it would be so heavily taxed like tobacco that you'd be sorry for what you wished for.
Deal with reality ... I do that everyday.
Like I said the government need to legalize it as cigarettes are deadly as cancer or c.o.p.d , alcohol turns people into unhealthy morons who think they are happy with their mundane existences , vaping isn't appealing to me as it's new and realistically untested in my opinion whereas cannabis has been around since the dawn of time and when used sparingly is a wonderful plant which would be a lovely thing for the ruling classes to do !!! But I'm sure they won't .. oh well back to reality hey !!!
Posted By: Dilly Re: Plain Packaging for Cigs. Ten Packs Gone. - 21st May 2016 2:28pm
So Gary are we to legalise coke and heroin or just the drug of your choice?
Nah
Cannabis also "turns people into unhealthy morons who think they are happy with their mundane existences".

People that use or have used cannabis regularly have a much higher chance of having mental health issues in later life. Some people with a certain genetic make-up are even more susceptible to this. This is separate to the psychosis that can happen any time after or during use.

Cannabis also impedes the ability to do things accurately for 24 hours or more after use. This is a serious hazard to other members of society.

I'd agree to it being legalised if there was no financial or physical risk to the wider society and I didn't have to meet up with spaced out users (which can be as bad as being cornered by a talkative drunk). Perhaps designated living regions would be an answer.

The big question is why use cannabis, like alcohol it is mostly used as a form of escapism using the laziest form possible - wouldn't it be better to do something with your life with variety than drop out and do the same thing time after time?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Plain Packaging for Cigs. Ten Packs Gone. - 21st May 2016 2:36pm
In a recent ITV This Morning poll 84% of people thought that people suffering with conditions like ;Crohns, ;Colitis and chronicpain should have access to medical cannabis; if their doctor prescribes it. People were outraged that access to #medicalcannabis is illegal in the UK – but legal in many European countries as well as 24 US states. The poll was encouraging, but what we urgently need are more signatures on our petition at www.endourpain.org. Today is worldibdday If you agree that sufferers should be able to use #medicalcannabis without fearing the knock at the door from the Police please sign the petition and – most importantly – share this post. Together we can end this injustice. Those who are suffering will really appreciate it, and you’ll be in good company too. We’re already supported by @joannalumley, Richard Branson, Russell Brand and a growing number of compassionate MPs – see them here http://www.endourpain.org/supporters/
It's nice in small doses.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Plain Packaging for Cigs. Ten Packs Gone. - 21st May 2016 2:57pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
In a recent ITV This Morning poll 84% of people thought that people suffering with conditions like ;Crohns, ;Colitis and chronicpain should have access to medical cannabis; if their doctor prescribes it. People were outraged that access to #medicalcannabis is illegal in the UK – but legal in many European countries as well as 24 US states. The poll was encouraging, but what we urgently need are more signatures on our petition at www.endourpain.org. Today is worldibdday If you agree that sufferers should be able to use #medicalcannabis without fearing the knock at the door from the Police please sign the petition and – most importantly – share this post. Together we can end this injustice. Those who are suffering will really appreciate it, and you’ll be in good company too. We’re already supported by @joannalumley, Richard Branson, Russell Brand and a growing number of compassionate MPs – see them here http://www.endourpain.org/supporters/

Difference here is Gary wants it legalised for his pleasure, not for pain relief. A lot of pleasure users will sign the petition for all the wrong reasons.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Plain Packaging for Cigs. Ten Packs Gone. - 21st May 2016 3:06pm
Still would only be available by prescription, though?
Posted By: Dilly Re: Plain Packaging for Cigs. Ten Packs Gone. - 21st May 2016 3:32pm
Oh and as for good company, Russell Brand? smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Plain Packaging for Cigs. Ten Packs Gone. - 21st May 2016 3:34pm
Originally Posted by Dilly
Oh and as for good company, Russell Brand? smile
laffin
© Wirral-Wikiwirral