Forums
Posted By: venice Welcome all you Ukrainians! - 20th Apr 2016 3:53pm
shocked

Did I really hear on RT today that the EU are proposing ALL Ukrainians be allowed into Shengen areas without any visa whatsoever?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Welcome all you Ukrainians! - 20th Apr 2016 4:16pm
This is a visitor program, similar to our visa-waiver agreements with numerous countries including the USA.

Its been progressing for a few years but got a bit delayed,they have agreements with many other countries including Hong Kong for instance.

Georgia and Kosovo are in the same batch as well.
Posted By: venice Re: Welcome all you Ukrainians! - 20th Apr 2016 4:49pm
Well, Ukraine is a more frightening proposition. East Ukrainians if dissatisfied may well look to Russia, but wont all the Western ones be over here and disappear like a shot?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Welcome all you Ukrainians! - 20th Apr 2016 5:20pm
Its a visitor waver for short term stays, it gives them no rights of residency nor permission to work. Most countries have loads of these visa-waiver agreements, they still need to travel on a passport and meet the requirements of the waiver.

The UK isn't inside the Schengen area so it won't affect us
Posted By: venice Re: Welcome all you Ukrainians! - 20th Apr 2016 6:20pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

The UK isn't inside the Schengen area so it won't affect us

If we vote STAY,it will-- we'll be shoehorned into Shengen like a shot I reckon and then I dont doubt that as soon as they dont require visas loads of Ukranians will leave their bankrupt shitty standard of living country and make their way to a European country with the least beaurocracy , in order to disappear into the black economy where they can earn probably 5 times as much as at home, a soft touch country who doesnt even know where all its National Insurance cards go ,because they get given out like dolly mixtures. Now where would be a good choice ?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Welcome all you Ukrainians! - 20th Apr 2016 8:07pm
Its short term stays, I believe it may be 90 days maximum the same as the old visitors visa.
Posted By: venice Re: Welcome all you Ukrainians! - 20th Apr 2016 8:35pm
Are you saying you dont think there will be any problem , and theyll all show up and trot off at the end of 90 days back to their horrible lives?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Welcome all you Ukrainians! - 20th Apr 2016 8:39pm
Yes, because they are not allowed to work and it is illegal to employ them. There will be a small amount breaking the rules but probably not significantly more than as present.

The visa used to be fairly cheap and readily available, the waiver isn't a great change.
Posted By: venice Re: Welcome all you Ukrainians! - 20th Apr 2016 9:49pm
Well theres at least 1 million internally displaced people in Ukraine , theres been more war activity in the last year or two, so I think this will be just the incentive they need to be on the move .
They dont need to be 'allowed' to work, in the black economy - they just 'do'. I dont reckon employers have ceased employing unintitled workers just because its illegal. Ah well, IN or OUT is the first big thing to worry about , and time will tell how that decision affects everything else.

Quote - International Business Times

"One of the major fears of the EU interior ministers meeting next week is that opening their borders to Ukrainians could result in a large number entering with no intention of going back. Statistics show that’s exactly what has happened with some countries enjoying visa-free travel to the Union."
Posted By: venice Re: Welcome all you Ukrainians! - 21st Apr 2016 10:57am
'Unentitled' even whistle
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Welcome all you Ukrainians! - 21st Apr 2016 11:50am
Don't forget that these are not fully fenced borders anyway. Its not too difficult for people to illegally wander between the relevant countries.

There are over 15 million regular crossings a year between the Ukraine and Poland, in the past this has been as high as 20 million before Poland joined the Schengen Area. Then there are other routes through Belarus, Moldavia etc.

I really can't see that the illegal traffic will significantly increase. What I can see a problem with will be the already significant drug trafficking routes increasing but as we have virtually no control over drugs at the moment it won't really impact much.
Posted By: venice Re: Welcome all you Ukrainians! - 21st Apr 2016 12:02pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
What I can see a problem with will be the already significant drug trafficking routes increasing but as we have virtually no control over drugs at the moment it won't really impact much.

Oh, well thats just another flipping thing to add to my list for the 'leave' side of things . Hadnt even thought of that, how depressing!
Really does seem to be Hobson's choice whatever we do.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Welcome all you Ukrainians! - 21st Apr 2016 5:16pm
The only reasons I have found to stay in are all negative reasons, there are many positive reasons to leave.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Welcome all you Ukrainians! - 21st Apr 2016 5:18pm
Another way of looking at it.

If we were not members now, having seen the way the EU is heading, how would you vote in a referendum to join?
Posted By: palemoon Re: Welcome all you Ukrainians! - 21st Apr 2016 5:40pm
Very well put, dd. happy
© Wirral-Wikiwirral