Forums
Posted By: Mark stamps are going up in price next month - 21st Feb 2016 10:19am
stamps are going up in price next month

Postage stamps are set to go up in price again from March 29.
Royal Mail said the price of a first class stamp will increase to 64p and second class will go up to 55p.
That means they are both going up by a penny each, along with large letter stamps which will also increase by 1p.

Read more: Click Me

Posted By: casper Re: stamps are going up in price next month - 25th Feb 2016 8:38am
Yep, another private sector money spinner, carte blanche to keep putting prices up.
Posted By: Salmon Re: stamps are going up in price next month - 25th Feb 2016 9:16am
I know it seems a lot to post a letter but consider the alternative. If you want to get a missive from Wirral to let's say Aberdeen,how could you do it without a postage stamp?
I don't understand how Royal Mail can expect to survive.Other companies pick the cream and deliver to all the nice easy, multi drop places and Royal Mail are left with the rest including remote places and homes with difficult access all for 54-64pence per item plus they end up delivering all the stuff the other companies take but pass on. I would love to know how much these people pay Royal Mail.
Originally Posted by Salmon
I don't understand how Royal Mail can expect to survive.

Something like half of letters are handled by non Royal Mail services, but even then Royal Mail get a cut under the "final mile" contracts.

Royal mail also have well over 100,000 post boxes.

I don't agree with companies being able to cherry pick areas they operate under, they should be forced to operate all areas and subcontract where they don't operate themselves.

Its difficult, Royal Mail has got a monopoly and it can be argued that there should be competition to retain value for money - but nobody could possibly start a national postage service overnight.

I see it very similar to BT/Open Reach etc and telephone/internet services - if its regulated correctly it will all work out.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral