Forums
Posted By: palemoon New National Anthem for England. - 13th Jan 2016 9:50am
MPs are expected to vote later on the idea of England adopting its own national anthem.
Jerusalem is favourite!!!!!!!
Now I understand that the word Jerusalem actually means a better place but surely in this very delicate international situation this country has found itself in, the national anthem named after a Middle Eastern city is not the best choice.
Posted By: Dilly Re: New National Anthem for England. - 13th Jan 2016 10:32am
You can feel sure whatever they should pick it will offend some religious beliefs. Heard on the news this morning that someone even suggested Bowie's Heroes.
Posted By: dustymclean Re: New National Anthem for England. - 13th Jan 2016 11:07am
Another indicator for the collapse of The United Kingdom.Our exit from European citizenship maybe a solo affair we will regret for decades.I would put forward "Only The Lonely" The World is waiting to kick this arrogant nation in the, "Jocks" to name a few will love this.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: New National Anthem for England. - 13th Jan 2016 11:49am
Another bit of space filling drivel from the media. Neither Scotland, Wales nor Northern Ireland have their own official National Anthems, various songs are used in the same manner that Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory is used as an English "sports" national anthem - the one and only official anthem for all British countries is the National Anthem "God Save the Queen".

I'll be happy to hang, draw and quarter them for treason.
Posted By: granny Re: New National Anthem for England. - 13th Jan 2016 12:37pm
What a ridiculous idea ! Far too outdated, as is Land of Hope and Glory.

God Save Our Queen is our anthem ,as DD says but it could be the back door to fading out our monarchy, which would please many.

If we were going to change it we should have something that strikes up a bit of patriotism in this country and at the moment,particularly with the young. Heroes could be a better option.

There again, who wants the European National Anthem ? Ode to Joy, music by German born Beethoven (would you believe?)

Maybe this is a preface for us adopting that too. After me now 1,2 3, ....raise you right arm and click your heels in time to the music.
Posted By: granny Re: New National Anthem for England. - 13th Jan 2016 1:21pm
. [youtube]MTH5gnluOVg[/youtube]
Posted By: cools Re: New National Anthem for England. - 13th Jan 2016 1:26pm
I'm a traditionalist and wouldn't like the national anthem to be changed. Maybe when the Queen (hate saying that) dies , perhaps....Think the Queen would be quite hurt by it.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: New National Anthem for England. - 13th Jan 2016 1:55pm
Ha, "God Save the Queen" isn't an official Anthem either as it turns out, its just a custom.
Posted By: cools Re: New National Anthem for England. - 13th Jan 2016 2:32pm
Well I've grown up with it and was taught to respect and stand up whenever it came on. Remember it used to be the last thing heard before the tv went off( yes youngsters the tv actually shut down at 12 am, think it was that time) and when you went the flicks they played it at end with everybody standing up...
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: New National Anthem for England. - 13th Jan 2016 3:30pm
hows about this a take on the Beautiful South song you keep it all in

You know your problem
You let them all in
You know your problem
You let them all in

That's right
The Conservative we have is weak
When all I wanted to do was
love you with all my heart
you let them all in

You know your problem
You let them all in
You know your problem
You let them all in

Midnight, a husband getting ready to fight
A daughter sleeps alone with the light
Turned on, she bears but
Keeps it all in

Just like that murder in gay Paree
Just like that robbery from your MP
With all there things that have happened we see
I kept it all in
Why do you keep on telling me now

You know your problem
You let them all in
You know your problem
You let them all in

That's sweet
That Conservative we have is weak
When you gagged and bound us to our seat
You're right, I do
I keep it all in
Posted By: fish5133 Re: New National Anthem for England. - 13th Jan 2016 5:17pm
Always found our anthem dull and boring. Mark of a good anthem is the hairs standing on the back of your neck and knowing the words. Maybe if we put this verse back in it might create a bit more national fervour

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
and like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save the King.
Posted By: Tatey Re: New National Anthem for England. - 14th Jan 2016 7:45am
I am quite happy with what we already have, but perhaps something in Arabic might be more appropriate as surely that is the way we are heading?
Posted By: snowhite Re: New National Anthem for England. - 14th Jan 2016 8:47am
Originally Posted by Tatey
I am quite happy with what we already have, but perhaps something in Arabic might be more appropriate as surely that is the way we are heading?
withthat it looks like it Tatey.
Maybe LAND OF HOPE AND GLORY,Would be a good one.
Posted By: palemoon Re: New National Anthem for England. - 14th Jan 2016 9:18am
Originally Posted by Tatey

Well, apparently curry is now the national dish, as opposed to fish and chips, so we could be heading in that direction. cry
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: New National Anthem for England. - 14th Jan 2016 2:34pm
Originally Posted by palemoon
Well, apparently curry is now the national dish, as opposed to fish and chips, so we could be heading in that direction. cry

Chicken Tikka Masala is a British dish not foreign and has probably been the most popular since at least 2001.
Posted By: granny Re: New National Anthem for England. - 14th Jan 2016 3:43pm
Er..Chicken Tikka is Indian dish and the masala sauce which is spices and not a curry,was invented by a Pakistani chef to make it more palatable for the English.

(Do I drive you mad ?)
Posted By: StringyBob Re: New National Anthem for England. - 15th Jan 2016 3:03am
The Guardian printed a list of 10 suggestions, one of which should make all Wirralians proud: "National Shite Day" by our very own Half Man Half Biscuit. It gets my vote!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: New National Anthem for England. - 15th Jan 2016 3:21pm
"God Save the Queen." It did me for 34 years in the mob so don't see any need for change. It gets you going in the right circumstances. Who gives a monkey's what they play at sports occasions anyway? It's all drugs and fiddle, as is now becoming common knowledge.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: New National Anthem for England. - 15th Jan 2016 3:37pm
Was that Victoria or Anne? wink
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: New National Anthem for England. - 18th Jan 2016 1:46pm
Bodacea. She was a bloody good King.

oldman
Posted By: jimbob Re: New National Anthem for England. - 18th Jan 2016 4:24pm
Pleased Bandy
© Wirral-Wikiwirral