Forums
Posted By: Mark Thousands Braced For Floods As Army Prepares - 25th Dec 2015 5:57pm
Heavy rain is set to hit swollen rivers in Cumbria, where some regions have been hit by flooding three times within a month.

Up to 120mm of rain is expected to fall in parts of the North West - which has already suffered the wettest December since records began in 1910 - between now and Saturday.

Read More click me
Posted By: Mark Re: Thousands Braced For Floods As Army Prepares - 25th Dec 2015 6:32pm
Its amazing that mother nature can still keep all the resources from the environmental agency at bay.

The army is involved now, and it just makes you think are we really now this helpless to hold back the floods. .

Business and Homes are being flooded. Anyone trying to sell a home or business has lost any chance of that.

We see the local people with a tough stance, "We wont be beaten" but the flood is only the start.

There is a donations topic running click me

The shocking thing is, this isn't coastal this is in land and pretty much coming off the hills. We had heavy rain about a hour or so ago, and its heading NE. Rivers will burst if the clouds keep that force of rain, no question.

Its just shocking in the 21st century.
Developers keep on building in the most ridiculous places.

Look at New Brighton, look at Los Angeles.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Thousands Braced For Floods As Army Prepares - 26th Dec 2015 1:37pm
Its time the government over ruled the EU directive regarding not dredging rivers. Years of build up of silt and gravel has made rivers a lot shallower. I read some where a directive from the EU came out around 2001 ish forbidding the dredging so as to protect the habitat of the river beds.
Posted By: Mark Re: Thousands Braced For Floods As Army Prepares - 26th Dec 2015 2:23pm
Red Warnings Flood Alerts click me

Attached picture Screenshot_2015-12-26-13-28-31.png
Had a wander down to Bala today, the River Dee had spread itself across fields at Rhug as had the lake (Llyn Tegid) at Bala but only in the usual places so no properties were at risk.

The lake had quite a storm on it at the northwest end by Bala, I'll try and put some piccies and vid up later.
Llyn Tegid (aka Lake Bala) on Boxing Day.

Attached picture P1210632-s.jpg
Attached picture P1210633-s.jpg
Today in Holt by the River Dee.

Attached picture DSCN4136.JPG
Attached picture DSCN4127.JPG
Attached picture DSCN4137.JPG
Attached picture DSCN4139.JPG
Attached picture DSCN4143.JPG
Attached picture DSCN4144.JPG
Attached picture DSCN4147.JPG
Attached picture DSCN4148.JPG
Attached picture DSCN4145.JPG
Posted By: granny Re: Thousands Braced For Floods As Army Prepares - 27th Dec 2015 7:43pm
A55 on Boxing Day

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cools Re: Thousands Braced For Floods As Army Prepares - 27th Dec 2015 7:48pm
How awful this must be for these poor people . I think they are going to have to build on stilts for these affected places. Some architect could come up with a plan I'm sure. Rubber waterproof bottoms on a higher level or something. Am I talking rubbish again?
Originally Posted by cools
How awful this must be for these poor people . I think they are going to have to build on stilts for these affected places. Some architect could come up with a plan I'm sure. Rubber waterproof bottoms on a higher level or something. Am I talking rubbish again?
12ft deep in some parts.kids playground under water.
In Bala, the fields were just like lakes,The sheep were all huddled together at the top of the grassy area of the fields.
We have been lucky here.
[youtube]v=Mrk9f05T7F8[/youtube] Cumbria floods.sheepdog rescues sheep.
Very clever.
Posted By: granny Re: Thousands Braced For Floods As Army Prepares - 27th Dec 2015 8:42pm
.and in Uruguay, Paraguay, Argentina and Brazil:

Some 20,000 people have been evacuated in the border city of Concordia, where the Uruguay river is now 14 metres (46 feet) above its normal levels

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-35184793
More to come for next week Granny.
Wales ,Manchester and surrounding areas.
Posted By: granny Re: Thousands Braced For Floods As Army Prepares - 27th Dec 2015 9:25pm
It's all to do with 'El Nino', Snowy ...if you can understand it.
It's way above my capability but I'm sure someone will explain. smile
Posted By: Mark Re: Thousands Braced For Floods As Army Prepares - 28th Dec 2015 1:15am

200 more troops dispatched.

Now leeds and york underwater!!
Posted By: granny Re: Thousands Braced For Floods As Army Prepares - 28th Dec 2015 12:25pm
Thanks Mark. Interesting and quite a bit clearer. smile
Sure is interesting.
Thanks for that Mark.
Posted By: Mark Re: Thousands Braced For Floods As Army Prepares - 28th Dec 2015 3:54pm
This one is more animated so easier to follow.

Posted By: granny Re: Thousands Braced For Floods As Army Prepares - 29th Dec 2015 11:04am
Many will not have insurance cover, due to the fact they are in a flood risk area. Not even a case of paying a higher premium, it's just not possible to get.

What happens to the foundations of these homes and buildings when they have been standing in such wet conditions for so long ? Do they rot, or disintegrate ?

Looking at these maps, it shows how the rainfall has changed over a period of years and is interesting to see how many things have an impact. Even chopping down trees (rather than pruning them) on Barnston Road and Thingwall Road, can have an impact . Plus the ridiculous fact that planning applications made to councils for building on flood risk areas , have quite often been passed .

http://www.coolgeography.co.uk/GCSE/AQA/Water%20on%20the%20Land/Flooding/Flooding.htm
Posted By: Mark Re: Thousands Braced For Floods As Army Prepares - 29th Dec 2015 6:49pm
When buying a home you also have a flood risk as part of your home buyers kit.
So you will know the risks. But how accurate are they ??

So that's pretty much got you stuck with a house you can no longer sell.
Insurance : The government was supposed to help, as in providing insurance if you could not get insurance, but from what the comments have been on the TV it does sound like people can not get insurance for there homes, or its so high the premium its just too much.

The thing is, its happening where its not expected, and it just goes to show non of us are safe anymore.

I think your screwed if you live within 100 mtrs of a river.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral