Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Pensions - Another Gift to the Rich? - 20th Nov 2015 11:59pm
Osborne has just given another rise to the state pension - but who gets this rise.

A poor pensioner only on state pension will NOT get a rise because their pension is topped up to £151.20 by pension credit.

A rich pensioner not receiving pension credit will get the full rise.
Posted By: granny Re: Pensions - Another Gift to the Rich? - 21st Nov 2015 12:18am
Well count me as a rich pensioner as I get £5 a week over and above the pension credit criteria. That means I have to pay full council tax, and full everything else.

So I am worse off, the one who paid into a pension fund once I earned enough to do so which doesn't even cover my council tax. So thank you Mr Osborne, about time the under privileged voice was heard.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Pensions - Another Gift to the Rich? - 21st Nov 2015 12:40am
Double check, I just threw some figures into the pension credit calculator intentionally totalling £5 a week over the £151.20 (single) pension credit and it told me I was entitled to £12.92 a week.

I used ....

£115.95 state pension
£40 private pension

Which totals £155.95 a week

PENSION CREDIT CALCULATOR
Posted By: granny Re: Pensions - Another Gift to the Rich? - 21st Nov 2015 11:33am
On that basis, you would get 12.92 plus exemption from council tax which could be anything up to £150 per month. So take an average of £100 equivalent to another £25 per week on top of.
Have a look at the 'savings credit'. It's too darn complicated for me. All I know is, I get 'nowt in the way of freebees, unlike others.
Posted By: granny Re: Pensions - Another Gift to the Rich? - 21st Nov 2015 11:53am
For anyone else who might be confused !

http://www.which.co.uk/money/retire...ained/how-much-state-pension-will-i-get/
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Pensions - Another Gift to the Rich? - 21st Nov 2015 2:41pm
Another gift to the rich my arris. It's an increase to the basic state pension. Don't get tax credit myself but pay tax on the bit I get over the odds and pay for my dental treatment etc etc. Everybody is different so it's a waste of time trying lump everyone into categories in this case. I can't see anyone dipping out. They're trying to straighten out the anomalies and it's bound to upset someone.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Pensions - Another Gift to the Rich? - 21st Nov 2015 4:23pm
Someone on basic state pension with pension credit will not get any rise out of this increase (they were getting £151.20 in total and will still get £151.20 in total), what they gain in state pension they lose 100% in pension credit.

Someone getting a million pounds private pension and state pension will get an increase.

Some people currently just below pension credit threshold will be pushed out of pension credit and will lose many other benefits (free dental, glasses, prescriptions, reduced council tax etc) which will cost them more than the increase - so they will lose money.

Posted By: dustymclean Re: Pensions - Another Gift to the Rich? - 21st Nov 2015 4:29pm
Someone getting a million pound private pension will be calling his state pension a tax refund.
Posted By: granny Re: Pensions - Another Gift to the Rich? - 21st Nov 2015 4:53pm
Ha ha ! Don't get to depressed. Mr Osborne is to announce that Council Tax will be allowed to rise up to 2% from next year.

So those who don't gain in the state pension stakes, will gain in the concessions on council tax. Those who benefit from the rise will be paying more council tax.

So who are the losers ?

Signed

The Rich Bitch
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Pensions - Another Gift to the Rich? - 22nd Nov 2015 12:30pm
The 2% is a new "social care precept" so will be additional to the council tax rise - but there will be the usual bribery/penalties to try and limit any chances of a rise in council tax.

Basically the government are introducing a new tax so they can still boast that the old tax hasn't increased.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Pensions - Another Gift to the Rich? - 22nd Nov 2015 2:12pm
Its good to hear I am Rich { quote from DD } due to having paid into a separate pension pot which exempts me from any form of top up from the state which means I will get the rise. Oops just got the heating allowance perhaps I should send it back, along with my bus pass.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Pensions - Another Gift to the Rich? - 22nd Nov 2015 2:32pm
Oh yes, the Heating Allowance. I'd forgotten that was coming up anytime now. Thanks Jimbob. Well, that's Christmas sorted !!!! grin
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Pensions - Another Gift to the Rich? - 22nd Nov 2015 5:23pm
I never said all people that would get the pension increase are rich, a few people have put words in my mouth.

What I said was the the rich would get a rise and the poorest wouldn't - I didn't mention or imply anything about the in-betweens.

I would get the increase if I was old enough, that doesn't stop me from seeing the injustice.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral