Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Geoffrey Howe - 11th Oct 2015 12:02pm
Geoffrey Howe ex-MP for Bebington died on Friday.

In my mind as a true Tory he wrote his own legacy ....

“We do not want to find ourselves concentrating all the limited cash that may have to be made available into Liverpool and having nothing left for possibly more promising areas such as the West Midlands or, even, the North East.

“It would be even more regrettable if some of the brighter ideas for renewing economic activity were to be sewn only on the relatively stony ground on the banks of the Mersey.

“I cannot help but feel that the option of managed decline is one which we should not forget altogether. We must not expend all our limited resources in trying to make water flow uphill.”
Posted By: Salmon Re: Geoffrey Howe - 11th Oct 2015 2:06pm
It was an outrageous letter from any MP but even worse from an MP for the area. Fortunately Michael (Lord) Heseltine saw things differently and he was the responsible cabinet minister.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Geoffrey Howe - 11th Oct 2015 5:10pm
Must have been a Sun reader
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Geoffrey Howe - 12th Oct 2015 8:23am
All I can remember of him is an appalling budget, losing his trousers on a train, and Healey saying that being attacked by him was like being savaged by a dead sheep!

He was credited with 'bringing down Thatcher' but she was wounded and bleeding badly by then. His attack was opportunistic, and unnecessarily vengeful. His vanity had evidently been pricked by her sacking him, one of the few good things she ever did.

He was a typical grovelling overpromoted tory hack.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral