Forums
Posted By: Mark 5p for all single-use carrier bags - 5th Sep 2015 10:51pm
5p for all single-use carrier bags from 5 October 2015

large shops in England to charge 5p for all single-use plastic carrier bags from 5 October 2015.

source click me
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 5p for all single-use carrier bags - 5th Sep 2015 11:01pm
Simple solution to that, supermarkets just need to print multi-use on their cheap carrier bags raftl
Posted By: j_demo Re: 5p for all single-use carrier bags - 6th Sep 2015 12:00am
I'm all for it. M&S already do in the new one in cheshire oaks at the self serve tills (free for a small carrier bag though)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 5p for all single-use carrier bags - 6th Sep 2015 7:33am
Up here in Sporranshire, they have had the 5p charge on plastic bags for a while, as have Wales of course. On my travels through town and country - mostly the latter, there does seem to be less bags festooning our roadsides now. That can't be a bad thing. Remembering to take a re-useable (cotton or PVC) bag into the store is at last now embedded in the swede.

On the odd occasion I forget the re-useable bag and have to pay the 5p a bag charge, at least I know the cash is going to charity. Wadayamean - 4p is syphoned off as "administration charge" ??? shocked
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 5p for all single-use carrier bags - 6th Sep 2015 10:56am
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
at least I know the cash is going to charity. Wadayamean - 4p is syphoned off as "administration charge" ??? shocked

Reading the regulations, there is nothing to say the shop can't keep the 5p, it says it is "expected" that the money will go to a good cause, it does not say that it is compulsory.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: 5p for all single-use carrier bags - 9th Sep 2015 12:41pm
Its been standard in Wales for some years now and doesn't really cause any problems. After a couple of times of forgetting your bags and having to pay, you soon remember.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral