Forums
Posted By: svenlock68 the new improved inconvenient truth - 30th Aug 2015 9:03am
As you know i love documentaries...."cowspiracy" shows how its animal agriculture thats destroying the planet not our cars trains fossil fuels etc etc
Its a bit polarised but you cant deny what it says...its our food not our lives killing us and as usual no one wants to confront it
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: the new improved inconvenient truth - 30th Aug 2015 9:15am
There has been quite a bit of work on creating cow feed that reduces methane production. There are also swamps and all sorts producing mega amounts of green-house gas.

Man made global warming is negligible and to all purposes irrelevant, something I and many others have been arguing for many years - but it pays the scientists to perpetuate the myth.
Posted By: granny Re: the new improved inconvenient truth - 30th Aug 2015 12:53pm
Talking about 'inconveniences'; in India the children are being paid to 'poo' in toilets ! So far, they don't have anywhere near enough of them.

In India, nearly half of the population - more than 590m people - relieve themselves in the open.

That could also contribute to the 'global warming' smile
Posted By: granny Re: the new improved inconvenient truth - 30th Aug 2015 1:40pm
Courtesy of Unicef and Poo2loo campaign

[youtube]_peUxE_BKcU[/youtube]

Just thought you might like to see it. party

Posted By: svenlock68 Re: the new improved inconvenient truth - 30th Aug 2015 1:57pm
Granny. Ok but theres a global herd of 60 billion animals feeding us at the mo but its not sustainable .....its simple maths as were obsessed with expanding esp in the uk. Everyones pushin a pram ha
Posted By: granny Re: the new improved inconvenient truth - 30th Aug 2015 9:51pm
Yes, you're correct. A baby born in India every 5 seconds.

Much of animal affluence is used for fertilizer and also for many other things. Converting it to fuel in many countries which seems a good option. We used to have guano dealers once upon a time for fertilizer. Very high in nitrogen, phosphate and potassium. I believe cattle/cowpat is also very high in nutrients for the ground, so there can be a use for everything if dealt with in the right way. We could even use it for building materials. House built with that stuff, can stand for 400 years or more, and knocking them down is a massive task. Why don't we take a step back in time and learn from what our ancestors did best. Only technology has made us change, for the worse in many ways. Someone will argue with that, but I doubt reducing the amount of livestock for consumption is likely to happen. Quite the reverse. So lets start building crap houses smile
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: the new improved inconvenient truth - 30th Aug 2015 11:39pm
Most of the ruminant greenhouse gas is produced during digestion not the final waste.

Cement production is hugely bad for the environment, the temperature and quantity of heat required is such that they have special licenses to allow them to burn cheap materials that nobody else is allowed to burn for health reasons. They need to find a replacement process.
Posted By: petethebike Re: the new improved inconvenient truth - 1st Sep 2015 6:34pm
Nearly all the guano imported to this country and the rest of Europe,was used in the munitions trade.The First World War was mostly fueled by the guano from the islands in the southern Pacific off the Chilian coast.Dangerous stuff!

quote=granny]Yes, you're correct. A baby born in India every 5 seconds.

Much of animal affluence is used for fertilizer and also for many other things. Converting it to fuel in many countries which seems a good option. We used to have guano dealers once upon a time for fertilizer. Very high in nitrogen, phosphate and potassium. I believe cattle/cowpat is also very high in nutrients for the ground, so there can be a use for everything if dealt with in the right way. We could even use it for building materials. House built with that stuff, can stand for 400 years or more, and knocking them down is a massive task. Why don't we take a step back in time and learn from what our ancestors did best. Only technology has made us change, for the worse in many ways. Someone will argue with that, but I doubt reducing the amount of livestock for consumption is likely to happen. Quite the reverse. So lets start building crap houses smile [/quote]
Posted By: granny Re: the new improved inconvenient truth - 1st Sep 2015 7:10pm
It was used long before then Pete. At least approx 80yrs that I know of in this country. A distant relative was a guano dealer in Chester in 1830's/40's .

That's a claim to fame ,if ever there was ! laugh
Posted By: granny Re: the new improved inconvenient truth - 1st Sep 2015 8:17pm
Just had thought, would that be what they used in lime kilns ?

What did they make in lime kilns?

As you say Pete, pretty powerful stuff !
Posted By: chriskay Re: the new improved inconvenient truth - 1st Sep 2015 10:28pm
Originally Posted by granny

What did they make in lime kilns?

Lime?
Actually, calcium oxide or quicklime, which was then slaked with water to produce the lime which was used in mortar, until cement replaced it.
Posted By: granny Re: the new improved inconvenient truth - 1st Sep 2015 11:00pm
Oh ! Thanks Chris. I was thinking it was the bird lime used to fire the kilns up. Whatever next ?? doh
© Wirral-Wikiwirral