Forums
Posted By: derekdwc Overseas Aid - 21st Apr 2015 12:43pm
I don't know how,where and What on our overseas aid is spent on Although it seems silly to me that we give money to countries like India and Pakistan who have atomic weapons.

But what roles do politics and economics play in deciding how much money each country receives? And what exactly is that money being earmarked for?

In monetary terms, the UK now has the second highest aid budget in the world behind the US which spends £19.6billion. But that is just 0.19 per cent of its national income. France spends 0.36 per cent, and Germany 0.41 per cent.

The 28 DAC members spent a total of £81billion on aid last year – a record figure, but down in real terms. It means the UK's budget of £11.7 billion is a seventh of the entire total for the Western world.

click
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Overseas Aid - 21st Apr 2015 1:48pm
I guess some goes on good works of some description and the remainder (probably the larger part) is part of an 'under the radar' back scratching policy - the detail of which we will never know.
Posted By: granny Re: Overseas Aid - 22nd Apr 2015 7:28am
Hasn't some governing body put forward that EU countries who subscribe should increase their contributions to 0.7% . Can't see Germany agreeing to that.

As, it doesn't always serve the purpose it is meant for and often causes more problems than it fixes, maybe now is the time to adjust it to less.
I think places like India and Pakistan would need it more with their poor population. Even if they have got nuclear , I really don't think that comes into the equation. That is probably also paid for by someone else...although I wouldn't know, just a possibility.

When we stop and think about the poverty in India and Pakistan etc, we really shouldn't be moaning here should we ? Unfortunately, we have become accustomed to a million times better and I imagine is the reason why so many people form Africa, Syria, Turkey, Asia, are heading this way. Who can blame them ? Also the fact that English was made the Universal language. Can't help thinking that all this was set up so very many years ago, maybe when we were still at our mother's breast DWC.

They were having difficulty distributing the increased amount earlier this year. Another 'good idea' that wasn't as productive as hoped for.

Reduce it for each country and put the surplus into dealing with these human traffickers.

(which is another subject all of it's own. I cannot believe how much suffering must be happening else where)
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Overseas Aid - 22nd Apr 2015 2:36pm
From a few years ago

India’s Finance Minister has said that his country “does not require” British aid, describing it as “peanuts

Pranab Mukherjee and other Indian ministers tried to terminate Britain’s aid to their booming country last year - but relented after the British begged them to keep taking the money, The Sunday Telegraph can reveal.

The disclosure will fuel the rising controversy over Britain’s aid to India.

The country is the world’s top recipient of British bilateral aid, even though its economy has been growing at up to 10 per cent a year and is projected to become bigger than Britain’s within a decade.
source

I wonder how much of this goes on - bribes?
Last week India rejected the British-built Typhoon jet as preferred candidate for a £6.3 billion warplane deal, despite the Development Secretary, Andrew Mitchell, saying that Britain’s aid to Delhi was partly “about seeking to sell Typhoon.”

DFID declined to comment on why it had asked the Indian government to continue with a programme it wanted to end
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Overseas Aid - 22nd Apr 2015 2:40pm
List of countries by world foreign aid received
Just been browsing the different countries I hadn't heard of

list
© Wirral-Wikiwirral