Forums
Posted By: granny Ebola Crisis - 1st Nov 2014 10:33pm
As a nation we should be proud. Nearly always in the darkest times for others, we try to help in the best way we can.
The ebola appeal has raised £4million in 2 days. What a fantastic result!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29864580

As of 22 October, UK had pledged $190m, France has contributed just $7.4 million to the main UN fund and made no commitment to future funding. Italy has pledged a total of around $8 million but so far delivered just $2 million. Spain has put in a mere $540,000 and made no additional commitments, Germany has paid $16 million with no further commitments.(they really get my goat)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-how-much-theyve-paid-into-the-fund.html

Funny how the uk and America are better able to pull their fingers out when all disasters strike.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Ebola Crisis - 1st Nov 2014 10:44pm
Bollox.
Posted By: granny Re: Ebola Crisis - 1st Nov 2014 10:57pm
Bollox to what? The total raised has now reached £8million
Posted By: casper Re: Ebola Crisis - 2nd Nov 2014 10:01am
I think he's refering to the amount the UK puts in as against the rest of europe not bad for a country that professes to be on its knees and is using the blame culture,the unemployed, the aged, the disabled in its efforts to make us competetive with third world countries.
Posted By: granny Re: Ebola Crisis - 2nd Nov 2014 11:50am
Oh, I thought that maybe she didn't agree with an appeal.

Which ever it is, we have to understand that money or rather aid is not necessarily donated in cash from one country to another, and it is taken from a completely different budget to the likes of pensions or road maintenance. So the money sitting in the account waiting for a disaster to happen, cannot be used for anything else. The same criteria covers e.g road infrastructure, that money sitting in an account cannot be used for unemployment benefits.
Anyway, I think we do bloody well as a nation at the public fundraising achievements , and it is probably much the same people who donate to foodbanks , so those who are able, share it around. That in principle is what many would like to see anyway. The rich giving to the poor, and so they do in many ways.
This ebola crisis is critical and needs all the help it can get. Flu pandemic in 1918 infected 500million people worldwide, and killed between 50 and 100 million. We don't want anything like that do we? With much more travel between countries now, the impact would be far worse.
It was prophesised that 75% of the earths population would be wiped out....maybe this is the start, so in that case no amount of money will help I suppose ! smile

See how quickly the Black Death Spread
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Death
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Ebola Crisis - 3rd Nov 2014 1:15am
Originally Posted by granny
Flu pandemic in 1918 infected 500million people worldwide, and killed between 50 and 100 million. We don't want anything like that do we? With much more travel between countries now, the impact would be far worse.

plague was spread by fleas/rats, ebola can't be spread this way.

the media must of had a quiet news week when they decided to run the ebola story, this outbreak has been ongoing since february and when you look at the causes of death in africa ebola is way down the list.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ebola Crisis - 3rd Nov 2014 4:34am
Originally Posted by granny
Bollox to what? The total raised has now reached £8million

Please, entertain me with your views on the following subject, i am extremely interested. smile ......

Clicky

Attached picture scare.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral