Forums
Posted By: x_plore Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 1st May 2014 5:55pm
Fast food giant Subway has removed ham and bacon from almost 200 outlets, and switched to halal meat alternatives in an attempt to please its Muslim customers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...trong-demand-Muslims-eat-Halal-meat.html
Posted By: j_demo Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 1st May 2014 6:00pm
185 out of 1500 stores isn't many and all because they want to sell more subway sandwiches in Islam communities. Why the fuss?? Oh wait it's in the daily mail. That is more of an atrocity than subway wanting to sell sandwiches.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 2nd May 2014 5:58am
Well, there is another shop I will never visit!
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 2nd May 2014 9:55am
What happened to them pleasing there none Muslim customers.

If subway want to please the Muslims then they should offer halal meat as a choice, not totally remove pork from menu. So they want to annoy ham lovers, or force them to go else where.

i have a feeling they will regret it.

What's next, are they going to remove the veg options to please meat lovers or vice versa.
Posted By: granny Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 2nd May 2014 11:15am
An American fast food chain, that has different menus for different regions. Jews don't eat 'piggies' either and I dare say it is Jewish owned/franchised.
If they intend to go down that route for religious reason, then they should also observe religious customs like Jewish and Muslim Sabbath days and close on days of importance to various faiths. That would mean closing Friday, Saturday and Sunday(for any Christians that maybe lurking under a bush somewhere.
Never heard such a load of rubbish. Mind you, it could be a healthy option for us. Red meat and fatty meat(e.g. pig)are advised against by the medical profession in this country as a preventative step against bowel cancer.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 2nd May 2014 1:37pm
mountain out of a molehill this thread really

if your local chippy didn't do battered twix bars and a load of residents wanted battered twix bars and suggested it enough the chippy would do battered twix bars rather than lose out on customers, same theory here. enough people wanted halal meat for the franchise to have it on the menu. it doesn't affect any of us here does it? i know most kebab shops are halal and we still eat in them, i don't see what the fuss is about, if you went in there for a bacon and sausage sandwich they'd show you the door, you're the minority. they are catering (literally) for the majority of the customers in the area of the shop. they just want to sell more sandwiches and make a bit more money, i really don't see what the whole furore is about as in the comments above.

Tatey are you going to boycott subway because of this? if so that's ridiculously petty of you.

Willo i agree with halal being an option but not get rid of pork etc but it's how they want it to be, they may regret it but i think these will be franchises and not 100% subway.

that's all i really have to say about this.

i for one will continue to visit (and thoroughly enjoy) subway as a fast-food option.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 2nd May 2014 1:58pm
I'm not bothered who sells what or where, I am concerned however that an animal can have its throat slit without being stunned first. In this green and pleasant land, if you kick a dogs arse, you face possible prosecution and rightly so. It probably comes under a cruelty law, no where near as cruel as slitting an animals throat, I wouldn't think. My view is Subway are supporting animal cruelty.
Posted By: casper Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 2nd May 2014 2:40pm
I am with Bert on this one, religion in one guise or another making rules, dividing and causing unrest, but worst of all slitting an animals throat without stunning and letting it bleed out.
Heard about this 'report' on Facebook yesterday.

Amazes me that people believe the 'article' to be true, rant and rave accordingly.....without researching themselves.

As of yesterday, Subway continues to serve Ham, Pork, Bacon in its butties..... within Wallasey stores anyhow.

Utter BULLSHIT from the Daily Mail as per usual.
The giant fast-food company has converted nearly 200 of its stores nationwide to halal meat “in order to meet consumer demand.”

Read more: http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Cam...al-meat-20140501122052.htm#ixzz30b3sx6TH

"without researching themselves."
Don't Type Bullshit yourself.

Tatey are you going to boycott subway because of this? if so that's ridiculously petty of you.

Disagree: 'we are all ripples and with collectiveness we can create waves'

Oh, they still sell pork and ham in Wallasey store, so the Daily Mail got it wrong... YOU got it wrong, every time the Daily Mail is mentioned you get out of your box, and as usual get it wrong. Give it a rest.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 2nd May 2014 10:21pm
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
Oh, they still sell pork and ham in Wallasey store, so the Daily Mail got it wrong... YOU got it wrong, every time the Daily Mail is mentioned you get out of your box, and as usual get it wrong. Give it a rest.
I have not 'got it wrong' with regards to this 'article. Inbox me if you want to furthur this discussion (no audiences there) As for 'give it a rest'- NO! My view is as valid as is everybody elses- you thinking that I am wrong (your problem,not mine) I wouldn't wipe my arse on the Daily Mail but other people like to read it....

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 2nd May 2014 10:27pm
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
The giant fast-food company has converted nearly 200 of its stores nationwide to halal meat “in order to meet consumer demand.”

Read more: http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Cam...al-meat-20140501122052.htm#ixzz30b3sx6TH

"without researching themselves."
Don't Type Bullshit yourself.
Baaaaah Baaah Baaaah.
If a certain section of the community wants to eat meat killed the Hala way,I would like to eat meat in which the way an animal is killed,by stunning it first. Am I getting a choice,or is it all Hala killed?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 3rd May 2014 10:04am
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/subway-removes-ham-bacon-halal.shtml
Posted By: TheDr Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 3rd May 2014 12:02pm
Only a "few" Subway outlets are selling Halal meat, doing what every business does, responding to consumer demand.

If you open a Subway in an area that has a majority Muslim population, why would you exclude each and every one of them as customers, it wouldn't make sense.

McDonalds tried it a few years ago in one of its branches, it didn't work for them, so they stopped it, responding to market demand.

The view of how an animal is killed in the Halal way seems to concentrate on one point, the slitting of its throat. Life itself can be very difficult to take away (as a recent USA execution showed). Non-halal food can be herded, stunned, electrocuted (not always successfully), a bolt through the brain etc, non of them particularly nice, but all (from tests of the amount of adrenalin, caused by stress/fear in the animals later) much worse than allowing the blood to be pumped out of the body until the heat stops.

A sick animal can never be killed the Halal way, they must always be healthy, the food is carefully monitored (not a single case of horsemeat in any Halal foods) and if anyone thinks that Subway adjusting a few of its menus will change life in the UK forever they need to look around.

None of the Subway in this area are going to change, why, because there is zero demand for it.

Who has been to Manchester's "curry mile" ? Just about every one is Halal certified. The regulars want it, and nobody else notices any difference.

If the demand is so strong in an area for an "old style" Subway, another one will open, it's a franchise, always available to someone who wants to take up the opportunity.
Posted By: granny Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 3rd May 2014 1:03pm
Extract: One of the benefits of living in the countryside is that you meet people that work in agriculture; these are the people that bring us our vegetables and meat. Through speaking to them I started to find out some things about both animal farming and supposed halal meat.

Animals are exploited. If one sees the conditions they are born, bred and die in it would horrify anyone with a good heart. Chickens lead miserable lives in huge sheds, sharing their space and air with thousands of others. They do nothing but feed and get fat as fast as possible ready to make their way to supermarkets selling them as "Value" meat or to a Chicken Cottage on the high street. Larger animals face similar problems. Lambs are pumped full of steroids to make sure they don't die, ewes with hormones so they give birth out of season and both feed on grass treated with insecticides. Cattle are sometimes born and bred in sheds; they never see daylight or eat a blade of grass.

Muslims need to ask whether this is something they are truly happy eating. Is it good to eat meat that is full of rubbish, that led a miserable life and a stressful end? Is it not possible that all this transfers into the meat? One also needs to ask if this method of farming sits with the ethos and spirit of Islam. Does Islam not teach compassion, kindness and does it not fight exploitation? To me both these elements make most of the meat in the UK inedible.

http://www.organic-halal-meat.com/article/halal-meat.php

Extract: as you can see, there are some people out there that do not seem to have a conscience. They are pumping out thousands of carcasses of haram meat to butchers and restaurants and you are eating it. However, my problems with halal meat do not stop there. I also question the hygiene standards of a lot of Muslim owned abattoirs. The vet at my abattoir once said to me that he has seen places in Birmingham that were "covered in shit". "How can you call that halal?" he asked me. My other issue is with the slaughter men. As someone who visits an abattoir every week and does between 10-30 lambs I know your mind drifts. .....
they've been doing this since 2007 (?) no one has mentioned the kosher or the vegetarian only branches though?
Posted By: j_demo Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 5th May 2014 9:48am
Originally Posted by mrhanky
they've been doing this since 2007 (?) no one has mentioned the kosher or the vegetarian only branches though?

the daily mail is only read by vegetarians and racists so that may be why.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 5th May 2014 10:24am
Originally Posted by j_demo

What's your preferred paper ? The Sun !
Posted By: Dilly Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 5th May 2014 10:45am
Originally Posted by Dilly
Originally Posted by j_demo

What's your preferred paper ? The Sun !

You may wish to watch who you call racist, it is a very insulting thing to call someone racist because of what paper they read.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 6th May 2014 11:51am
The article featured on The Blaze website was interesting where it stated:

Pressed further about reports that ham and bacon have been removed completely from menus at 185 locations, the spokeswoman did not answer directly.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...m-from-185-stores-due-to-islamic-demand/

It would be interesting to know if there are any other stores like the Bristol one which have removed pork from the menu.

And if the areas where the stores are predominant Muslim, is it a bad thing to cater for their locals? Ok, I'd be put out if I was passing and wanted a Ham sandwich, but how likely is that going to be?

On the other hand, when you're a national franchise which is supposed to be the same the whole country over, wouldn't you expect the menu to be the same? If they don't want to be a carbon copy Subway, maybe they shouldn't be one?

As has been said, its not a new story and is typical DM hate rousing, although Subway could have handled it better. The Halal statement has been on their website for some time.

And KFC had a similar issue when some of their franchises were not selling a special bacon topped chicken burger a couple of years back.

It is of some concern to practicing Christians though, as it can be considered a sin to consume meat sacrificed for another God. On the other hand, another part of the Bible says its a sin to waste food!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 6th May 2014 7:01pm
I really don't see what the big deal is???

It all tastes the same anyway dohhh!
Posted By: granny Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 7th May 2014 6:01am
Originally Posted by Gibbo
It is of some concern to practicing Christians though, as it can be considered a sin to consume meat sacrificed for another God. On the other hand, another part of the Bible says its a sin to waste food!

Was that copy and paste or did you make it up ? Maybe you can quote the parts of the bible where these two 'sins' of yours mentioned, are mentioned to be 'sins'?
Originally Posted by granny

Was that copy and paste or did you make it up ? Maybe you can quote the parts of the bible where these two 'sins' of yours mentioned, are mentioned to be 'sins'?

Quite irrelevant. The bible is only a compilation of fictitious stories anyway.
Posted By: granny Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 7th May 2014 8:29am
Originally Posted by bizzybee

Quite irrelevant. The bible is only a compilation of fictitious stories anyway.

...and the Quran ? The religious text of Islam, which Muslims believe to be a revelation from God or in Arabic, Allah, in case you didn't know. Is that also a complication of fictitious stories ? Is that not the reason why Halal meat is under discussion ?
Anyway, I wasn't asking you I was asking Gibbo.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 7th May 2014 9:03am
What isn't fictitious is that animals are being cruelly dispatched. Whether it be on religious grounds or not, it is cruelty in my view.
There must have been a time when all animals were dispatched without some form of anaesthetic, stunning, etc.
The time must have then come when a law was passed that animals should be stunned prior to slaughter, there's no other reason other than animal welfare for there to be a need for stunning.
On one hand stunning has to be carried out for animal welfare, on the other hand, animal welfare is dismissed because of religious beliefs.

Some will say it's only a cow, sheep or pig and they are going to die anyway, how many would allow a vet to slit their pets throat and bleed out, not many me finks.
Posted By: granny Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 7th May 2014 9:44am
Yes, agreed Bert, particularly with the quantities which are now needed. To slaughter a cow, halal style, must surely be an horrendous death.
One ray of hope, is the practice has been outlawed in Denmark already.

Two vid's might be of interest to some, so far I have not been able to watch.

[youtube]http://vimeo.com/18118939[/youtube]

Followed by an e-petition which closes in June, if anyone feels so strongly against the practice.

[img]http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/51469[/img]
To be honest i found this quite upsetting,Its just like a horror movie.I only got halfway through the first video and that was enough.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 7th May 2014 10:33am

Just type in "Christians Halal Meat" into Google and you'll have your answer:

Acts 15:29
You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality.

1 Corinthians 10:20-21
...the sacrifices of pagans are offered to demons, not to God, and I do not want you to be participants with demons. You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons too; you cannot have a part in both the Lord's table and the table of demons.

But:

Romans 14:14
As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself.

1 Corinthians 10:25-27 (also 1 Cor 8:4-8)
Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience, for, "The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it."
If some unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you without raising questions of conscience.

A few of the many search results:

http://www.gotquestions.org/halal-food.html
http://www.gotquestions.org/food-sacrificed-idols.html
http://barnabasfund.org/UK/Act/Camp...hould-Christians-eat-halal-meat.html?p=1
http://www.raptureforums.com/forum/christian-chat/76561-ok-christians-eat-halal-meat.html
Posted By: granny Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 7th May 2014 12:39pm
Response to Gibbo.

Paul who wrote Corinthians, Romans and Acts says not to ask where the meat comes from. In his view there is only one God, and any meat sacrificed to 'idols' does not mean anything. The reason he suggests not to ask the origin of the meat is because at that time the transition between Gentiles and Jewish Christians was a difficult time. The Jewish Christians still identified with the Jewish law.So to help them he told them if their decision offended others, not to question. There is no question of sin. Yes, they were advised about wasting food as it was difficult to come by in those times. It was not committed sin. Today we are still being advised not to waste food.

In a nutshell:

Halal food is no different. There is one God who provides for us. Claiming the name of a false god does nothing to the food physically or spiritually. But, like the Corinthians, we should always act out of love. If we are with others who believe halal food is wrong to eat, we should refrain out of concern for their conviction. If we are served food by someone who makes a point that it is halal, we should refrain as a quiet sign that we do not accept the authority of the false god to which it was dedicated. If we are in a restaurant or market or school or home that, we suspect, is serving halal food, we should eat and give thanks to the true God who provides.

Some of the quotes have been isolated so I have enlarged

Acts 15:28-29

New International Version (NIV)

28 It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements: 29 You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things.

Farewell.

Romans !4 v 13-17

13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister. 14 I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean. 15 If your brother or sister is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy someone for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore do not let what you know is good be spoken of as evil.

1 Corinthians 10:18-21

New International Version (NIV)

18 Consider the people of Israel: Do not those who eat the sacrifices participate in the altar? 19 Do I mean then that food sacrificed to an idol is anything, or that an idol is anything? 20 No, but the sacrifices of pagans are offered to demons, not to God, and I do not want you to be participants with demons. 21 You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons too; you cannot have a part in both the Lord’s table and the table of demons

1 Corinthians 10:24-27

24 Let no one seek his own, but each one the other’s well-being.

25 Eat whatever is sold in the meat market, asking no questions for conscience’ sake; 26 for “the earth is the Lord’s, and all its fullness.”[a]

27 If any of those who do not believe invites you to dinner, and you desire to go, eat whatever is set before you, asking no question for conscience’ sake.

So what is not there, is the word 'sin' or implication of 'sin'. Jesus reduced the number of Commandments considerably, originally 613 commandments in the Torah which the Jewish faith followed, this was a time of complete change for Jewish Christians and also in it's infancy. Paul's guidance was given to help, not as punishment and threat of sinfulness.
Gibbo, today, I don't think any Christian's would have an issue over halal meat, other than the actual process of the slaughter, which would apply to many a non-believer too.
Posted By: granny Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 7th May 2014 3:46pm
Paul who wrote Corinthians, Romans and Acts

Sorry, mistake. Almost universally agreed, Acts was written by the same person who wrote the Gospel of Luke.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 7th May 2014 5:40pm
whoa since when did wikiwirral turn into biblestudies.com

as i said earlier, this is getting a bit blown out of proportion, all they want to do is sell some f*cking sandwiches.

jeez.
Posted By: granny Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 7th May 2014 6:15pm
Sorry mate. pray forgiveness

"Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're in the right." - Ricky Gervais, 2011 AD
Rather predictably The ... have 'jumped on board'.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/05/07/pizza-express-halal-debate_n_5279050.html?1399465349

Seems you know more about The Sun than anyone else, you must read it really, otherwise you wouldn't know whats in it. I don't read papers but why should I when I have Rudebox to keep me informed.
If I read the ... why is the link to the Huff Post? duh.
with the pizza express story today yet again DEFRA and RSPCA are silent and "dumb" on allowing meaningless religions to do as they please
ANIMAL RIGHTS NOT RELIGIOUS RIGHTS !!
we kill millions of animals every year ,including many from Europe kept and killed via terrible cruelty and conditions to appease are vacuous massive consumption of cheap meat.
various religions only make up a tiny amount of this yet we continue to pander to them
We have lost control of our food and are lied to for profit on EVERY food stuff.
Denmark has banned it but well never have the balls
As usual the UK is weak to have a voice
Id love people who justify cruelty and hunting and all those horrible methods to be there at the point of death to see it.....up close.....their views would change I bet you
But with the human race if this will full ignorance continues out of sight out of mind itll always be.....
The commodification of animal death has gone right over board in all countries
WE OWE IT TO THEM they deserve respect in death as many have short and cruel lives esp pigs, chickens, male dairy cows etc
stunning and humane methods should run over stupid meaningless human religions PERIOD
I have always had very little sympathy with humans who gorge on crap foods sugar cheap meat fags beer all their lives then complain about fatness and ill health
KARMA is natures way of killing us to adjust the balance of our massive killing almost factory line death camp of the Nazis view of animals and their suffering
if anyones ok with this method.....watch on youtube
"earthlings"
"the task of blood"
"from farm to fridge"
"this is halal"
"our daily bread"
"food inc"
"this aint happy meat"
an interesting point is if you watched "supervet" last night, most workers in the vet industry are WOMEN and 99% of slaughter house staff are MEN basically cause you have to have low empathy for living things in one but high in the other
youll never have women moaning about the right to work in slaughter houses
although super vet was a man he showed utter respect for animals as a FORM OF LIFE AND THATS THE IMPORTANT THING that is often forgotten
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...ing-us-say-chickens-201405078631907-05-1

CHICKENS have thanked consumers for their concern over methods of slaughter and asked if that goodwill could be extended to just leaving them alone.

I was in London working for years, you only seem to be able to get halal there.I'm not a Muslim so I asked one of them did they have an option that hadn't been prayed over by one of them, confused looks all around.I was in Whitechapel road, the tower of London is At the very bottom but it was crammed with muslims selling on the pavement,I saw cabbages in the gutter whilst being deafened by that wailing call to prayer of there's, and I thought this is England, the one where the few gave so much in the battle of Britain. A guy from Africa who came here as a refugee was saying on TV the other day he hated us and we owe the whole world a living because we ruined his country and most others.I'm not a rabid racist,I know there has to be a compromise but I also know that lots of racists are non whites.
If god didn't want us to eat animals why did he make them taste like meat?
Posted By: Tatey Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 11th May 2014 7:21am
Originally Posted by BandyCoot

My sentiments entirely.
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
Id take a look at "SOYLENT GREEN " movie my friend.....a future dystopia which is possible....

We'd be tasty to some animals, its all gonna run out one day
you could probably put human dna flesh into a burger and dumb "open and shovel it in, switch off brain" consumers would eat it !
the horse "scandal" was zero surprise to me
my point is, you've never going to stop people eating flesh but we owe it to the animals who ,cause they don't control their own destiny, die daily that theyre treated with respect good handling and a quick easy painless death
if you look at the works of TEMPLE GRANDIN she sorted this out for us
the human race is the ultimate hypocrite.....horrified by be headings in war but if its for food, halal is ok ( as long as we don't see it)
All the crap pumped into animals and the food chain its a wonder we last to even age 75 now days
As shaun monson says in his earthlings speech "they are part of us, a type of ALL life that is multi tudal diverse and bright, as we show them no humanity , we show our lack of humanity , our division by form that we live by, even amongst ourselves as humans, we destroy ourselves as we destroy them but because were distracted and augmented by our own consumption reality we don't notice or care"
We often look down on them thinking were higher but were not, just as savage just as destructive as the animals we don't care about.
Posted By: granny Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 13th May 2014 8:51pm
Sven, what are male dairy cows ?
Posted By: Cobby Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 14th May 2014 11:26am
Granny, male dairy cows is a bit of a misnomer, but is generally used to refer to male calves born to dairy cows. They are not suitable to be grown on for beef, as dairy breeds have been developed over the years to produce lots of milk rather than lots of meat, so inevitably they are taken from the cow at a very young age so that the cow can be milked instead of suckling the calf, and used for veal. Fortunately in the UK there are now very strict regulations as to how veal calves are treated, but again in the US and parts of Europe they can suffer horribly. Google veal crates if you bear some more nasty images.
Very true cobby
CH four recently showed the shooting of the young cause no milk -+ no money
An expendable form of life to humans
There's lots of cruelty in this " animal lover " world
Romanian dogs beaten shot like vermin
Bile collection by the dumb Chinese from caged bears
Beating of and crating of pigs here and Walmart USA
Rhino horn killing, when shot they emit a high pitch squeal
..ironic
Shooting by scummy hunters of Canada polar bears for fun or elephants
Hunting is man's blood lust shame
The cat dog slaughter houses of southern China
List goes on and on.....
Man== the most evil destructive mammal on earth---fact
Posted By: granny Re: Subway removes ham and bacon for Halal meats - 14th May 2014 9:02pm
Originally Posted by Cobby
Granny, male dairy cows is a bit of a misnomer, but is generally used to refer to male calves born to dairy cows. They are not suitable to be grown on for beef, as dairy breeds have been developed over the years to produce lots of milk rather than lots of meat, so inevitably they are taken from the cow at a very young age so that the cow can be milked instead of suckling the calf, and used for veal. Fortunately in the UK there are now very strict regulations as to how veal calves are treated, but again in the US and parts of Europe they can suffer horribly. Google veal crates if you bear some more nasty images.

Thanks Cobby. Used to love veal as a child. Didn't know what it was. Can't watch any more vids for a while. The last one on pigs in South Korea well and truly messed my head for a couple of days. It's still haunting me.
Happy to say, meat (apart from fish) is now off my menu.

Sven there are too many mouths to feed, and when different crops fail, and at times world wide, we have to be fed if possible. There will always be animal slaughter for the food chain and various other reasons. There is nothing to be done to stop it, other than maybe sending messages to other nations about how we abhor their barbaric cruelty and hope they will adjust to more humane ideas. Unfortunately, I think it will be a long, long, time.
Lets not forget, it is this generation who have consumed more meat. When I was young, we had a roast chicken at Easter, A turkey at Christmas, usually a roast beef or lamb dinner on Sunday and the meat lasted nearly all week from the joint. Chicken is like a daily meal in one form or another now, as is minced beef in lasagne, or bolognaise.
Who eats cheese pie instead of sausages, mushroom omlette and chips instead of burgers, baked potatoes and salad instead of sweet and sour chicken, for example.
The previous generation lived through a couple of world wars and were on rations for years, and I don't know how they managed. Bbq's are something which we hadn't heard of until the 1970's.
The only way meat will reduce in production is to make it more expensive until it is once again a luxury for everyone world wide. That or another world war to reduce the population! I know which I'd choose.
I actually wish that pigs could be killed more in line with halal, but not possible as their necks are too fat. The thought of them going into boiling pots alive (article link on the Walmart topic) is more distressing stuff and whoever can over see these dire happenings must in all honesty be desensitized, which in itself is quite worrying.
There's simple easy no cost things people can do. But don't care they'reiinterested in self indulged satisfaction
Don't go to zoos
Buy synthetic clothes
Don't buy leather
Don't go to SeaWorld
Don't buy meat unless you trace it
Reduce your red meat
Don't buy fur in any form
Look into how products are made
Don't have leather in shoes bags cars etc
Think beyond your own consumption
Try soya milk
Give to the smaller less known animal charities
Educate yourself
Watch the cove , blackfish etc
Its easy. If millions do it it simply reduces demand
Or like most switch off open the gob and consume and await ill hhealth

Its a choice. Most don'tcare
Dont go to Zoos?. So all the good work Chester Zoo does with their breeding programs will be lost.
Theres a saying " the only animal that should be in a zoo is the zoo keeper"
Think about why they're actually in there!?
To save their extinction from us and our consuming lifestyles
If man can make a buck off an animal. He will
Kill it skin it breed it shoot it. Cage it. Make £ off it
Even expensive coffee is made through cruelty with civet cats caged and fed a diet purely of beans which isn't correct and they just die due to conditions
If you look into it the fact that breeding has to go on only in zoos is a sign of a bigger ill
Will we be happy when the only way to see bears tigers snow leopards or polar bears will be in a cage !!!??
Think about it......
© Wirral-Wikiwirral