Forums
Posted By: brady Its official...DWP admit 1996 bedroom tax error - 9th Jan 2014 2:26pm
http://speye.wordpress.com/2014/01/...s-have-had-bedroom-tax-imposed-in-error/
So if you have been claiming housing benefit since before 1/1/1996 you don't have to pay it and are due a refund if you have been paying it.
Originally Posted by brady
So if you have been claiming housing benefit since before 1/1/1996 you don't have to pay it and are due a refund if you have been paying it.

How do you pay a tax that doesn't exist?

Nobody pays anything, never have never will.

What has happened is an adjustment has been made to housing benefit claims. I wish people would get this thing clear in their minds.
Lol
Originally Posted by nem12esis

What has happened is an adjustment has been made to housing benefit claims. I wish people would get this thing clear in their minds.

Here is a quote from the announcement
"3.For claimants to come within paragraph 4(1)(a) of Schedule 3 to the Consequential Provisions Regulations, they must have been continuously entitled to HB since at least 1 January 1996 and occupied the same dwelling since that date, save for any period where a fire, flood, explosion or natural catastrophe has rendered the property uninhabitable"

This does not apply to everyone so there is still a "tax" that has to be paid
You are right saying it is not a tax (also known as Spare Room Subsidy) but we all know it really is
The "bedroom tax" label has stuck so lets just say it is a tax
I disagree, it isn't and never will be a tax, there will never be a bill, there is nothing to pay. It is so incredibly simple, for SOCIAL housing tenants ONLY, that is Housing Association and Council Tenants ONLY who get Housing Benefit for whatever reason, will get that benefit based on the amount of people, so a single person will get HB for a 1 bedroomed place, and so on. It's simple.
Posted By: Mark Re: Its official...DWP admit 1996 bedroom tax error - 10th Jan 2014 9:03am
Just seen this.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by mikeeb

Here is a quote from the announcement
"3.For claimants to come within paragraph 4(1)(a) of Schedule 3 to the Consequential Provisions Regulations, they must have been continuously entitled to HB since at least 1 January 1996 and occupied the same dwelling since that date, save for any period where a fire, flood, explosion or natural catastrophe has rendered the property uninhabitable"

This does not apply to everyone so there is still a "tax" that has to be paid
You are right saying it is not a tax (also known as Spare Room Subsidy) but we all know it really is
The "bedroom tax" label has stuck so lets just say it is a tax

No lets not just say it is a tax.
Where does your excerpt say there is a tax to be paid? Nowhere because there is no tax and never will be. Whether or not some prefer to call it a tax is irrelevant. Perhaps next we will all call 'cats' 'dogs' in the hope that it will stick.
Let's just keep real here and stop people worrying about how they will pay their next tax bill (If they do pay income tax that is).
This misnomer has been applied by the left and by the press to make it sound like something nasty. It is just a rebalancing of a particular benefit as it is presently unfair to the taxpayer who subsidises it.
and in the meanwhile..... up to 40 000 people can expect reimbursement due to the sheer incompetence of IDS and the DWP
Like a broken record.
tired
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
Like a broken record.
tired

????
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
and in the meanwhile..... up to 40 000 people can expect reimbursement due to the sheer incompetence of IDS and the DWP

If they are entitled then fair enough.
lets just call it a tax grin
Pleeeeaaaaassssse!
it's true name is under-occupancy penalty, as pointed out it isn't a tax
The definition of 'penalty' ...... think
Spare Room Subsidy
So what if it is not a tax. it is forcing people out of homes they have brought families up in and don't want to leave
Many have been evicted over this and it is not right
In essence the gov have taken what they say is rightfully theirs, just like a tax
Anyway Stop slitting hairs please
Spare Room Subsidy
So what if it is not a tax. it is forcing people out of homes they have brought families up in and don't want to leave
In essence the gov have taken what they say is rightfully theirs, just like a tax

When you say many have been evicted, have these people been evicted for just not paying the under occupancy charge or did they already have rent arrears ?

I've be surprised if a court would evict someone for just the under occupancy charge the arrears wouldn't be high enough to warrant an eviction
Spare Room Subsidy

People have also commited suicide over this too....as for the people that lost there homes, will there be compensation..
Spare Room Subsidy

People have also commited suicide over this too....as for the people that lost there homes, will there be compensation..
I understand that some people who have been evicted will be seeking compensation.
Originally Posted by SilentReader
Spare Room Subsidy

When you say many have been evicted, have these people been evicted for just not paying the under occupancy charge or did they already have rent arrears ?

I've be surprised if a court would evict someone for just the under occupancy charge the arrears wouldn't be high enough to warrant an eviction
There have been evictions for BT arrears alone. Landlords are using Ground 8 and Ground 10. Some landlords have been putting 'the frighteners' on tenants for less than the equivalent of 8 weeks full rent.

At the 25% rate (two bedrooms) a tenant would be clocking up one full week of rent arrears per calender month, so it would only take (I say only) 8 months of non-payment to reach the threshold of 8 weeks of non-payment. As, already stated, some Landlords are trying it on earlier than that.

Of course, those with existing arrears or those who already have a Notice of Seeking Possession are already in a vulnerable posistion... Hope that makes sense.

A punishment imposed for breaking a law, rule, or contract.

I wouldn't call it a penalty.

as for the people that lost there homes, will there be compensation..

The homes aren't theirs though...

Bandycoot is correct, this is like a broken record now.

People are complaining that they're getting less than before for nothing. No sense is being made.

I wonder if anyone here who is campaigning about 'bedroom tax' isn't actually liable?

Ie are the only people who think its unfair those that are being affected?
The whole point is, who is footing the bill for non-payers or late payers? Not the government but we taxpayers.

If you cannot afford to buy a house and rent one, with help towards the rent coming from public funds (the taxpayer), the least one should do is pay it!!!!!!

If you don't pay it what alternative is there other than eviction?

Should pensioners who are receiving less in state pension, that they have paid for over many years, pay to help those on higher incomes (benefits) who refuse to pay their fair share?

I say no, everybody should pay their way in this life unless there are very good reasons why they should receive help and we all know that that in such cases help is always forthcoming. Nobody minds helping genuine disability claimants, but everybody hates helping those who are feckless and idle. In particular most people hate subsidising those who receive housing benefit but fail to use the money received to pay for it and end up in arrears.
[quote=mikeeb]Spare Room Subsidy

It is not forcing people out of their homes all they have to do is pay the requested rent and there won't be a problem. Anybody who does not pay the rent bill is forcing the council or housing organisation to ask them to move elsewhere. Seems fair enough to me.

After all they are receiving financial help from the taxpayers, not the government, so why not just cough up and be content?
Pleeeeaaaaassssse!

No!
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Its official...DWP admit 1996 bedroom tax error - 11th Jan 2014 10:17am

I guess you're referring to this "story":

http://news.sky.com/story/1089813/bedroom-tax-blamed-for-womans-suicide

A story with plenty of holes.

Such as she was disabled but never registered so never applied for any benefits, which would have covered this.

Or, the bungalow she was offered as an alternative was turned down because it was SIX miles away from her friends and family.

Friends and family, including her two children, who couldn't even be bothered to scrape the £20 a week needed to help their mum out.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Its official...DWP admit 1996 bedroom tax erro - 11th Jan 2014 12:30pm
There are hundreds of 'Stephanies'

Re. disability- perhaps she had been to an ATOS Miracle Centre?! Even if she got Disability it should not have to be used [i][/i]to pay rent

Six miles is a long way from support system without a car

Six miles is a long way from support system without a car

Not really, six miles is insignificant if you are being offered a new and more suitable home which you don't have to either buy or rent because it is all provided by the taxpayers who may actually be in receipt of far less than she! Like many pensioners of course!!!

When the referee calls up a foul in the penalty area he awards a penalty. Nothing to do with an under occupancy assessment.
Pleeeeaaaaassssse!

No!

yes
Pleeeeaaaaassssse!

No!

yes
It's what it is going to be remembered as whether people like it or not.Fact. Community Charge, anyone?
t's what it is going to be remembered as whether people like it or not.Fact. Community Charge, anyone?

correct smile

When the referee calls up a foul in the penalty area he awards a penalty. Nothing to do with an under occupancy assessment.
penalty
ˈpɛn(ə)lti/
noun
a punishment imposed for breaking a law, rule, or contract.
"the charge carries a maximum penalty of ten years' imprisonment"
synonyms: punishment, sanction, punitive action, retribution, penance;
(in sports and games) a handicap imposed on a player or team for infringement of rules.
"she only incurred 6.40 penalties for time on cross-country"
a kick or shot awarded to a team because of an infringement of the rules by an opponent.
"a penalty corner"

It is when the official name for Bedroom Tax is 'Spare Room Subsidy Penalty' as someone above quoted.

Re quoting the quote for clarity. smile
Re quoting the quote for clarity. smile

you go girl
Those that shout the loudest...

Or copy and paste the loudest...
Originally Posted by Emeeh
Or copy and paste the loudest...

you need to speak louder
Posted By: Emeeh Re: Its official...DWP admit 1996 bedroom tax error - 11th Jan 2014 10:09pm
No, I'll just keep quiet and pay my taxes!
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Its official...DWP admit 1996 bedroom tax error - 11th Jan 2014 10:29pm

I pay my taxes but do not give people worse off than me a hard time
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Its official...DWP admit 1996 bedroom tax error - 11th Jan 2014 10:31pm
Posted By: Emeeh Re: Its official...DWP admit 1996 bedroom tax error - 11th Jan 2014 11:03pm

I pay my taxes but do not give people worse off than me a hard time

I give some a hard time and happily help others.

I'm not going to bother going into it again as I've made myself clear on many topics already.
Posted By: Emeeh Re: Its official...DWP admit 1996 bedroom tax error - 11th Jan 2014 11:04pm
Posted By: Mark Re: Its official...DWP admit 1996 bedroom tax error - 12th Jan 2014 12:17am
Back On Topic please.
Or it will have to be locked.

Cheers.
too many working class haters
Too many people enjoy being 'victims'.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral