Forums
Posted By: Mark Mark Duggan killing lawful, says jury - 8th Jan 2014 5:41pm
Mark Duggan, whose death sparked riots in England in 2011, was lawfully killed by police, an inquest jury has concluded by a majority of 8 to 2.

The 29-year-old was shot dead by armed officers in August 2011 in Tottenham, north London.

Following the inquest at the Royal Courts of Justice, his aunt Carole Duggan said her nephew had been "executed".

Mr Duggan's brother Shaun Hall said: "We still fight for justice."

There were angry scenes outside the courts, with supporters of Mr Duggan's family chanting "murderers", drowning out a statement by Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley.

'Lethal force'

Source
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Mark Duggan killing lawful, says jury - 8th Jan 2014 5:47pm
Strange verdict considering he was un-armed.
Posted By: granny Re: Mark Duggan killing lawful, says jury - 8th Jan 2014 10:24pm
Are we allowed to pass comments on such things these days?
We just can't be sure can we? I would have thought it very difficult to get enough leverage behind an arm in a cramped car to throw an item 20ft. and over a hedge. i.e. is of course if it was thrown from inside the car.(don't know)

Mark, please remove if comments are not permitted.

Posted By: Dilly Re: Mark Duggan killing lawful, says jury - 8th Jan 2014 10:37pm
For me if he was happy to carry a gun he must have known he may die by one.
Posted By: markjw Re: Mark Duggan killing lawful, says jury - 8th Jan 2014 10:40pm
There are various concerns expressed by commentators regarding the verdict of the jury.

However I fear this will be very similar to the other disputed killings by police over the years.

Not one officer appears to have faced criminal charges for any of the cases over the last few decades.

This does not detract from the fact that the vast majority of police officers do a very good job. Occasionally however situations occur where errors of judgement happen.

As a society I would hope that we always err on the side of not shooting unarmed people dead....
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Mark Duggan killing lawful, says jury - 8th Jan 2014 11:12pm
if they can get away with it they will and they do.

Posted By: Zubee Re: Mark Duggan killing lawful, says jury - 8th Jan 2014 11:12pm
The jury at this inquest voted by a majority of 8 - 2.

This is the British justice system which is considered to be one of the fairest in the world.

I haven't read enough to hold a valid opinion on this trial, the above is just something to consider.
Posted By: dustymclean Re: Mark Duggan killing lawful, says jury - 9th Jan 2014 8:37am
No trial was held, it was an inquest. The decision was made on the evidence it was presented with. I may be wrong but I don,t think an alternative view is presented just raw evidence.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Mark Duggan killing lawful, says jury - 9th Jan 2014 9:26am
It all depends how much you read about the case. If you read just the basic - an unarmed black man was shot - then its easy to get outraged and have hatred for the police.

But read on and you find:

The jury said it was more likely than not that Mr Duggan had thrown a gun from the vehicle just before he was killed. The weapon was found about 20ft (6m) away from the scene.
Was the stop conducted in a location and in a way which minimised, to the greatest extent possible, recourse to lethal force? Unanimous yes.

Did Mr Duggan have the gun with him in the taxi immediately before the stop? Unanimous yes

How did the gun get to the grass area where it was later found? A majority of 9 to 1 said it was thrown.
Posted By: casper Re: Mark Duggan killing lawful, says jury - 9th Jan 2014 9:27am
Difficult decisions are made always when firearms are involved, the verdict was a arrived at based on the sequence of events and police intelligence, fact, a firearm was being carried, armed police were involved, the stage is set for a potential shoot out, whatever happened after the stop is unclear, these things happen in the heat of the moment, he was targeted because of police intelligence which quite rightly identified the carrying of a firearm, a question, would there have been public outrage or riots if the person involved was a suspected terrorist? had that been the case the police would have been commended for their action.
Posted By: venice Re: Mark Duggan killing lawful, says jury - 9th Jan 2014 12:03pm
Duggan was known to the police as a dangerous criminal, and their intelligence proved correct that Duggan had a gun at SOME point during this particular situation . A gun takes a split second to kill someone whether held by a gangster or police officer.
If my husband or son had been the cop facing Duggan , the fuss the Duggan family are making would be nothing to the hell I would raise if my loved one got shot and killed hesitating to be 100% sure of whether their intelligence was absolutely up to date , just because of restrictions put on the police by perfectionist members of the public who unrealistically think police officers should be able to control the violent criminal/gangs in this country without ever making incorrect assumptions during that split second in which its the 'them or me' situation.

Yes it would have been better if Duggan had been winged - but under pressure and in the presence of a known gunman, would the police officer have known whether he was
left or right handed, and in a fast moving situation, accuracy anyway, cant be guaranteed. Life isnt perfect. Im sad Duggan lost his life, but Im glad for the wife and children of the marksman, that HE didnt lose HIS life doing a dangerous job for the community. I dont think the police are always in the right, but I see their side of things in this case, more than Duggans side.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Mark Duggan killing lawful, says jury - 9th Jan 2014 1:45pm
Originally Posted by venice
Duggan was known to the police as a dangerous criminal

But not convicted?

It just seems to be allegations, suspicions and suggestions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Mark_Duggan#Mark_Duggan
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Mark Duggan killing lawful, says jury - 9th Jan 2014 2:36pm
The police officer who shot him V(for vendetta)53 wrote in his statement that Duggan pointed a gun in a sock at him. Which wonders how he knew Duggan (possibly)had had a gun in sock when in fact the only gun in a sock was lying on the other side of a park wall/fence. If V53 had written i thought Duggan had raised a gun at me -I would find that more believeable. I suspect V53 has made his written evidence after speaking with his firearm colleagues whotold him about the gun in a sock.

No DNA of Duggan was found on sock or gun--ok but did they find anyones DNA especially on the sock especially.?

Our opinions are often affected by our perceptions of the police and after Hillsborough and other cases its not always a positive perception.

Taxi driver must have seen Duggan unwind a window and hastily lob a something out of it.What was his testimony?

If Duggan was carrying a gun I have little sympathy for him.

Posted By: organiser Re: Mark Duggan killing lawful, says jury - 9th Jan 2014 4:01pm
I don't know how any of us is qualified to debate this

All the "information" we have comes from edited newspaper reports and attention seeking MPs looking for a fresh platform to stand on in an attempt to raise local profile

The coroners jury took months to evaluate the evidence which was presented to them after which they returned a verdict which included their belief that Duggan was in possession of a gun while he was in the taxi...This information came from the returns of the jury themselves

Consequently who are we to question their decisions when none of us spent a much as a minute at that inquest
Posted By: danjaylai Re: Mark Duggan killing lawful, says jury - 9th Jan 2014 4:58pm
Play with water and you get wet
Play with fire and you get burnt
Act like a big gangster and play with guns - you get shot.

Not happy he died but I have no sympathy for him.
He chose to life his life that way and ultimately it is what caused his death.

Regardless of whether people think it was right or wrong, the question was always -"was he killed lawfully ?" and the answer turned out to be yes. Doesn't matter if you agree with it or not, that's what happened
Posted By: oldpm01 Re: Mark Duggan killing lawful, says jury - 9th Jan 2014 6:55pm
Come on Gibbo - "allegations, suspicions, suggestions". The guy was a know gangster and thug, just because he has never been convicted is a reflection on how these people know the law and their "rights" inside out and also the CPS being reluctant to prosecute without a cast-iron case.

Agree with other comments - and we have only seen very limited bits of information - so I would hope those who have viewed all information have made right choice.

Just hope the wall-to-wall news channels don't give them any more air-time

Posted By: fish5133 Re: Mark Duggan killing lawful, says jury - 9th Jan 2014 7:59pm
Just listened to Bernard Hogan Howe saying we should read the jurors reports completely rather than just take snippets. He then went on to say that the jurors agreed the Duggan exited the vehicle with the gun in his hand. WRONG they said he most likely threw it out the taxi window before the police stopped the vehicle.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral