Forums
Posted By: Nighteyes Royal Mail Scam Emails - 4th Dec 2013 11:30pm
I know this has been covered in the past but I thought with the time of year and with lots of packages and parcels being sent a handy reminder wouldn't be a bad idea.

Emails are being sent out claiming to be Royal Mail and to the less spam savvy eye they look pretty convincing, the links even appear direct you to the Royal Mail site, I received one before and have contacted Royal Mail's customer support about it. Here is the email in question;

Attention: Lost or Missing package‏

Royal.Mail ([email protected])
Attachment
22:55
To: ******
Picture of Royal.Mail
From: Royal.Mail ([email protected]) Microsoft SmartScreen classified this message as junk.
Sent: 04 December 2013 22:55:24
To: ****** (******@hotmail.com)

Attachments: 1 attachment | Download all as zip (62.8 KB)
RoyalMail_Report_IDD6E4599EB0.zip (62.8 KB)

Microsoft SmartScreen has blocked this message for your safety and we'll delete it after ten days.
Show content

Royal Mail

Mail - Lost / Missing package - UK Customs and Border Protection

Royal Mail has detained your package for some reason (for example, lack of a proper invoice, bill of sale, or other documentation, a possible trademark violation, or if the package requires a formal entry) the RM International Mail Branch holding it will notify you of the reason for detention (in writing) and how you can get it released.

Please fulfil the documents attached.

Home | A-Z of Services | Help & support | Business help & support | Contact us | Mailing tools | Jobs
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Royal Mail Scam Emails - 5th Dec 2013 12:25am
Not Royal Mail but I recieved a dodgy e-mail that appeared to have come from a facebook friend.

Here is the main body of it.

Hope you get this on time, sorry I didn't inform you about my trip to the Donetsk, Ukraine for a program, I'm having some difficulties here because I misplaced my wallet on my way to the hotel were my money and cellphone were kept. Presently my passport and my things are been held down by the hotel management pending when I make payment.
I need you to help me with a loan of 2,300 (GBP) to pay my hotel bills and get myself back home. I've been to the embassy and Police, but they are not responding to the matter effectively,I'll appreciate whatever you can afford to assist me with, I promise to refund you back your money as soon as I return, let me know if you can be of any help?. I don't have a phone where I can be reached. I am so confused right now.
Please let me know immediately.

Posted By: Nighteyes Re: Royal Mail Scam Emails - 5th Dec 2013 1:22am
there's reports on CNN today saying millions of Facebook, Gmail, Twitter ect accounts have been key logged, seems to me maybe the two are related
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Royal Mail Scam Emails - 5th Dec 2013 10:18am
There's a few Amazon ones too, but they were captured and dumped in my Spam folder on Yahoo.
Posted By: Nighteyes Re: Royal Mail Scam Emails - 5th Dec 2013 7:34pm
Reply off Royal Mail:-

Dear *** ******

Thanks for your email

I can confirm that the email you have received is a SPAM email and has not been sent from or have any affiliation to Royal Mail Group.

We are aware that there have been a number of malicious / spam emails sent to various business and private email addresses. The email has been designed by the sender to look as though it has been sent from Royal Mail - it has not - and is a common technique among spammers / fraudsters to make the email appear genuine and encourage the recipient to open it.

Royal Mail does not send unsolicited emails to customers regarding undeliverable items of mail. If we are unable to deliver an item of mail we will always leave a 'Something for you' card, which explains how to arrange a redelivery or where to collect the item.

We have reported the matter to our Security Team and provided them with the details of what you have received. They will continue to investigate the matter and we would advise that you do not respond to the email or open any attachments. Additionally it's likely that you may receive further SPAM emails like this, however we do not require you to bring any more to our attention, simply delete them or report them as 'Junk' in your email. For further information regarding SPAM or scam mail please visit our dedicated page on our website.

You do not need to contact us any further regarding this but I'd like to thank you for taking the time to let me know.

Kind Regards

Victoria Grundy

Royal Mail Customer Services
© Wirral-Wikiwirral