Forums
Posted By: MarkJarvis Obese people on planes - 29th Sep 2013 8:21am
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ick-Obese-people-SHOULD-pay-flights.html

With space & weight both critical to cost, should everyone be weighed with their baggage at check in?
Posted By: Zubee Re: Obese people on planes - 29th Sep 2013 10:13am
Never thought I'd agree with Samantha Brick on anything, but in this case I think she's right.
Posted By: MarkJarvis Re: Obese people on planes - 29th Sep 2013 10:14am
Tend to agree.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Obese people on planes - 29th Sep 2013 11:21am
When you send a parcel by post, you pay according to the weight: sounds reasonable to me.
Posted By: yewgarth Re: Obese people on planes - 29th Sep 2013 4:26pm
it could be worse!

Attached picture 954808_10151688531164503_1497681912_n.jpg
Posted By: j_demo Re: Obese people on planes - 29th Sep 2013 6:40pm
in theory it makes sense

but delve deeper and (SOME) people will be going on extreme diets on the verge of eating disorders & physical illness to save a couple of quid on air fares.

i agree in principle, but delve a little deeper and it's a bad thing in my opinion.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Obese people on planes - 29th Sep 2013 7:18pm
Source is the Daily Fail....not even going to click the link snob

Posted By: MarkJarvis Re: Obese people on planes - 29th Sep 2013 7:22pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX

Happily sell a story to them though...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-63026/I-caught-heart-attack-26.html

Posted By: j_demo Re: Obese people on planes - 29th Sep 2013 7:34pm
Originally Posted by MarkJarvis
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX

Happily sell a story to them though...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-63026/I-caught-heart-attack-26.html

bit of a personal dig that isn't it?

was it warrented?
Posted By: MarkJarvis Re: Obese people on planes - 29th Sep 2013 7:35pm
Hypocrisy at its best actually.
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Obese people on planes - 29th Sep 2013 8:14pm
Originally Posted by j_demo
in theory it makes sense

but delve deeper and (SOME) people will be going on extreme diets on the verge of eating disorders & physical illness to save a couple of quid on air fares.

i agree in principle, but delve a little deeper and it's a bad thing in my opinion.

yeah, like some 25 stone pie eater is going to make themselves puke and puke to save money on the cost of a plane ticket laugh
Posted By: Raven61 Re: Obese people on planes - 29th Sep 2013 8:53pm
Should someone who is 5'-2" pay the same as someone who is 6'-4" as with less leg room the airlines could fit in more seats.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Obese people on planes - 29th Sep 2013 8:55pm
Thanks for raising awareness of www.bhf.org and www.cardiomhopathy.org
.uk
I never thought an interview I did 13 years ago for free for Shine magazine and subsequently passed on to other publications would still be raising awareness. Cheers
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Obese people on planes - 29th Sep 2013 9:30pm
www.cardiomyopathy.org

Duh.lol
Posted By: _Billy_ Re: Obese people on planes - 29th Sep 2013 10:02pm
Originally Posted by MarkJarvis
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ick-Obese-people-SHOULD-pay-flights.html

With space & weight both critical to cost, should everyone be weighed with their baggage at check in?

I think all fat people should pay for two seats, who would want to sit on a plane next to a fat person.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Obese people on planes - 29th Sep 2013 10:50pm
It's an interesting concept, but completely unworkable.

Ok, I have a medical condition (layzeebarstewarditis) and because of that I have to take medication which affects my metabolism and causes a slow, but steady and ever increasing, weight gain.
Should I be charged more for my illness ?

TeamUK are off to the next major sporting event, should the weight lifters pay more than the gymnasts ? (Their build and weight being a prerequisite of their job).

Holidays are booked and cheaper tickets are available, months in advance, do you pay based on your weight then or on arrival ?

Will there be an "average" weight and you pay more if you're above this, and get a discount if you're less ?

Will there be a positive discrimination policy towards persons of restricted growth ?

Some people are tall, some are short, we have scrawny and we have heavyweight. In every other walk of life the environment is adapted to suit the person.

Basically we've outlawed discrimination. Everybody is the same no matter what gender, age, colour, race, religion, sexuality, none of it matters, so we're trying to invent a new group to pick on.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Obese people on planes - 29th Sep 2013 10:58pm
Anyone appearing to be 'smug' should pay double.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Obese people on planes - 29th Sep 2013 11:11pm
Originally Posted by Moonstar
Anyone appearing to be 'smug' should pay double.

British English: smug If you say that someone is smug, you are criticizing the fact they seem very pleased with how good, clever, or fortunate they are.They looked at each other in smug satisfaction.smʌɡ ADJECTIVE

So if TeamUK win any medals at the sporting event they should pay more on the way back flex
Posted By: guitarlad21 Re: Obese people on planes - 29th Sep 2013 11:51pm
Originally Posted by Zubee
Never thought I'd agree with Samantha Brick on anything, but in this case I think she's right.
I tend to agree with this.
Posted By: bigpete Re: Obese people on planes - 30th Sep 2013 2:41pm
You won't get me looking at the Daily beast, but interest where would thickie as a brickie (no offence to bricklayers - just wanted it to rhyme !!) draw the line, i.e. can you be pregnant ? - but not with twins ?, over 6"4 with a 54" Chest but not 'fat' (but consequently pretty heavy and wide (like me))..?, would she make kids sit 2 to a seat ?

She is a prize twit without the brainpower to have a considered thought.....
Posted By: j_demo Re: Obese people on planes - 30th Sep 2013 5:14pm
Originally Posted by TheDr
It's an interesting concept, but completely unworkable.

Ok, I have a medical condition (layzeebarstewarditis) and because of that I have to take medication which affects my metabolism and causes a slow, but steady and ever increasing, weight gain.

TeamUK are off to the next major sporting event, should the weight lifters pay more than the gymnasts ? (Their build and weight being a prerequisite of their job).

Holidays are booked and cheaper tickets are available, months in advance, do you pay based on your weight then or on arrival ?

Will there be an "average" weight and you pay more if you're above this, and get a discount if you're less ?

Will there be a positive discrimination policy towards persons of restricted growth ?

Some people are tall, some are short, we have scrawny and we have heavyweight. In every other walk of life the environment is adapted to suit the person.

Basically we've outlawed discrimination. Everybody is the same no matter what gender, age, colour, race, religion, sexuality, none of it matters, so we're trying to invent a new group to pick on.

amen
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Obese people on planes - 30th Sep 2013 5:36pm
Instead of say "Your fat pay more" maybe a fairer way is that their is a standard price + weight. Weight includes luggage + size all as one and is done privately.

Personally I say it's fine as it is, ok I have never flown but surely the average is the same as society and I know someone 6'4" and probs about 18 stone, I also know someone about 5'2" and probs about 8 stone so if they flew together they would be average?
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Obese people on planes - 30th Sep 2013 5:41pm
Really Doc! Surely you know that I meant that sort of sneery smugness that some 'holier than thou' folks display from time to time. Live and let live.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Obese people on planes - 30th Sep 2013 5:55pm
Originally Posted by Moonstar
Really Doc! Surely you know that I meant that sort of sneery smugness that some 'holier than thou' folks display from time to time. Live and let live.

I'd realised that, and hoped that my cheery little gif at the end would show how tongue in cheek my reply was shifty
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Obese people on planes - 30th Sep 2013 7:35pm
You little devil you. devil
Posted By: Blueskier Re: Obese people on planes - 30th Sep 2013 8:46pm
My take on this. Six years ago flying with my barely 2 year old who was 3 months prem so even at 2 was tiny. We had to pay full fare. She was too old to sit on our knee according to rules so had to have a seat allocated even though it wasnt used. Seen some kids under 2 that are massive but due to some arbitrary thing like d.o.b.it must be followed.
Thems is the rules.
Posted By: _Billy_ Re: Obese people on planes - 30th Sep 2013 10:30pm

I'm yet to meet a fat person who doesn't stuff there face with junk food.
Posted By: Wench Re: Obese people on planes - 1st Oct 2013 1:31am
Originally Posted by _Billy_

I am overweight and don't eat junk food hi All I can eat is steamed fish, steamed chicken, rice, steamed veg and some salad items. I can no longer tolerate milk or yoghurt so have to have soya milk. Can't eat anything with spices in, anything cooked in/with oil, any citrus fruit, onions, eggs, tomatoes, radish, the list goes on.

Kind of shoots your theory about junk food out of the window. Sorry*.

*not really.

Sorry** if giving myself as an example pisses some off.

**not really.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Obese people on planes - 1st Oct 2013 9:35am
Rock on Wench - you're a wonder.
Posted By: Wench Re: Obese people on planes - 1st Oct 2013 11:41am
Not really Moonstar - just unlucky to have a disease that restricts what I eat & at some point in the future, could become malignant. I'd rather be able to stuff my face to be honest wink
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Obese people on planes - 1st Oct 2013 12:16pm
Of course you would - but you do so well Wench on such a restricted diet. I am full of admiration of anyone with a difficult row to hoe.
Posted By: _Billy_ Re: Obese people on planes - 1st Oct 2013 2:07pm
Originally Posted by Wench
Originally Posted by _Billy_

I am overweight and don't eat junk food hi All I can eat is steamed fish, steamed chicken, rice, steamed veg and some salad items. I can no longer tolerate milk or yoghurt so have to have soya milk. Can't eat anything with spices in, anything cooked in/with oil, any citrus fruit, onions, eggs, tomatoes, radish, the list goes on.

*not really.

Sorry** if giving myself as an example pisses some off.

**not really.

No, not really Wench, I've never met you. grin
Posted By: Uffda Re: Obese people on planes - 2nd Oct 2013 8:43am
A couple of years ago I was on an eight hour flight home and was seated next to an obese woman. It meant I was squashed right up against the window and was very uncomfortable. Not wanting to humiliate the woman but aggrieved that I had paid for a full seat but not allowed to make use of it all, I approached the stewardess and discreetly asked if there was another seat available. Luckily there was and I could move but if the flight had been full I would have only had half a seat.
Yes, larger people have rights and should not be weighed in with the luggage but it's not fair to take one and a half seats, causing someone next to you to have paid the same amount but to be squashed into the window.
Posted By: bigpete Re: Obese people on planes - 3rd Oct 2013 12:39pm
Billy FYI 'steamed fish, steamed chicken, rice, steamed veg and some salad items' are not classically junk food items. ;-)

I hope you are on a strict diet - not one of those holier than thou types - who are naturally skinny and can eat shedloads of c*ap without putting on weight.

On the matter of diet I have yet to meet a skinny person (without a medical condition) who is not faddy about food - my skinny brother-in-law eats no vegetable or fruit for instance.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Obese people on planes - 3rd Oct 2013 12:57pm
Originally Posted by bigpete
Billy FYI 'steamed fish, steamed chicken, rice, steamed veg and some salad items' are not classically junk food items. ;-)

I thought the same when I ready Billy's comments and was trying to work out why he was being so insulting. Then realised he was extremely tongue in cheek and taking his own comment literally, and to the letter.

"He has never MET a fat person who didn't stuff themselves with junk food...."

and he hasn't MET Wench, so technically his comment could be correct.

As an aside, I HAVE met Wench, and I would consider her to be of normal size, not skinny, not a heffalump....picky eater thou seeyu
Posted By: svenlock68 Re: Obese people on planes - 3rd Oct 2013 6:21pm
Just like americans were all getting fatter because inherently people are lazy and want food quick/don't want to cook, cheap right here and now.
If you look at how things have changed, peoples heads down in the phone, or stuffing junk or pasties in their fat feeding mouths with the brain switched off....the dumb look on their faces as they eat.
Weve turned into a selfish insular consuming at all cost mass, people would never eat in the street years ago. cheap food is usually junk fat sugar processed etc
Its a funny irony that we love tv chefs and buy their books/watch their tv progs but in reality we actually eat complete crap.
If you go into a generic shopping centre all you see in the uk is people who look like the missing link wandering like bored skittles farting round shops with prams ,a sausage roll, traky, shouting on their phone, stereo typical tattoos and stupid red hair, rolls of fat etc etc.
Humans never take responsibility for their own body....if youre fat or smoking like a chimney or on drink/drugs....ITS YOUR CHOICE AND FAULT.....im amazed how peoples bodies put up with the abuse, its amazing the human body.
If you get ill or die from them, guess whos fault it is then too !?........its not "an addiction" as so many moan ......ITS YOUR CHOICE.....accept the consequences!!
Posted By: Wench Re: Obese people on planes - 3rd Oct 2013 7:33pm
As an aside, I HAVE met Wench, and I would consider her to be of normal size, not skinny, not a heffalump....picky eater thou seeyu

2st 2lb lighter than when I last saw you wink Not a picky eater, picky about where I sleep. If I stray from the boring stuff I have to eat, I end up in APH. I don't like sharing my bed/bedroom raftl
Posted By: TheDr Re: Obese people on planes - 3rd Oct 2013 11:21pm
Originally Posted by Wench

2st 2lb lighter than when I last saw you wink Not a picky eater, picky about where I sleep. If I stray from the boring stuff I have to eat, I end up in APH. I don't like sharing my bed/bedroom raftl

So, just to recap:

You don't like sharing YOUR bedroom
You like control over your sleeping arrangements.
You've never slept whenever we've met
Something you're now doing is burning up stored energy (losing weight).

Have I covered everything there ?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral