Forums
Posted By: Willo_ Police get new powers under road traffic act - 16th Aug 2013 9:05am
New traffic legislation comes into force today which will give police powers to dish out instant fine for tailgaters and middle lane hoggers
It is hoped that fines of £100 pus three points the driving licence will act as a deterrent as well as making it easier for the police to tackle what are sadly becoming everyday problems without taking offenders to court.

Under the new legislation fines for other offences, from using hand-held mobile phones or not wearing a seatbelt, to driving without insurance, have also been increased – from £60 to £100 and from £200 to £300 respectively.

A spokesperson for the Department of Transport said, “The police will also be able to offer educational training as an alternative to licence endorsement, and drivers will still be able to appeal any decision in court.”
I didn't see any difference on the way to Sheffield this morning.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Police get new powers under road traffic act - 16th Aug 2013 9:41am
The increase in fines for using a mobile whilst driving is pathetic. Should be £500 minimum + 9 points. Using a hand held mobile whilst driving KILLS. Trying to tell that to the arrogant and the ignorant is another matter!

I had the pleasure of a Neanderthal no-mark in a white tranny van within half a vehicles length of me yesterday. Doing 30mph in a 30mph area trying to make me go faster. Guess what... he was on his bloody phone for the whole time. WHERE ARE THE POLICE when you need them?? mad
Posted By: Mark Re: Police get new powers under road traffic act - 16th Aug 2013 10:20am
One Source Click me
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Police get new powers under road traffic act - 16th Aug 2013 10:23am
Using hand-held mobile phones & driving while not insured should entail a Ban for 3 years. Simple. hammer
Posted By: ASE71 Re: Police get new powers under road traffic act - 16th Aug 2013 7:34pm
I went up and down the M53 to Chester and back 4 times today and was amazed to see so many people using the inside lane. The flow speed on the inside lane was 70mph, it was nice to see. middle lane hoggers are idiots and deserve a fine.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Police get new powers under road traffic act - 17th Aug 2013 6:49am
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
The increase in fines for using a mobile whilst driving is pathetic. Should be £500 minimum + 9 points. Using a hand held mobile whilst driving KILLS. Trying to tell that to the arrogant and the ignorant is another matter!

I had the pleasure of a Neanderthal no-mark in a white tranny van within half a vehicles length of me yesterday. Doing 30mph in a 30mph area trying to make me go faster. Guess what... he was on his bloody phone for the whole time. WHERE ARE THE POLICE when you need them?? mad

Pinz, Could your rear gunner not have got him?
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Police get new powers under road traffic act - 18th Aug 2013 10:34pm
define middle lane hogging
Posted By: Santos Re: Police get new powers under road traffic act - 19th Aug 2013 9:02am
Middle lane hogger = someone going under 70 mph in the middle lane whilst there is space in the inside lane and forcing drivers driving at 70 mph to use the outside lane. Middle lane hogging slows the whole motorway down and makes drivers wanting to drive up to the speed limit take chances they should not have to take.
Not just 70mph, any speed on any road with more than 1 lane. It's causing an obstruction to other drivers, making them brake for no reason other than the middle lane hogger is selfish, clueless of what they are doing and shouldn't be on the road if they can't see what they are doing.

Yesterday I came across yet another hogger on the new ferry bypass. She was in the outside lane, when the inside lane was vehicle free. I was in the inside lane doing 50mph, I came upto her and pulled out into the outside lane to see if she understood that she needs to move over or i'd have had to undertake her. She stayed in the outside lane doing 40mph oblivious to what she was doing!

Other cars started under taking her and taking dangerous actions because she doesn't know how to drive. That would be middle lane hogging. They are dangerous.
Posted By: Mark Re: Police get new powers under road traffic act - 19th Aug 2013 10:55am
Lane 1,2,3 or the faster lanes are defined in the highway code as Overtaking lanes only. So if there is nothing to overtake move to the left smile
Posted By: Helles Re: Police get new powers under road traffic act - 19th Aug 2013 9:11pm
Phone users and tail gaters give them hell but I can forsee a lot of problems if they start ticketing so called middle lane hoggers.

I pull out into the middle lane to overtake a slow lorry and see another one half a mile ahead, I am going to stay in that lane rather than weave in and out every couple of seconds. As any experienced driver knows, half a mile on a motorway is nothing in respect of time. As I will be doing at least 70mph, anyone who wants to go faster and break the law can use the third lane. Their choice!

I also think that so many drivers will be afraid to come into the middle lane for fear of being done that the inside lane will become clogged and even if you overtake, it will be hard to get back in.

It would have been better had they targetted those idiots who come roaring up the third lane and then cut right across the two other lanes to exit at a junction. I see it all the time.

By all means do those who sit there when the inside is empty but if a copper is bored and doesn't like the look of you or needs to get his numbers up then justice will not be served.
Originally Posted by fish5133
define middle lane hogging

It seems to suggest to me a period of time and/or distance rather than just speed. But has that time been defined legally or is it just up to the police to arbitarily decide---in which case you can see a potential abuse of power.
1/4 mile ? 1/2 mile? 3/4 mile? 1 mile?. Will be interesting to see if the accident rates go up, down or what.
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Police get new powers under road traffic act - 19th Aug 2013 10:21pm
not sure what all the fuss is about, how often do you see a police car on the motorway anyway?

also middle lane morons don't even realise what they are doing anyway joyride

Originally Posted by Helles

I pull out into the middle lane to overtake a slow lorry and see another one half a mile ahead, I am going to stay in that lane rather than weave in and out every couple of seconds.

half a mile is just under 30 seconds, so plenty of time to pull back in and then pull back out to overtake again.
Posted By: Helles Re: Police get new powers under road traffic act - 19th Aug 2013 10:29pm
Originally Posted by mrhanky
not sure what all the fuss is about, how often do you see a police car on the motorway anyway?

also middle lane morons don't even realise what they are doing anyway joyride

I pull out into the middle lane to overtake a slow lorry and see another one half a mile ahead, I am going to stay in that lane rather than weave in and out every couple of seconds.

half a mile is just under 30 seconds, so plenty of time to pull back in and then pull back out to overtake again.

Okay, you do that, I'll stay out rather than cause chaos by weaving in and out!
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Police get new powers under road traffic act - 19th Aug 2013 11:30pm

Okay, you do that, I'll stay out rather than cause chaos by weaving in and out!

i don't really do that anyway, i sit in the fast lane, or on four lane motorways, the very fast lane, the middle lane is for morons and the inside lane is just for paupers!!!!!!! unless you're a wagon driver and then it's the lane you're pretty much stuck in because of stupid speed limiters!!
Ok, so loosely speaking..
Those with no money in the slow lane and
those with no brains on the middle lane
So how would you describe those in the fast lane?
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Police get new powers under road traffic act - 19th Aug 2013 11:48pm
Originally Posted by ZipperClub

So how would you describe those in the fast lane?

in my bloody way!!!!!!!!
lol
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Police get new powers under road traffic act - 19th Aug 2013 11:53pm
wink
Helles if you cause chaos on a motorway by pulling back into the inside lane for 30 seconds then may I respectfully suggest you hand your driving license back please?

MLM's are both ignorant and pathetic.

I hear all sorts...

Inside lane = lorry lane
Middle lane = cruising lane
Outside lane = fast line

etc

NO!

What side do we drive on in this country?

THE LEFT

KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING

Pulling back in after you pass the lorry means the person behind can pass you if they so wish without having to go out into the 3rd lane, potentially holding someone else up.

Your selfish and deliberate actions are simply making a 3 lane motorway into a 2 lane dual carriageway and I hope you're one of the first to be caught under these new rules.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Police get new powers under road traffic act - 21st Aug 2013 1:57pm
Its quite amusing because before the change there was a poll on what motorists found the most irritating and the most popular answer was middle laners.

Now its in force people are moaning that its unenforceable and liable to misinterpretation.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral