Forums
Posted By: RUDEBOX Paupers Funerals - 15th Jul 2013 11:56pm
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/paupers-funerals-rise-liverpool-4800368

Posted By: Helles Re: Paupers Funerals - 16th Jul 2013 12:37pm
We will have workhouses back next!!
Posted By: Mark Re: Paupers Funerals - 16th Jul 2013 3:21pm
So sad.
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Paupers Funerals - 16th Jul 2013 5:11pm
Originally Posted by 19FRANK40

At 'council's expense' means 'paid for by taxpayers' who will also have to pay for their own funerals. Let's get this into perspective, does the poor oppressed council taxpayer have to foot the bill for everybody who has not bothered to save up for anything at all?

How can the majority save in this recession .... have you lost the plot! altogether!

The people look after the people and am sure if you asked most of em they wouldn't mind at all.

So let the tax payer foot the bill and we`ll keep toppin up your pension and "god forbid" other care you may need later on.
Posted By: valli Re: Paupers Funerals - 16th Jul 2013 5:19pm
Originally Posted by Vanmanone
Originally Posted by 19FRANK40

At 'council's expense' means 'paid for by taxpayers' who will also have to pay for their own funerals. Let's get this into perspective, does the poor oppressed council taxpayer have to foot the bill for everybody who has not bothered to save up for anything at all?

How can the majority save in this recession have you lost the plot! altogether!

The people look after the people and am sure if you asked most of em they wouldn't mind at all.

So let the tax payer foot the bill and we`ll keep toppin up your pension and "god forbid" other care you may need later on.
Well said Vanmanone
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Paupers Funerals - 16th Jul 2013 6:03pm

Sorry if I have strayed a bit off topic here
I bet the government keeps more money from when people who have worked and paid their stamps and died before they can claim their pensions. Couldn't their burial expenses be taken out of their contributions?
Just think how much is saved by not having to pay any future pensions or benefits to the deceased
I'm sure burials could be done a lot cheaper than the traditional undertakers charge.
Apart from "bury me in a cardboard box at the bottom of the garden"
any other suggestions on a cheap funeral?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Paupers Funerals - 16th Jul 2013 6:11pm
Remember a thread on here somewhere Derek about 'reinforced cardboard coffins?'
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Paupers Funerals - 16th Jul 2013 6:13pm
http://www.coffincompany.co.uk/cardboard-coffin
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Paupers Funerals - 16th Jul 2013 6:41pm
Why stop there!When they could just pile them high,then sling them in a skip.
Am sure it would only take a few months for the Government to push it through.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Paupers Funerals - 16th Jul 2013 6:50pm
Originally Posted by Vanmanone
Why stop there!When they could just pile them high,then sling them in a skip.
Am sure it would only take a few months for the Government to push it through.
Don't be giving them ideas!!
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Paupers Funerals - 17th Jul 2013 8:36am
Yes stop Labour ideas for the next time they leave a note stating "The money has all gone." [/quote]

I wish you'd stop quoting that. Although it may have been true ,I think it was written as a joke between one outgoing minister to the new one which the new gov were quick to blow up out of proportion, getting their excuses prepared in advance for their failures.
Is not Quantitive Easing using money that they'll eventually have to find in the real world (oh maybe through selling off and privatising everything they can get away with just as Mrs Thatcher did)
Posted By: Pablo Re: Paupers Funerals - 17th Jul 2013 9:14am
It's sad but why should other people pay
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Paupers Funerals - 17th Jul 2013 9:19am
Margaret Thatcher must have been one of the luckiest Prime Ministers we've had.
She came in when North Sea oil was really starting to provide loads of money and as if that was not enough for her to spend, then proceeded to privatise vital assets.
How much better off would the average person be if we still had control of our sold off utilities (if properly managed) and the vast profits now made put back into the public purse

Do you or do you not agree that privatisation is driven by profit above all else?

Answer as you may but this is getting off topic and debating politics is one of those topics that rarely changes the other persons views.
I'm sticking to the topic now
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Paupers Funerals - 17th Jul 2013 9:22am
Did paupers graves once have to be in a certain section of a graveyard or cemetery or generally mixed in with ordinary burials?
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Paupers Funerals - 17th Jul 2013 9:49am
Originally Posted by derekdwc
Did paupers graves once have to be in a certain section of a graveyard or cemetery or generally mixed in with ordinary burials?

Would there have been grave markers ages ago and today to name the persons interred.
I presume a grave could be opened to put another pauper in.
Just read online in one American state some were 6 coffins deep during the Great Depression.
Posted By: granny Re: Paupers Funerals - 17th Jul 2013 10:18am
Maybe we should suggest funeral pyres. Fill the Leeds to Liverpool with piranhas and float us down there. Go to Northumberland and you can have a funeral pyre in the open courtyside.Hindu style. Cut out the middle man!

In all seriousness, how much does it cost to supply a cardboard box and dig a hole? Maybe that will be the next move. DIY funerals.
If people are unable to bury their dead, it's a sad shame if we can't accept the idea of contributing to help someones grief.
Paupers, I always understood had no traceable relatives. If we didn't have to be buried or cremated by law, I suppose there could be a different arguement.
As Vanmanone says, who can save £3,000 towards their own funeral these days? Probably £6000 needed in another 10 years. Another rip-off by the funeral directors etc., but a job for life !
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Paupers Funerals - 17th Jul 2013 11:10am
Hi Granny. It is far more expensive to have a cardboard coffin than a cheap wooden one. The cardboard ones have to be reinforced due to the weight of the body and not leak!
People who want a 'green funeral' can opt for a willow casket instead.

The 'Pauper' section at Rake Lane was reached by going through the main gate and turning left to half way along the path leading to Seaview Road.
We often went there as young children to pick blackberries. I don't think you would let your children go to such an isolated place these days.
We felt sad for all those who might have died alone with no family, but being young did not think finances. Felt as though we were keeping them company and prayed they were resting in peace
Posted By: granny Re: Paupers Funerals - 17th Jul 2013 11:29am
Didn't know that cardboard was more expensive Pax.
In that case, maybe we should all plant a willow tree or two and harvest our own coffin. raftl
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Paupers Funerals - 17th Jul 2013 12:11pm
Money Saving Expert had a thread on this subject - thankfully it is quite lighthearted.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=679871&page=1
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Paupers Funerals - 17th Jul 2013 2:49pm
Even better, join a Union and get Free Accidental Death Cover. grin
Posted By: bert1 Re: Paupers Funerals - 18th Jul 2013 6:46am
I hope Frank can afford the very large casket he's going to need to accommodate the huge Chip on his Shoulder.
Posted By: tankrat22 Re: Paupers Funerals - 18th Jul 2013 7:42am
Dead right Bert1(pardon the pun),Frank comes out with the same old mantra as David Cameron on P.M.Q's every Wednesday,blaming the Unions for everything,Ithink it's time to give it a rest Frank.Well Bert1, a 'huge chip' ? more like a 25kg sack of King Edward potatoes.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Paupers Funerals - 18th Jul 2013 1:14pm
So sad.
Posted By: Bennie Re: Paupers Funerals - 18th Jul 2013 10:20pm
The tories didn't get enough votes to win an election which is why we are saddled with an unelected coalition and oh the price we are paying.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Paupers Funerals - 19th Jul 2013 8:13am
My old man wanted a cardboard one when he went but the undertaker told him they were more expensive. "Ok, I'll have a wooden one," said Father,"but no handles." Once I'm gone I personally don't give a shoit what happens but I've got it covered whatever the folks want, no hymns though.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Paupers Funerals - 19th Jul 2013 10:22am
Originally Posted by Bennie
The tories didn't get enough votes to win an election which is why we are saddled with an unelected coalition and oh the price we are paying.

No worse than Gordon Brown the unelected PM.
Posted By: dool4lit4tle Re: Paupers Funerals - 21st Jul 2013 11:56am
each political party are so intent on blaming each other for the state of the country, that nothing ever seem's to get resolved, why not get on with the job and come up with something original ie give up a holiday or two, take a small cut in salary, try and cut down on spending, move to a smaller house,sell a holiday home.
Posted By: dool4lit4tle Re: Paupers Funerals - 21st Jul 2013 12:18pm

who paid for Margaret Thatchers funeral
Posted By: granny Re: Paupers Funerals - 22nd Jul 2013 10:35am
Originally Posted by Gibbo
Originally Posted by Bennie

No worse than Gordon Brown the unelected PM.

Maggie didn't cock up in quite the same way. She brought the money into the coutry, our Gordon gave it away.
I think we paid the price for Gordon's many mistakes.One of which..

quote re:fact
Between 1999 and 2002 Brown sold 60% of the UK's gold reserves shortly before gold entered a protracted bull market, since nicknamed by dealers as Brown Bottom.The official reason for selling the gold reserves was to reduce the portfolio risk of the UK's reserves by diversifying away from gold. The UK eventually sold about 395 tons of gold over 17 auctions from July 1999 to March 2002, at an average price of about US$275 per ounce, raising approximately US$3.5 billion. By 2011, that quantity of gold would be worth over $19 billion, leading to Brown's decision to sell the gold being widely criticised. unquote
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Paupers Funerals - 22nd Jul 2013 11:27am
This is all waaaaay Off Topic.
Posted By: moretonjeffo Re: Paupers Funerals - 22nd Jul 2013 1:43pm
you don't elect prime ministers you elect parties and as the leader of a labour party unanimously voted in by the public he had the right to be there unlike the present situation
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Paupers Funerals - 22nd Jul 2013 2:22pm
But would you be saying the same if the Lib Dems had agreed to Labour's request for a coalition?
Posted By: moretonjeffo Re: Paupers Funerals - 22nd Jul 2013 3:06pm
yes I would your mistaking me for a labour supporter when im not a fan of any of the 3 main parties they are all the same they look out for themselves and no one else
Posted By: dool4lit4tle Re: Paupers Funerals - 24th Jul 2013 3:14pm
I cannot understand, why he should have, from what I see on his profile he has his fair share of luxuries, and why not? he's probably worked hard for them, so why not just be happy, and let people who have a gripe do the moaning.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral