Forums
Posted By: Bizzybee1 An absolute disgrace - 27th Jun 2013 11:36am
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23082296
Posted By: TheComebackKid Re: An absolute disgrace - 27th Jun 2013 11:47am
Makes one want to SPIT doesn't it ?!?!

Brian
Posted By: TheDr Re: An absolute disgrace - 27th Jun 2013 11:56am
Hang on, how is this a disgrace, or am I reading it wrong.

The grant paid to the monarchy is calculated as 15% of money paid by the Crown Estate to the government.

The estate, which includes property across the UK, increased its profits by 5% to £252.6m in 2012/13.

Okay so the money paid BACK to the Monarchy is 15% of the money paid BY them for property THEY own.

The increase in money paid TO the government is 5% (of the total amount) whilst the increase paid BACK is (less than) 3% (of the 15% returned) to me that means an INCREASE in the amount paid BY the Monarchy TO the Government of over 4.5%, an actual Monarchy increase of less than 0.5%

Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: An absolute disgrace - 27th Jun 2013 1:39pm
Come on Dr, we are trying to get angry here!! Leave us to it.
Posted By: Santos Re: An absolute disgrace - 27th Jun 2013 3:42pm
Rather have a Monarchy than a Dictator - you are just getting angry over something for nothing and needlessly stirring it, Dr's figures are true and speak for themselves.
Posted By: Bobario Re: An absolute disgrace - 27th Jun 2013 6:32pm
The whole debate rests on whether the Crown Estates actually own or should be allowed to own land stolen from the population hundreds of years ago. If we take back the monarchs land and return it to the people, then we still get the money raised by the Crown Estates, plus save the £13 odd million it costs to keep the monarchy. Plus, most of the Queen/Royals money comes from ordinary people paying rent for land and property that should rightfully belong to the country but doesn't.

I actually believe we should keep the monarchy, but the whole "Queen actually pays US more than we pay HER" debate drives me up the wall.
Posted By: Zubee Re: An absolute disgrace - 27th Jun 2013 8:11pm
Originally Posted by Bobario
The whole debate rests on whether the Crown Estates actually own or should be allowed to own land stolen from the population hundreds of years ago.

Wow, you can sure hold a grudge raftl
Posted By: granny Re: An absolute disgrace - 28th Jun 2013 12:06am
The whole debate rests on whether the Crown Estates actually own or should be allowed to own land stolen from the population hundreds of years ago. If we take back the monarchs land and return it to the people, then we still get the money raised by the Crown Estates, plus save the £13 odd million it costs to keep the monarchy. Plus, most of the Queen/Royals money comes from ordinary people paying rent for land and property that should rightfully belong to the country but doesn't.

I actually believe we should keep the monarchy, but the whole "Queen actually pays US more than we pay HER" debate drives me up the wall.

Heaven help us.......We pay approx 70 pence per head of the population, per year toward the monarchy. Enjoy what every other country would give their eye teeth for. If the land (which you consider to have been stolen,) was given back to the people, you can bet your bottom dollar, some foreign, rich buggar would take it off us. For the crown to hold it is actually a safe guard against such actions, for our heritage and enjoyment, e.g. parks, forests etc. If the Govt. got their hands on it all...they'd sell to the highest bidder,( a bit like the 'gold reserves') who wouldn't be British.
Posted By: Bizzybee1 Re: An absolute disgrace - 28th Jun 2013 9:38am
Originally Posted by granny

Heaven help us.......We pay approx 70 pence per head of the population, per year toward the monarchy. Enjoy what every other country would give their eye teeth for. If the land (which you consider to have been stolen,) was given back to the people, you can bet your bottom dollar, some foreign, rich buggar would take it off us. For the crown to hold it is actually a safe guard against such actions, for our heritage and enjoyment, e.g. parks, forests etc. If the Govt. got their hands on it all...they'd sell to the highest bidder,( a bit like the 'gold reserves') who wouldn't be British.

That is one hell of a lot of money.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: An absolute disgrace - 28th Jun 2013 10:11am
Originally Posted by NickLeg
That is one hell of a lot of money.

Dont look at your latest P60 or council tax bill unless you are sitting down then.
Posted By: Salmon Re: An absolute disgrace - 28th Jun 2013 10:19am
The monarchy costs £420 million per year and the Crown estates own app £8.1 billion so let us share that out between the 62.74 million people in UK and enjoy spending the £135 each. Then we lose an estimated £7.6 billion per year out of the £115 billion tourist revenue which the Royal family generate. Sounds like we get good value from the Royal family to me.
Posted By: granny Re: An absolute disgrace - 28th Jun 2013 11:05am
3071 Charities and Patronages of the British Monarchy

http://www.royal.gov.uk/CharitiesandPatronages/Search%20Charities%20and%20Patronages.aspx

1200 staff employed at Buckingham Palace alone....

http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalHousehold/Overview.aspx

Feast your eyes on all of this Nickleg, and then come back with another winge.
p.s.
..and amongst other things, I will never forgive Tony Blair for scrappng the Royal Yacht and reducing our Queen, who stands for all the people of this country, to tears ,in a public place. Brittania was the only place that our Queen truly felt some freedom.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: An absolute disgrace - 28th Jun 2013 12:49pm
There has been some mutterings about a new Royal Yacht but it seems to have been put in the deep freeze.

Perhaps those Russian oligarchs who reside in relative safety within these shores should cough up the dosh.
Posted By: Bizzybee1 Re: An absolute disgrace - 28th Jun 2013 3:44pm
Originally Posted by granny
3071 Charities and Patronages of the British Monarchy

http://www.royal.gov.uk/CharitiesandPatronages/Search%20Charities%20and%20Patronages.aspx

1200 staff employed at Buckingham Palace alone....

http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalHousehold/Overview.aspx

Feast your eyes on all of this Nickleg, and then come back with another winge.
p.s.
..and amongst other things, I will never forgive Tony Blair for scrappng the Royal Yacht and reducing our Queen, who stands for all the people of this country, to tears ,in a public place. Brittania was the only place that our Queen truly felt some freedom.

My heart bleeds for her.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral