Forums
Posted By: Willo_ Tia Sharp Murder: Stuart Hazell Sentenced - 14th May 2013 12:32pm
Stuart Hazell has been jailed for a minimum of 38 years after he was given a life sentence for murdering schoolgirl Tia Sharp.

The 37-year-old originally denied killing the youngster and hiding her body in the loft of the home he shared with her grandmother.

He forced 12-year-old Tia's family to sit through days of shocking and graphic evidence at the Old Bailey before eventually changing his plea to guilty in a dramatic turn of events.

Passing sentence, judge Mr Justice Nicol told Hazell: "Tia was a sparky girl who was full of life but you took that life from her.

"All that lay ahead of her - a career, loves and family of her own - will now never be. And the loss of her has been devastating for her mother, her father and all her relatives and friends.

"The tragedy of their loss and her death is because of your act in murdering Tia Sharp. You are responsible."

Gasps and cries of "yes" could be heard from Tia's family as Hazell was taken down from the dock.

Earlier, he sat forward in his seat and stared intently, as the judge told him there was "no doubt" he had developed a sexual interest in Tia.

He referred to a picture of Tia, believed to have been taken after her death, which he said "further degraded that young girl".

The judge said there was "no pathological evidence" she had been sexually assaulted, although "it cannot be discounted".

"I cannot say for certain that there was a sexual motive for the killing," he added. "It is not a case where a whole life tariff can be imposed."

Mr Justice Nicol said there were a number of other "notable and serious" aggravating factors in the case.

They included Tia's age, the "gross breach of trust" by Hazell and the concealment of her body, which was found wrapped in bin bags and a sheet in New Addington, south London, last August.

Tia's family left court without speaking to the crowd of reporters who had gathered outside, although some of her relatives could be heard shouting "Nowhere near long enough" and "RIP Tia".

Witness statements described the torment her parents endured after learning Hazell had killed their daughter.

Her mother, Natalie Sharp, said she has "so many questions" for Hazell, adding: "Sometimes I feel pity. Sometimes I want to hurt him."

Tia's father, Steven Carter, said Hazell should be hanged. "In my opinion (a prison sentence) will not be enough," he told reporters outside court.

The judge said Hazell would be given only "the most modest of credit" for changing his plea to guilty on the fifth day of his trial.

He told him: "Your counsel says that you wished to avoid causing further distress to Tia's family. That is very commendable, but they have had to endure four days of a very public trial.

"It was necessary for the prosecution to lay out for the jury your sexual interest in Tia and for the jury to see the photograph of Tia naked. Your plea of guilty has spared the family none of that.

"It may be the first act of remorse, as your counsel says, but because it comes so late I am afraid it will earn you only the most modest of credit."

Detective Chief Inspector Nick Scola, of the Metropolitan Police's Homicide and Serious Crime Command, said he was "very pleased" with the sentence.

"A minimum of 38 years is satisfying for both the investigating team and Tia's friends and family," he said.

"Hazell will have a very long time in prison to think about what he has done."

Source
Posted By: IanR123 Re: Tia Sharp Murder: Stuart Hazell Sentenced - 15th May 2013 12:47am
The Father....wants him to do his time and then be hanged I doubt if any parent would disagree with him
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Tia Sharp Murder: Stuart Hazell Sentenced - 15th May 2013 9:44pm
been so many of these sad and diasturbing cases--April Jones and Mark Bridger still in trial. Trying to understand why people can do such horrible things and not be diagnosed as mentally ill. What is it that can send such people to lose all moral restraint--if they ever had any in the first place that is.I fear we are going to hear more and more of these cases judging by what my wife sees in primary school---kids with no boundaries at 5 and 6 yrs old.-common denominator is usually unstable family life.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral