Forums
Posted By: DJDuck (Sir) James Savile - 12th Oct 2012 10:48pm
If Jimmy Savile was a UK/US 1970's / 1980's rock star or indeed politician would we be at all bothered by these accusations?

I only ask as many of them (without naming names for libel purposes) enjoyed the company of "younger women" and due to their living reputation nothing has ever been done!

What can be gained by this retrospective investigation I wonder?

Although some of the accusations carry incredible weight some are relatively feeble and suggest the "jumping on the bandwagon".

Discuss
Posted By: Zubee Re: (Sir) James Savile - 12th Oct 2012 10:59pm
Whilst I don't doubt that some people are jumping on the bandwagon I'm having difficulty believing that all of the accusations are without foundation.

The things to be gained from this retrospective investigation are many and far reaching. His victims will be able to be recognised as such and hopefully gain some form of closure. Also anybody else 'high profile' currently using their celebrity to abuse people may be stopped in their tracks.
Posted By: DJDuck Re: (Sir) James Savile - 12th Oct 2012 11:07pm
Closure without admission of guilt?

In this case impossible.

Alas I see what you're saying but I fear this will disappear into the ether once a more news worthy story appears.
Posted By: stu6278 Re: (Sir) James Savile - 13th Oct 2012 7:33am
Originally Posted by DJDuck
If Jimmy Savile was a UK/US 1970's / 1980's rock star or indeed politician would we be at all bothered by these accusations?

I only ask as many of them (without naming names for libel purposes) enjoyed the company of "younger women" and due to their living reputation nothing has ever been done!

The cynic in me thinks that while rock stars of a different era got away with this sort of thing, their popularity has protected them. If you produce good music that people still enjoy and radio stations still play, it's rather inconvenient to start demonising them with child abuse allegations.

Gary Glitter was considered a bit naff even before his exploits came out so that was no loss to the music industry. Jimmy Savile also fits the bill. An eccentric and slightly weird character that fits in with the "Child Catcher" stereotype idea of someone who harms children.

That said, based on what I've seen and heard I'm pretty sure Savile did at least some of what it being claimed. There are too many stories coming out. Plus the latest allegations of roaming around hospital corridors, preying on sick kids takes it to a whole new level. frown
Posted By: mrhanky Re: (Sir) James Savile - 13th Oct 2012 8:39am

Although some of the accusations carry incredible weight some are relatively feeble and suggest the "jumping on the bandwagon".

Discuss

sadly it's attitudes like that that put people off coming forward and saying what happened/is happening to them.

their abuser says "no one will believe you" and you've just re-enforced that. (not having a personal dig at you)

Closure without admission of guilt?

trust me on this one, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS CLOSURE, it's just a word bandied around.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral