Forums
Posted By: granny United Utilities - 6th Sep 2012 10:05pm
For anyone who may be interested. It looks as if United Utilities will be the next to go to foreign ownership.
Good old U.K. Not much left really.

http://www.selftrade.co.uk/news-information/news.php?fullview=1&idNews=13506954&submit=

China have recently taken a gas company of South Wales which was Australian owned!

This was 2010. Bonuses

http://manchestermule.com/article/m...nited-utilities-as-bosses-up-own-bonuses
Posted By: Anonymous Re: United Utilities - 7th Sep 2012 4:24am
Well, ain't that just great ?? The soaring profits these outfits make out of me & thee is unbelievable - unbelievable until the utility bills thud onto your doormat of course. (Looks for pewking emoticon) There'll be extra large cigars being passed around the Board Room tables I'm sure.

Thanks granny.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: United Utilities - 7th Sep 2012 10:13pm
Before Maggie, just think about what we, the British people owned collectively. Now all gone and mostly foreign-owned:

British Rail,
British Telecom,
British Airways,
British Steel,
British Petroleum,
Britoil,
British Gas,
The Electricity industry,
The Water industry,
British Coal,
Cable & Wireless,
Almost every bus company,
Almost every port,
British Airports Authority,
National Air Traffic Control,
Girobank,
The TSB.

It's very worrying for our future as so much of our infrastructure is now owned overseas.
Posted By: Wench Re: United Utilities - 8th Sep 2012 3:01pm
I want to know how I can get a village in Africa fresh water for £2 a month, yet here it costs £47 a month!!
Posted By: sunnyside Re: United Utilities - 8th Sep 2012 3:07pm
let us know when you find out wench, as its all doom and gloom here at the moment.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: United Utilities - 9th Sep 2012 9:46am
Originally Posted by Wench
I want to know how I can get a village in Africa fresh water for £2 a month, yet here it costs £47 a month!!

Because our water is provided by private companies. Simple! They have to make large profits and give dividends to shareholders. Their priority is not to you or me, but to their shareholders. Privatisation is the elephant in the room. Whilst our utilities are private then they will rip us off. If we want better quality, forward-looking, cheaper utilities then we need to press our politicians to renationalise them.
Posted By: granny Re: United Utilities - 9th Sep 2012 10:09am
Originally Posted by Touchstone

Because our water is provided by private companies. Simple! They have to make large profits and give dividends to shareholders. Their priority is not to you or me, but to their shareholders. Privatisation is the elephant in the room. Whilst our utilities are private then they will rip us off. If we want better quality, forward-looking, cheaper utilities then we need to press our politicians to renationalise them.

About 20 years too late for that Touchstone. Nobody(politicians) so far, has shown any interest whatsoever in going down that route.They and we, all know why. Some may voice mutterings in a half hearted way, without any conviction behind them.

To Wench: £2 a month is a lot of money in an African Village. They can build and set up a school for between £6000 and £8000. Should we start a fund for African schools on Wiki, we can probably all be able to give something.Even if it's only £2. With 8585 members, we could buy 2 schools!
Posted By: chriskay Re: United Utilities - 9th Sep 2012 3:29pm

If we want better quality, forward-looking, cheaper utilities then we need to press our politicians to renationalise them.

How is that going to help us? We (the collective "we") have to pay in the end. I can't recall a nationalised industry which wasn't subsidised by the Government.
Posted By: chriskay Re: United Utilities - 9th Sep 2012 3:32pm

£47 a month? here, in Severn Trent area I pay £12.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: United Utilities - 9th Sep 2012 4:26pm
Originally Posted by chriskay

£12 a month? Here, in my area I pay nothing! Natural spring on hill above the house. Pure as pure can be !! Too high up for mains water.
Posted By: chriskay Re: United Utilities - 9th Sep 2012 6:29pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer

£12 a month? Here, in my area I pay nothing! Natural spring on hill above the house. Pure as pure can be !! Too high up for mains water.

Ha! tight bloody Scotsman. grin
Posted By: granny Re: United Utilities - 9th Sep 2012 6:36pm

Oh Yeh, Na na nana na! A hill, a bucket and a pinny. 'The hills are alive with the sound of music' ?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: United Utilities - 9th Sep 2012 6:59pm
Do I detect just a hint of jealousy??
Posted By: granny Re: United Utilities - 9th Sep 2012 7:48pm
Too right Pinz! FREE water!!!!
Posted By: chriskay Re: United Utilities - 9th Sep 2012 9:59pm
Do I detect just a hint of jealousy??

YES!!!
Posted By: Moonstar Re: United Utilities - 10th Sep 2012 4:56pm
I am on a United Utilities water meter, costs £18 per month.

There are standing charges for fresh water at £34 pa, wastewater at £17 pa, and the ubquitous surface water/highway drainage at £71 pa.

The charge for fresh water coming in is £1.537 per cubic metre; the wastewater/sewage is £1.201 per cubic metre.

Therefore more than 50% of the cost is for standing charges alone.
Posted By: Wench Re: United Utilities - 10th Sep 2012 10:12pm

You're right my lovely, I lied - it's actually £48.05! Total for the year is £576.65. I'm going to see about getting a meter as there's only me here and I'm damned sure I don't use that much moneys worth!

If I can't get one fitted, I'll just ask if they want me to bend over or just lie on my back!
Posted By: TheDr Re: United Utilities - 11th Sep 2012 12:57am
I'll just ask if they want me to bend over or just lie on my back!

No comment required.
Posted By: chriskay Re: United Utilities - 11th Sep 2012 8:37am
I'm going to see about getting a meter as there's only me here and I'm damned sure I don't use that much moneys worth!

I'm pretty sure they have to fit a meter if you ask for one; free too.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: United Utilities - 11th Sep 2012 9:56am

You're right my lovely, I lied - it's actually £48.05! Total for the year is £576.65. I'm going to see about getting a meter as there's only me here and I'm damned sure I don't use that much moneys worth!

If I can't get one fitted, I'll just ask if they want me to bend over or just lie on my back!

shocked

It sounds like you are getting screwed already - with those prices!
Posted By: granny Re: United Utilities - 11th Sep 2012 12:50pm
If I can't get one fitted, I'll just ask if they want me to bend over or just lie on my back! [/quote

shocked

It sounds like you are getting screwed already - with those prices!

Pinz, I'm disgusted at you,. Get back up your hill and clear your head!!
Posted By: Touchstone Re: United Utilities - 3rd Oct 2012 3:17pm

If we want better quality, forward-looking, cheaper utilities then we need to press our politicians to renationalise them.

How is that going to help us? We (the collective "we") have to pay in the end. I can't recall a nationalised industry which wasn't subsidised by the Government.

You obviously have no understanding then how the privatised public transport network is funded.
Posted By: sunnyside Re: United Utilities - 6th Oct 2012 11:05am
what is now british owned not a lot.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: United Utilities - 6th Oct 2012 1:14pm
Originally Posted by sunnyside
what is now british owned not a lot.

Not much. British Aerospace [BAe] is next up to be taken over by foreign companies. Marks & Spencer and Sainsbury's are also rumored to be possible targets. Boots is probably going to be taken over by an American company soon.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral