Forums
Posted By: dave_h burying nuclear waste - 18th May 2012 10:19am
thoughts and opinions on this, imagine it was going to be located on the wirral

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-18086988

Posted By: Anonymous Re: burying nuclear waste - 18th May 2012 10:44am
I suspect "if" this was located under the Wirral, after a couple of weeks someone would have dug their way down to the repository. The containers would have been dragged to the surface. The "hot" contents dumped over someone's wall and said containers weighed in for scrap!

As long as enough brown envelopes were given out, Wirral Borough Council would give this project a big "YES".

Me cynical ??? Naaaaah.
Posted By: dave_h Re: burying nuclear waste - 18th May 2012 12:50pm
hahaha were you think it would be cited?
Posted By: Rover1 Re: burying nuclear waste - 18th May 2012 9:20pm
They could hide it in the tunnels under tranmere
just have to fix new doors to the entrances to keep secure
Posted By: Anonymous Re: burying nuclear waste - 20th May 2012 5:07pm
Think of the money the council could save - on streetlighting. The Holborn Hill and Frodsham Street areas would glow in the dark! No one therabouts would ever have any children - massive savings to be made on the future education budgets. I could go on.... wink
Posted By: derekdwc Re: burying nuclear waste - 20th May 2012 10:08pm
No matter how deep they bury it, you can't take into account the forces of nature, earthquakes etc that could release it and letting it affect our water or crops.
You can bet on it being done in the cheapest or most profitable way, but not the safest.
Posted By: dave_h Re: burying nuclear waste - 26th May 2012 11:05am
Originally Posted by derekdwc
No matter how deep they bury it, you can't take into account the forces of nature, earthquakes etc that could release it and letting it affect our water or crops.
You can bet on it being done in the cheapest or most profitable way, but not the safest.

superman 4 - blast it off into the sun, though challenger comes to mind, what a pickle we'd be in then!
Posted By: ex0__ Re: burying nuclear waste - 26th May 2012 11:53am
Radioactive Waste has to be stored somewhere - there are thousands of sites all over the world that do just that without incident. Can't say I'd have any problem with it being stored underground in the wirral somewhere, given that it's waste from power stations.
Posted By: dave_h Re: burying nuclear waste - 26th May 2012 11:56am
Originally Posted by ex0__
Radioactive Waste has to be stored somewhere - there are thousands of sites all over the world that do just that without incident. Can't say I'd have any problem with it being stored underground in the wirral somewhere, given that it's waste from power stations.

fair one, the amount of rock that it would be under and the storage c onstraints, i reckon would be pretty safe!
Posted By: ex0__ Re: burying nuclear waste - 26th May 2012 12:19pm
Originally Posted by dave_h
fair one, the amount of rock that it would be under and the storage c onstraints, i reckon would be pretty safe!

I think the storage constraints are a pretty big factor, isn't high-radiactivity waste contained in iron drums in a cocoon of concrete or something? They are pretty secure.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: burying nuclear waste - 26th May 2012 1:28pm
From what I've read, the preferred "country rock" strata is various forms of granite. Stable when chambered out and (more or less) impermeable. Sooooooooo that lets Wirral off the hook, as it's mainly sandstone and discarded take away wrappers !

grin
Posted By: dave_h Re: burying nuclear waste - 26th May 2012 2:09pm
Originally Posted by ex0__
Originally Posted by dave_h

I think the storage constraints are a pretty big factor, isn't high-radiactivity waste contained in iron drums in a cocoon of concrete or something? They are pretty secure.

some can be turned into glass like structure
Posted By: dave_h Re: burying nuclear waste - 26th May 2012 2:10pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
From what I've read, the preferred "country rock" strata is various forms of granite. Stable when chambered out and (more or less) impermeable. Sooooooooo that lets Wirral off the hook, as it's mainly sandstone and discarded take away wrappers !

grin

yer the one some Grrr dumped outside my mums with the contents on the road will form part of the wirral base layer in time
Posted By: Chris_Peacock Re: burying nuclear waste - 26th May 2012 6:37pm
I suspect "if" this was located under the Wirral, after a couple of weeks someone would have dug their way down to the repository. The containers would have been dragged to the surface. The "hot" contents dumped over someone's wall and said containers weighed in for scrap!

As long as enough brown envelopes were given out, Wirral Borough Council would give this project a big "YES".

Me cynical ??? Naaaaah.

Hehe probably.

Seriously though... it wouldn't happen if it wasn't considered safe. Get on with your lives and stop moaning at every conveivable moment.
Posted By: dave_h Re: burying nuclear waste - 26th May 2012 6:42pm
Originally Posted by Chris_Peacock

Me cynical ??? Naaaaah.

Hehe probably.

Seriously though... it wouldn't happen if it wasn't considered safe. Get on with your lives and stop moaning at every conveivable moment.

who's moaning? i asked the question what do people think...
Posted By: Chris_Peacock Re: burying nuclear waste - 26th May 2012 6:48pm
I didn't mean you were moaning pal, I meant people in general, who moan about things like this. Sorry for any offence.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: burying nuclear waste - 26th May 2012 7:04pm
I wasn't moaning either. Just being my usual cynical, sarcastic, gloom & doomish self. It's being so cheerful that keeps me going!
Posted By: dave_h Re: burying nuclear waste - 26th May 2012 10:22pm
Originally Posted by Chris_Peacock
I didn't mean you were moaning pal, I meant people in general, who moan about things like this. Sorry for any offence.

none taken - thick skin hahahahaha
Posted By: Anonymous Re: burying nuclear waste - 28th May 2012 11:34pm
I'd give it a month before the local kids had dug their way in and T.C. had pics up on here!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: burying nuclear waste - 29th May 2012 3:04pm
I think the Jocks have all the granite, lucky gits.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral