Forums
Common Sense at Last!!!!

Three couples challenged law requiring people to speak English before coming to Britain to live with spouse

An Indian woman who argued that immigration rules preventing her husband from moving to the UK because he cannot speak English were a breach of the couple’s human rights has lost her case.

British citizen Rashida Chapti, 54, argued that her husband of 37 years, Vali Chapti, should be allowed to join her from India.

But immigration rules announced by Home Secretary Theresa May last year introduced new English language requirements for those moving to Britain to join a spouse.

Mrs Chapti, who has six children with her 57-year-old husband, argued in the High Court in Birmingham that the rule was a breach of the couple’s right to a private and family life under the European Convention on Human Rights.

Using legal aid to fight her case, she also argued that it was a breach of the right to marriage, and the right to be free from discrimination

Read More Here
Why doesn't she just take herself and the six kids back to India where they can be a proper family?
Not quite so beneficial I suspect.
Originally Posted by FiremanFil
Why doesn't she just take herself and the six kids back to India where they can be a proper family?
Yes i will take her to the airport if she like`s laugh
I wonder if the Welsh speaking people of Patagonia, Argentina would be allowed to settle in Britain, especially Wales.

too right he should not be allowed to come in this country. what could he ever contribute if he can't speak the lingo
Originally Posted by bert1
I wonder if the Welsh speaking people of Patagonia, Argentina would be allowed to settle in Britain, especially Wales.

it does open a serious debate about english people settling in wales or it may be squashed due to British law not a national law?
I can't comment on the law, not qualified, but Wales is bi-lingual, children are still taught Welsh in schools and some Welsh people see it as their first language, in fact some can only speak Welsh, so if a person wants to settle in Britain and speaks Welsh, should we and can we bar them from doing so because they can't speak English.
Imagine if the spanish and french made it the same for our ex-pats . . . I do like the law though and always have said if you wish to settle in a country you should speak the language and live the way of life that is accecptable in that country.
Originally Posted by ResearcherTony

it does open a serious debate about english people settling in wales

Well, some of the Welsh made clear their displeasure at English folk buying second homes there: they blew them up.
Originally Posted by chriskay
Originally Posted by ResearcherTony

it does open a serious debate about english people settling in wales

Well, some of the Welsh made clear their displeasure at English folk buying second homes there: they blew them up.

in all fairness if thats there language they have the right to speak and others should follow, if we are setting an example nationwide to other nationals about speaking english in england!
The top and bottom of it is, no political party or government have got the bottle to say "The door is shut and will only open again when there is full employment etc"
They would rather put stupid obstacles in the way as if that will solve any problems.
Originally Posted by bert1
I can't comment on the law, not qualified, but Wales is bi-lingual, children are still taught Welsh in schools and some Welsh people see it as their first language, in fact some can only speak Welsh, so if a person wants to settle in Britain and speaks Welsh, should we and can we bar them from doing so because they can't speak English.

Not sure about the law either but the UK has a number of official languages - Welsh, Scots Gaelic, Cornish, Irish Gaelic, British Sign Language, and of course, English. It would certainly make an interesting test case regarding the Welsh only speaker from Patagonia.
I didn't realise that there is no "Q" in the Welsh language. I discovered this when I was in Bala and I needed a spade for my uncle's garden. I asked a local guy if there was a B&Q in Bala and he said -"No-Only a "B"!!
Originally Posted by FiremanFil
I didn't realise that there is no "Q" in the Welsh language. I discovered this when I was in Bala and I needed a spade for my uncle's garden. I asked a local guy if there was a B&Q in Bala and he said -"No-Only a "B"!!

Don't give up your day job.
Ha!! You're not from wales, are you? :-)
You're not Jimmy Tarbrush in disguise, are you Fil?
Tellya what, Bert. If I can brighten one person's day up by telling a bad gag-then it's worth any flak!! :-)
Nah!! Never been so insulted in my life!! lol.
Could have been worse. I could have compared you to Stan Boardman!
Yeah. He's a prick. He did a gig for H4H once and they only raised about a grand-and he took his full fee of £600 plus out!! No time for him.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral