Forums
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Jailed for trolling? - 13th Sep 2011 4:48pm
Okay what he did was nasty but prison just seems way over the top to me, am I missing something here?

Sean Duffy case highlights murky world of trolling

A man has been jailed for 18 weeks for sending abusive messages on social networking sites.

Sean Duffy, from Reading, Berkshire, posted hurtful remarks on pages set up in remembrance of girls who had died.

His victims were the bereaved relatives of people he did not know, and included the family of Worcester teenager Natasha MacBryde who killed herself after being bullied.

Duffy pleaded guilty to two counts of sending a communication of an indecent or offensive nature.

The charges related to Facebook and YouTube posts about Miss MacBryde, 15, who Duffy had never met.

But exactly what constitutes trolling, who does it, and who does it affect?

Trolling is described by Oxford Dictionaries Online as an "informal term".

It means to send or submit a provocative email or posting with the intention of inciting an angry response.

Fevzi Turkalp, a technology expert from gadgetdetective.com says trolling is often used in chatrooms and online forums, especially in the technology world.

"Someone will go onto an Apple website and say something derogatory about Apple, knowing full well people on there will be fans of Apple, in order to provoke a response," he said.

However, there is a darker side to trolling, in which people take advantage of anonymity to make hurtful and offensive remarks.

Cyberbullying

"People feel protected by anonymity and the true nature of people comes to the fore," said Mr Turkalp.

It is at this point that trolling can also descend into cyberbullying.

Cyberbullying is defined by Mr Turkalp as "a repetitious and malicious activity by one person or a group of people against another individual".

In the case of Miss MacBryde, her bereaved family and friends were targeted by Duffy's trolling.

Duffy posted messages on a remembrance page set up by Miss MacBryde's friends.

In one of the posts he called the teenager a sl*t.

He also posted a video on YouTube, entitled Tasha the Tank Engine, showing the children's character Thomas the Tank Engine with Miss MacBryde's face.

Miss MacBryde had thrown herself under a train after being cyber-bullied in a separate incident.

In another cyberbullying case, Carney Bonner, 17, told BBC Berkshire in March how he almost "slit his wrists" due to being bullied on Facebook as a 14-year-old.

And, although it is commonly believed that teenagers are the main victims of cyberbullying, teaching unions also report a rise in incidences against staff.

Chris Keates, General Secretary of the NASUWT, the largest teachers' union, said pupils had started to use "sophisticated tools" against teachers.

"Misuse of internet sites can destroy teachers' confidence and professional reputation and provide yet another vehicle for false allegations against staff.

"New cases of abuse, harassment and humiliation are emerging all the time."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-14897948
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: Jailed for trolling? - 13th Sep 2011 4:51pm
Oh my,not good
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Jailed for trolling? - 13th Sep 2011 5:01pm
I think there's a bit if a difference between "Trolling" in the long-used internet community sense and being abusive, or hurtful.

Trolling is annoying and is certainly done in order to provoke repsonses but it really has nothing to do with abuse, harrassment or humiliating people...

What this idiot did, goes WAY beyond any accepted definition of "Trolling"!
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: Jailed for trolling? - 13th Sep 2011 5:03pm
Originally Posted by CVCVCV
What this idiot did, goes WAY beyond any accepted definition of "Trolling"!

Yeah I wouldn't call it trolling either but I really don't think prison is any way to deal with it :s
Posted By: rocks Re: Jailed for trolling? - 13th Sep 2011 5:06pm
iv only had a couple but so glad iv kept/copied every aggressive post/pm iv ever received as you never know when you might need them!
Posted By: jessiikahh Re: Jailed for trolling? - 13th Sep 2011 5:08pm
we had trolls on my facebook a few months back robbing peoples pictures of kids and saying things about them also has babies with blood coming out of there head and all this they took a picture of my partners baby so we contacted the police as did so many other people and they did say they cant do anything about it..

it depends in what way they are trolling as the above was revolting and sick but also annoying etc
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Jailed for trolling? - 13th Sep 2011 5:30pm
Originally Posted by jessiikahh
we had trolls on my facebook a few months back robbing peoples pictures of kids and saying things about them also has babies with blood coming out of there head and all this they took a picture of my partners baby so we contacted the police as did so many other people and they did say they cant do anything about it..

it depends in what way they are trolling as the above was revolting and sick but also annoying etc

How did they access the pictures? Did they hack the accounts?
Posted By: reddragon Re: Jailed for trolling? - 13th Sep 2011 5:37pm
Just heard bout this on car radio it's disgusting and 18 weeks and banned from networking sites for 5 years how they gonna know all he has to do is sign up in different screen names
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Jailed for trolling? - 13th Sep 2011 5:49pm
I think prison is fair, I hope it deters other idiots from doing the same and makes him regret what he's done.
Posted By: jessiikahh Re: Jailed for trolling? - 13th Sep 2011 5:55pm
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner
Originally Posted by jessiikahh

How did they access the pictures? Did they hack the accounts?

yes they did to ours and a few others put also people where liking groups then they where taking pictures it was disgusting i couldnt believe what people actually do frown
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Jailed for trolling? - 13th Sep 2011 6:31pm
This is nothing new confused

Did you lot not know that this law has been out for years? smack
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Jailed for trolling? - 13th Sep 2011 6:37pm
Astounds me how many people think the internet is exempt, its a public place and a public post on the internet is just the same as putting it in a newspaper, on a billboard or on television etc.
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: Jailed for trolling? - 13th Sep 2011 6:37pm
I didn't mean anything to do with there being a law against it, I just think prison is a stupid punishment for it!

And if someone put it in a newspaper or said it on tele I still don't think prison makes any sense, nothing to do with the fact it's on the internet. People have said hurtful things to me before, should they go to prison? Of course not!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Jailed for trolling? - 13th Sep 2011 6:45pm
Originally Posted by GrandMasterFlash
I just think prison is a stupid punishment for it!

Not at all gmf, this type of behaviour can lead to suicide, in fact I believe there have been a few cases on this subject reported in the papers.
It is a very serious offence.
Now if a family member discovered their loved one had ended their life due to cyber harassment I am pretty sure they would want to see the guilty party in prison.
This guy has been used to send a message out.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Jailed for trolling? - 13th Sep 2011 6:50pm
Originally Posted by GrandMasterFlash
People have said hurtful things to me before, should they go to prison? Of course not!

The Internet is a very large file full of evidence which even when edited can be retrieved.
Basically the evidence speaks for itself on the net therefore resulting in a more solid conviction.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Jailed for trolling? - 13th Sep 2011 6:56pm
It's just very stupid of the BBC (or anyone else) to call this "trolling" - because this wasn't trolling.

Trolling isn't illegal (regrettably, perhaps!!), whereas "sending a communication of an indecent or offensive nature" absolutely (and quite properly, IMNSHO) is...
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Jailed for trolling? - 13th Sep 2011 6:56pm
Jail = public protection
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Jailed for trolling? - 13th Sep 2011 7:01pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Jail = public protection
withthat
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Jailed for trolling? - 13th Sep 2011 7:14pm
Not if prisoners get internet access?
Seems like some do: Click
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: Jailed for trolling? - 13th Sep 2011 7:28pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Not at all gmf, this type of behaviour can lead to suicide, in fact I believe there have been a few cases on this subject reported in the papers.
It is a very serious offence.
Now if a family member discovered their loved one had ended their life due to cyber harassment I am pretty sure they would want to see the guilty party in prison.
This guy has been used to send a message out.

Hmmm true, still seems silly to me, as it didn't lead to anything other than a bit of upset by the family. Persistant harassment causing someone to kill themselves is a bit different I think. I don't know, probably cos it says 'trolling' in the title I'm just seeing as that and not what it really is think
Posted By: mrsmonroe Re: Jailed for trolling? - 13th Sep 2011 8:02pm
[/quote] Hmmm true, still seems silly to me, as it didn't lead to anything other than a bit of upset by the family. Persistant harassment causing someone to kill themselves is a bit different I think. I don't know, probably cos it says 'trolling' in the title I'm just seeing as that and not what it really is think [/quote]

BIT of upset??

Are you a parent? Its a whole different world once you become a parent! Years ago before the birth of my child I may of questioned the choice of punishment here (maybe in favour of whipping?) but feeling empathy for the parents who have lost their children, only for some piece of crap to defame the tribute given to them, I KNOW that they would of been more than upset, probably mortified and deeply pained, and for that the violator should be named, shamed, imprisoned for a short enough amount of time for the public to remember him when he becomes free!
Posted By: janazca Re: Jailed for trolling? - 14th Sep 2011 12:02pm
Trolling sounds a rather jolly name to describe such an evil horrendous thing that this man has been found guilty of. Its a bit like calling yobs joy riders , they cause no joy in anyway to the people who they hurt during their pursuit of their so called joy.
Posted By: AlexB Re: Jailed for trolling? - 14th Sep 2011 12:08pm
Originally Posted by reddragon
Just heard bout this on car radio it's disgusting and 18 weeks and banned from networking sites for 5 years how they gonna know all he has to do is sign up in different screen names

True that!
Posted By: Tombraider Re: Jailed for trolling? - 14th Sep 2011 12:57pm
Originally Posted by janazca
Trolling sounds a rather jolly name to describe such an evil horrendous thing that this man has been found guilty of. Its a bit like calling yobs joy riders , they cause no joy in anyway to the people who they hurt during their pursuit of their so called joy.
i agree with you Janazca,its a joyride they love the thrill off it. Sick but true in their case!!
Posted By: Pepper_Head Re: Jailed for trolling? - 14th Sep 2011 1:14pm
What this individual did was sick & deserves the punishment given, maybe he could spend that 18 weeks thinking what upset he has caused to his victims. Got to say though, it will be very difficult to police an internet ban.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Jailed for trolling? - 14th Sep 2011 1:57pm
Originally Posted by janazca
"Trolling" is a hi-jacked word that originally means "a manner of fishing from a very slow-moving boat". In internet parlance, it is exactly that, such people are "fishing" for replies to their deliberately "contentious" posts. (Yes I am an internet oldie, I've been on it since the early 80s and this term originates from the old "UUNET" Newsgroups. "There's nothing new that's under the Sun" as they say...!)
As I have said before, Trolling is all done for the benefit of the Troll - they get a perverse thrill out of seeing other people responding to the "bait". What this person did was in no way, shape or form amywhere close to "Trolling", it went WAY BEYOND it...!!
Posted By: markjw Re: Jailed for trolling? - 14th Sep 2011 7:33pm
Although distasteful and not something most of us would consider doing, we are creeping further and further in to the world of the 'thought police'.

Without diminishing the parents loss in this case, they chose to publicise their mourning for the whole world to see on facebook. They could have easily controlled who joined the commemorative group with the relevant settings and have limited postings to the deceased's family and friends.

To put someone in prison for 18 months for this is not the correct punishment - it achieves nothing.

Let's pose a further question - if someone posted on a facebook group commemorating for example the Hillsborough disaster - and blamed the fans in the way that Murdoch's paper did - would that be deemed a similar offence punishable by imprisonment? After all it would cause the same amount of offence and distress to relatives of those who died and has been caused in this case.

And should now Nathan Eccleston be jailed for causing upset and distress to the 9/11 relatives by stating their own government killed them for nefarious purposes?

Once you start down this road, we are on a slippery slope. Will any anti-war postings on facebook be deemed as causing distress to relatives of dead servicemen? See how easily the slope becomes a cliff?

As I said at the beginning, I in no way condone what the person did. They obviously have no life of their own and get fun from strange things like this.

But a criminal offence?
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: Jailed for trolling? - 14th Sep 2011 7:49pm
Yes markjw that's what I was getting at in a very rambling way! Totally agree!
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Jailed for trolling? - 14th Sep 2011 7:55pm
Having freedom of speech does not mean it is OK to abuse it.
Deliberately violating someone's commemorative FB page and calling the dead girl a "sl*t" on there is clearly over the top. I really think it would have made their FB page fail to fulfil its intended function if it was limited for access to just friends/family etc - when people have a very wide circle such as being at school.

We are not talking about curtailing freedom of speech, not "thought police" here (albeit that does appear to be happening elsewhere!) - we are talking about someone who quite deliberately and cruelly stomped all over other people's grief - and that is clearly inexcusable.

Let's remember it was the British Legal system (ewhich has been working "fairly well" for some number of years!) that found him guilty - he can appeal, if he or anyone really thinks he has grounds to do so!

The legal system has to be what sets the bounds in these kinds of cases and I presonally think it has done the right thing in this case... YMMV, of course!!
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Jailed for trolling? - 14th Sep 2011 9:14pm
Lol, he got counter-trolled irl.

Sounds like he's a bit of a noob, who does their trolling without a vpn these days? confused
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: Jailed for trolling? - 14th Sep 2011 9:17pm
Originally Posted by ex0__
Lol, he got counter-trolled irl.

Love it! grin
Posted By: Snickas Re: Jailed for trolling? - 14th Sep 2011 9:41pm
I think the internet should be policed.
I remember earlier this year when some very nasty vile groups where set up on FB about some of the students at nearby schools...some of my friends thought it hilarious frown
The very next morning, I looked out my front window and there was about several groups of girls, in tears, very distressed...it was heartbreaking to see.
I know how nasty people can be and its really not nice to be a victim of nasty vile FB bullying but its even worse to be a victim...you put yourself through a whole shedload of emotions, no self esteem, no self confidence, you lose all faith in your closest friends, even more cos of your friend lists...
what was worse, some of these girls were close to doing their GCSEs frown
They're probably going to be traumatised for life frown
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Jailed for trolling? - 14th Sep 2011 10:23pm
'wirral sl*g list' on facebook knocked me sick. 13-15 year old kids 'named and shamed' with no evidence to support the allegations. I thought that was cruel.
Posted By: Tombraider Re: Jailed for trolling? - 14th Sep 2011 10:25pm
Originally Posted by Snickas
I remember earlier this year when some very nasty vile groups where set up on FB about some of the students at nearby schools...some of my friends thought it hilarious frown
The very next morning, I looked out my front window and there was about several groups of girls, in tears, very distressed...it was heartbreaking to see.
I know how nasty people can be and its really not nice to be a victim of nasty vile FB bullying but its even worse to be a victim...you put yourself through a whole shedload of emotions, no self esteem, no self confidence, you lose all faith in your closest friends, even more cos of your friend lists...
what was worse, some of these girls were close to doing their GCSEs frown
Exactly Snickas your right,And still must go on!
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Jailed for trolling? - 14th Sep 2011 10:33pm
Originally Posted by Snickas

It'd be simply impossible to police the internet to the standard you're talking about. The internet is way beyond being policed at this stage unless you're talking about a nationwide firewall or something like the great firewall of china or DPRK's internet restrictions. Never gonna happen.

As for traumatised for life .. lol. 2 weeks later they will have forgotten all about it. Not that I don't think those groups were wrong, but you're waaaaayyyyyy overreacting.
Posted By: Snickas Re: Jailed for trolling? - 15th Sep 2011 6:36am
you know what,
for the sake of those girls,
I really hope I am.

and I believe the CEOP are doing ok.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral