Forums
Posted By: StuyMac There ARE too many immigrants in the UK - 5th Aug 2011 10:14am
Following on from a couple of recent threads / news storys....

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
Nearly three quarters of Britons think there are too many immigrants in the country, a survey revealed yesterday.

The international poll, by IPSOS Mori, put the UK third highest in a league table of 23 countries according to concerns about migrant numbers.

And it showed Britain topped the table of countries according to concerns over the impact of migrants on public services.

[Linked Image]

Full Story
Posted By: Anonymous Re: There ARE too many immigrants in the UK - 5th Aug 2011 10:16am
One of those subjects that ends up with you labelled a racist.

There's too many people in general in the country in my opinion, so seems only fair we get rid of the immigrants first and stop them bloody well coming in.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: There ARE too many immigrants in the UK - 5th Aug 2011 10:22am
Racism is the belief that there are inherent differences in people's traits and capacities that are entirely due to their race.

This article is dealing with immigtartion wink
Posted By: Anonymous Re: There ARE too many immigrants in the UK - 5th Aug 2011 10:26am
I know what racism is but you can't deny that the subject brings with it cries of racism.

I'm not a racist, and I don't judge people by their race (probably one of the only things I don't judge them by raftl ) but I'm a firm believer that as a country we are far too soft.
Posted By: bert1 Re: There ARE too many immigrants in the UK - 5th Aug 2011 10:26am
To clarify so we know where we are going with this banning of immigrants, does it mean only those with brown skin or do we include, Americans, Canadians etc and break off all European treaties on the movement of labour. Are we prepared to have all the British living abroad sent back.
Yes it is a very fine line with being labelled a racist.

I lived in a Middle Eastern country for many many years, and I am not racist in the slightest. I followed their rules and regs for the country I lived in - and didn't have a problem with doing that.

I do however, disagree with how many immigrants we have in this country. This doesn't make me racist. I don't understand why they are being given so many rights - being able to build mosques, and being able to take time out in work to prey, why they are able to cover their faces, why they are able to have somebody arrested for racial abuse, but when it's the opposite (them doing it to us) nothing happens :-S we don't have freedom of speech evidentally.

There have been two situations that have been stopped recently with regards to religous beliefs and forcing them onto other people. For example, the Shria law in London - them trying to make certain zones whereby theres a ban on Acohol, Prostitution, Smoking etc...this is being looked into by Scotland Yard. The other was whereby two muslims put black paint on Lynx advertisments (a woman in short, low cut dress) on billboards because it wasn't appropriate for the town they were in (because majority were muslims), they have since been arrested for this.

I'm not at all racist, but I dont see why when we visit their country we have to abide by their rules - and yet in this country they have free reign to do what they want.

We should have a new rule like France - I agree with what they have done in recent months.
Posted By: mrhanky Re: There ARE too many immigrants in the UK - 5th Aug 2011 10:30am
Originally Posted by Daily Mail
Nearly three quarters of Britons think there are too many immigrants in the country, a survey revealed yesterday.

first off it's from the daily mail, we all know what that rag is like wink

secondly, i never took part in the survey, as i'm sure no one here did. just another thing to prove that 95% of statistics are made up wink
And how is it fair that our unemployment rate is so high - yet nearly every immigrant has a place of work.

Same as why is fair that we have families struggling to live - and yet we have immigrants in £1,000pm houses in London paid for by the dole....???
Posted By: ex0__ Re: There ARE too many immigrants in the UK - 5th Aug 2011 10:41am
That's not biased journalism at all, with the nice picture of the (very)few women that wear a full head burqa. /rolls eyes.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: There ARE too many immigrants in the UK - 5th Aug 2011 10:42am
Originally Posted by bert1
To clarify so we know where we are going with this banning of immigrants, does it mean only those with brown skin or do we include, Americans, Canadians etc and break off all European treaties on the movement of labour. Are we prepared to have all the British living abroad sent back.

Certainly from my point of view it's anyone coming into the country taking jobs and leaving so many Brits unemployed.

There's another side of the coin which says well they're only taking the jobs that nobody else wants to do. Defending that is easy, look how many people on here are desperate for jobs but can't find one.
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: There ARE too many immigrants in the UK - 5th Aug 2011 10:46am
Originally Posted by bert1

In 1830 the British Army was composed of 40% Irish and in 1861 25% of people living in Liverpool were also Irish.

Being English or British has always been a Heinz57 mix, and our heritage is constantly being enriched by those who come to live here, most of whom work very hard.
Would think not many on the Forum, who have not descended from Immigrants to our shores.

In the 1950's our transport would have come to a virtual standstill without those who came from Caribbean to work on the buses, and of late where would our hospitals be without the medics from overseas?

People don't moan about those who go to live in Spain and elsewhere.

It is tricky to get the quota's right so we are not swamped but I am sure this will never be the case.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: There ARE too many immigrants in the UK - 5th Aug 2011 10:46am
Originally Posted by Nobody
Certainly from my point of view it's anyone coming into the country taking jobs and leaving so many Brits unemployed.

This is possibly the most common and lamest argument used in any debate about immigration. It's why people cry racism when it's bought up, because logically if immigrant workers are getting jobs over english workers it's because they are simply better than the english candidates interviewed. Better work ethics, willing to work more hours. There's still the minimum wage, brits just have bad attitudes and are fooking lazy.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: There ARE too many immigrants in the UK - 5th Aug 2011 10:52am
Originally Posted by paxvobiscum

In 1830 the British Army was composed of 40% Irish and in 1861 25% of people living in Liverpool were also Irish.

Would think not many on the Forum, who have not descended from Immigrants to our shores.

In the 1950's our transport would have come to a virtual standstill without those who came from Caribbean to work on the buses, and of late where would our hospitals be without the medics from overseas?

People don't moan about those who go to live in Spain and elsewhere.

There we have the other side to the argument, put very well.

I'm 1/4 Norwegian, so who am I to comment on immigration?

Other than to say when my Grandfather came here during the war, he was actively involved in it, spoke English as his first language and my father went to school with English as his first language and subsequently neither him, my mother or any of his kids have ever taken a penny from the state - in fact have contributed very much - to the local economy in particular having developed most of the Conway Park area of Birkenhead during the 1990's.

A lot of it comes down to what you intend to contribute and how well you integrate into society, certainly not to do with the colour of your skin.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: There ARE too many immigrants in the UK - 5th Aug 2011 10:54am
Originally Posted by ex0__

This is possibly the most common and lamest argument used in any debate about immigration. It's why people cry racism when it's bought up, because logically if immigrant workers are getting jobs over english workers it's because they are simply better than the english candidates interviewed. Better work ethics, willing to work more hours. There's still the minimum wage, brits just have bad attitudes and are fooking lazy.

I agree with these points...

It doesn't help our economy though does it. I appreciate what you are saying and from a business point of view you want the best person for that job, but if they weren't here then the next person WOULD be the best person for the job, we'd be paying out less in benefits and the country would be in a better state, in my opinion of course.
Originally Posted by Nobody

It's not 'simply' that way ex0_. Yes a lot of the time it's because they will work more hours - but they still have to have the same legal breaks in between. Yes they have to have minimum wage - but so would the British person given that job.

I would like to know how factory work, and cleaners - and hor immigrants are better than the English candidates?

Brits have bad attitude to work because they have been given the life of riley on the dole - not needing to work and having everything paid for. However, there's people that have been working all their life - been laid off and would do anything for another job, no matter what it was doing and yet they can't get one, because immigrants have taken them.

Then it also brings into question - why we have heroes coming back from Afghan and getting benefits turned down - and yet we are paying for immigrants to live in expensive properties in the middle of our capital. they have 5-6-7 kids, and we're paying for them - and yet making cuts to our defence..........no I'm sorry, we do have too many in this country....

Posted By: ex0__ Re: There ARE too many immigrants in the UK - 5th Aug 2011 11:05am
Well you're more than welcome to your opinion, I was merely pointing out why this topic always leads to accusations of racism. You simply can't say 'british jobs for the british' and not come across as racist.

I'm not so sure your analogy of 'heroes' coming back from wherever and having benefits turned down applies. People get benefits when they deserve/need them, clearly the 'heroes' (I have to quote this because I think it's bullshit, its a ridiculous mislabel), despite their jobs, don't deserve or need the benefits they request. I know I know, I'll be torn apart for stating the obvious because it's 'heroes' we're talking about and not kissing their asses is a perceived crime, but logic prevails.
Posted By: mrhanky Re: There ARE too many immigrants in the UK - 5th Aug 2011 11:05am
Originally Posted by Spritey_Nikki

Then it also brings into question - why we have heroes coming back from Afghan and getting benefits turned down - and yet we are paying for immigrants to live in expensive properties in the middle of our capital. they have 5-6-7 kids, and we're paying for them - and yet making cuts to our defence..........no I'm sorry, we do have too many in this country....

don't forget though, there will also be white anglo saxon families living in big houses that are paid for by benefits wink
Well you're more than welcome to your opinion, I was merely pointing out why this topic always leads to accusations of racism. You simply can't say 'british jobs for the british' and not come across as racist.

I'm not so sure your analogy of 'heroes' coming back from wherever and having benefits turned down applies. People get benefits when they deserve/need them, clearly the 'heroes' (I have to quote this because I think it's bullshit, its a ridiculous mislabel), despite their jobs, don't deserve or need the benefits they request. I know I know, I'll be torn apart for stating the obvious because it's 'heroes' we're talking about and not kissing their asses is a perceived crime, but logic prevails.

I would be very careful speaking about our soldiers in that way if I was you. there are many people probably on this site too that have been hurt or involved in the wars going on. Including myself, I knew someone who died in Afghan, and I speak to their mum regularly, and it kills me everytime.

And I work within the benefits system, so I know first hand what happens with the benefits. I speak to practitioners everyday that get upset with having to bump somebody off because they dont meet the governments' point system, but should be having the benefit. So don't be telling me that people only get it when they deserve/need benefits - because that doesnt apply either.

And yes most of our soldiers do need the benefit, and they deserve the benefit, for fighting for rights that both me and you use everyday! Also for trying to make the world a better place.

And yes I do see them as heroes, putting themselves in harms way, knowing that they could be killed, yes it's their choice - but by heck have I got respect for them moreso that it's their choice, and so should you!
Posted By: ex0__ Re: There ARE too many immigrants in the UK - 5th Aug 2011 11:18am
I would be very careful speaking about our soldiers in that way if I was you.

Oh please, the only reason you brought it up was you figured no one would have the balls to argue against it. You were wrong, get over it.

Using your emotions as the basis of your arguments NEVER works out.
Posted By: Silverback Re: There ARE too many immigrants in the UK - 5th Aug 2011 11:19am
Is there too many, don't know. Are they "taking our jobs", don't know.

Not in possession of all the facts and figures, nor we are told are the government!

But what I do know is that the influx of immigrant labour is taking away the need for apprentices.

Why go to the expense of paying for a couple of years to train a man to do a job, when it's far cheaper to employ some one who can earn you money from day one!

How long before the only skilled labour that's available in this country doesn't have English as a first language.

Removing those apprenticeships is removing the jobs school leavers used to go to, now there's nothing for a lot of them, bar drink, drugs, and (petty or otherwise) crime.

Posted By: derekdwc Re: There ARE too many immigrants in the UK - 5th Aug 2011 11:20am
What are these jobs at National Minimum Wage that only immigrants will work at?
Can't the gov see it's a double whammy if people are unemployed,
they have to pay benefits and they are losing the income tax that would have been collected if they'd been working.
As regards the medical profession more people should be encouraged to become doctors, dentists etc by some sort of system whereby they get special considerations or some sort of reward to do so.
I don't know if this is true,a friend who is a reverend told me that if a muslim lady married a doctor or professional person she got paid a certain amount of money by some muslim organisation and also for each child that she had (which were more likely to become professionals themselves)
I would be very careful speaking about our soldiers in that way if I was you.

Oh please, the only reason you brought it up was you figured no one would have the balls to argue against it. You were wrong, get over it.

Using your emotions as the basis of your arguments NEVER works out.

You evidentally don't know me very well then do you.

I don't just say things for the sake of saying them, I say them because I believe people like you are so narrow-minded, and shallow that I feel the need to say it.

Look it's my opinion, your entilted to yours, thats the way the world goes round. All I'm saying is be careful what your saying.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: There ARE too many immigrants in the UK - 5th Aug 2011 11:22am
It makes sad reading, especially the above post (it took too long to write this reply, the above post i refer to is Silverbacks!!)

How can one country be so fcuked up. I'm so glad I have absolutely nothing to do with it, I'm glad I'm educated to a level that won't see me miss out on jobs due to immigrants, I'm glad I'm a skilled professional and not looking for an unskilled job.

What an absolute mess.

However, as some know, I'm not long for this country anyway - I'm going to become a skilled immigrant somewhere else hi
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: There ARE too many immigrants in the UK - 5th Aug 2011 11:24am
It doesn't help our economy though does it. I appreciate what you are saying and from a business point of view you want the best person for that job, but if they weren't here then the next person WOULD be the best person for the job, we'd be paying out less in benefits and the country would be in a better state, in my opinion of course. [/quote]

In reply___]
From today's Daily Post:

LIVERPOOL’S population decline is being stemmed by immigrants from abroad, according to the latest population estimates.

The city’s population increased by 0.7% from 442,300 in 2009 to 445,200 in 2010, but Liverpool continues to grow at a slower rate than other major UK cities.

Separate data also shows that Liverpool continues to be the most deprived city in England.

Last night, deputy council leader Paul Brant said that without the recent inflow of migrants more schools would have closed and more services cut.

The national trend that has seen the birth rate rise over recent years has also contributed to the city’s recent population growth.

But a council report concludes: “Liverpool continues to lose population to other UK destinations, meaning that without the inflow of migrants from overseas the city’s population would decline.”

Liverpool’s growth rate was the lowest of all major cities last year. Manchester’s population grew by 3.1% over the period, and the city average was 1.6%.

Labour’s deputy council leader Cllr Paul Brant said: “The city’s population has halved from its peak, however we still have the costs of running the infrastructure of a larger city. Without the recent inflow of people, Liverpool would have seen more school closures and cuts to services.

“We need to ensure that we grow our economy and population faster than our competitor cities if we are to continue to close the economic gap with other areas.

Read More http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk...immigrants-92534-29180948/#ixzz1U9S0qtQG
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: There ARE too many immigrants in the UK - 5th Aug 2011 12:52pm
Only History will tell who reads this correctly, but either way it is not us who are going to find out it is our descendants so you really have to hope that someone sorts it. That crowd putting up "Sharia Area" posters was enough for me, someone is going to end up in the mire and it's only the depth that will vary. I won't be here.
Posted By: Shambo Re: There ARE too many immigrants in the UK - 5th Aug 2011 4:41pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac

You've started these threads by quoting the Daily Mail, which isn't exactly renowned for it's impartiality or lack of sensationalism. Do you work for them? Or do you base your own beliefs on their editorials? Either way, please stop because it's not news.
Big difference between being nationalist and racist.

There are loads of people working for less than minimum wage and unfortunately the high level of immigrants seems to promote this.

The Government wants to reduce peoples wages and mass immigration is one way of doing this through the back door. That applied to the previous government as well. Double whammy:- employers market due to surplus of workers plus a load who are prepared to be underpaid.
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: There ARE too many immigrants in the UK - 5th Aug 2011 9:47pm
[/quote]

There we have the other side to the argument, put very well.

I'm 1/4 Norwegian, so who am I to comment on immigration?

Other than to say when my Grandfather came here during the war, he was actively involved in it, spoke English as his first language and my father went to school with English as his first language and subsequently neither him, my mother or any of his kids have ever taken a penny from the state - in fact have contributed very much - to the local economy in particular having developed most of the Conway Park area of Birkenhead during the 1990's.

A lot of it comes down to what you intend to contribute and how well you integrate into society, certainly not to do with the colour of your skin.

[/quote]
Thank you Nobody.

Suggest those who do not have a good idea as to what immigrants have contributed to Britain, read 'Bloody Foreigners'(The Story of Immigration to Britain) by Robert Winder ISBN 0-349-11568-4
Posted By: MissGuided Re: There ARE too many immigrants in the UK - 5th Aug 2011 11:08pm
We're all European mongrels deep down raftl
Posted By: StuyMac Re: There ARE too many immigrants in the UK - 5th Aug 2011 11:47pm
Originally Posted by Shambo
Originally Posted by StuyMac

You've started these threads by quoting the Daily Mail, which isn't exactly renowned for it's impartiality or lack of sensationalism. Do you work for them? Or do you base your own beliefs on their editorials? Either way, please stop because it's not news.

No, no and no grin
Posted By: Silverback Re: There ARE too many immigrants in the UK - 6th Aug 2011 7:54am
Originally Posted by paxvobiscum

Thank you Nobody.

Suggest those who do not have a good idea as to what immigrants have contributed to Britain, read 'Bloody Foreigners'(The Story of Immigration to Britain) by Robert Winder ISBN 0-349-11568-4

Don't think anybody is suggesting that all immigration is stopped totally. just for the government to staunch the flood, to reduce the damage to the population.

Posted By: detsi Re: There ARE too many immigrants in the UK - 7th Aug 2011 5:16pm
In the last fifty years the United Kingdom has bee robbed of its identity by spineless politicians of both main parties too terrified to rock the boat.. The British public has had immigration thrust upon it without any consultation or consideration and if anyone dare object they were labelled racist. Our little island has been invaded and we have sat back and watched it happen. We cannot afford all of these extra people. We have neither the housing nor the jobs available. It just isn't fair.
While agree with your sentiments Detsi, we did intentionally "import" immigrants due to manpower shortages, unfortunately it very much looks like they forgot how to close the door when this was no longer needed.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: There ARE too many immigrants in the UK - 7th Aug 2011 9:44pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
While agree with your sentiments Detsi, we did intentionally "import" immigrants due to manpower shortages, unfortunately it very much looks like they forgot how to close the door when this was no longer needed.
clap
© Wirral-Wikiwirral