Forums
Posted By: Tilly Thou shall steal after all! - 27th Dec 2009 5:11pm
Thou shall steal after all!
Holy row greets fatherly advice from York vicar

Church of England priest Tim Jones preaches it's OK to shoplift, though it's best from a big retail company not family business, Father Tim Jones, the
parish priest of St Lawrence and St Hilda in York, told his
congregation on Sunday that certain vulnerable people face difficult situations.

"My advice, as a Christian priest, is to shoplift,"
"I would ask that they do not steal from small, family businesses, but
from large national businesses, knowing that the costs are ultimately
passed on to the rest of us in the form of higher prices," he said, adding: "I would ask them not to take any more than they need, for any
longer than they need."

laffin

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/dec/22/thou-shall-steal-york-vicar
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Thou shall steal after all! - 27th Dec 2009 5:18pm
So he didn't advocate that, in times of hardship, one should turn to the church for alms or other such charity?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Thou shall steal after all! - 27th Dec 2009 6:19pm
Isnt this like last weeks news? I saw it on BBC Breakfast when all the Eurostar shit was going on, he was interviewed.
Posted By: Tilly Re: Thou shall steal after all! - 27th Dec 2009 6:22pm
doesn't mean everyone saw it hand
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Thou shall steal after all! - 27th Dec 2009 6:28pm
Not news then is it?

wink
Posted By: Tilly Re: Thou shall steal after all! - 27th Dec 2009 6:32pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC
Not news then is it?

wink

yeh!! it was to me yes
Posted By: jimbob Re: Thou shall steal after all! - 27th Dec 2009 7:07pm
And it was news to me. By the way when did Church of England vicars become PRIESTS
Posted By: bert1 Re: Thou shall steal after all! - 27th Dec 2009 7:14pm
You can have a priest in any religion, it only means holy man and i suppose these days holy woman also.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Thou shall steal after all! - 27th Dec 2009 9:20pm
Henry the eigth would turn in his grave if he heard C of E vicers called Priests. Priests belong to the R C that he kicked out.
Posted By: Tilly Re: Thou shall steal after all! - 27th Dec 2009 10:35pm
Where would it stop? Let's steal from rich people, let's steal from people that have a little more than us. Let's steal from the church -that's a faceless organisation.

It is totally wrong. And let's face it - nobody starves in this country. He suggests people are in need because they are waiting for their benefits. I suspect they spend most of their money on cigarettes and alcohol (anecdotal evidence only) and not on food. I have more sympathy with pensioners who are struggling on their meagre income after a lifetime of working but he is not encouraging them to turn to stealing.

I think he is after publicity
Posted By: Token Re: Thou shall steal after all! - 28th Dec 2009 3:16am
i say stop dole payments in cash, and pay out in food stamps, which you can exchange for food items only... and possibly personal hygiene products as well.... just like in america... you want clothes? get a job.

or steal them.... LoL
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Thou shall steal after all! - 28th Dec 2009 11:09am
How come they moan when the lead goes off their roof then?
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Thou shall steal after all! - 28th Dec 2009 11:43am
cool i'll rob me self a huge Television ?? honestly if i walked into a hugeeeeeee department store as this above priest states ROB from big buisnesses.... As if id get out the door with it let alone get out of the building id be arrested and sent down no questions asked.. The police officer asking "Why you do it?" ohhhh the priest told me to.. ??? HEY!! ??? Honeslty he needs a slap promoting its alright to steal HELLLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "Thou shalt, Not work, Shalt not eat" ??? laugh
© Wirral-Wikiwirral