Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 14th Dec 2009 11:48am
Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor

HOT favourite Joe McElderry was celebrating today after winning the coveted X Factor title and a life-changing record contract.
[Linked Image]
The 18-year-old student from South Shields beat Olly Murs in the public vote.

Joe beat 200,000 applicants to The X Factor and more than 10 million public votes were cast.

Following his win he hugged his mentor, fellow Geordie Cheryl Cole, and said: I cant actually speak and I just want to say thank you to Cheryl, shes been an amazing mentor.

He also thanked the other judges and everyone who voted for him.

Cheryl told him: I feel over the moon, Im absolutely delighted. The right person won. Im so proud of you. The North East are going to be going mad.

McElderrys single The Climb was available for download from midnight last night and will be in the shops on Wednesday.

Simon Cowell told Joe he was gutted for Olly but thrilled for you because you're brilliant.

It was Cheryls second victory in a row after mentoring winner Alexandra Burke in last years competition.

Bookmakers said Joe was now the red-hot favourite to secure Christmas number one with Ladbrokes cutting his odds of landing the top spot to 1/8.

In a sign of the shows ability to draw in the world's top stars, Sir Paul McCartney appeared on the final show singing Drive My Car with Joe, Olly and this year's other 10 X Factor finalists.

Asked for his views on the final pair, Sir Paul said: I think theyre both good, you know, one of thems going to win.

Speaking after the show Joe told ITV2s Xtra Factor: I couldnt believe it. I nearly collapsed on stage. Its amazing.

I feel like Im floating, just floating around, and I just feel like jelly.

There was a bit of pressure but I just thought, I made it to the final, so I thought I would just go for it and give it my best shot.

Ive had the best experience of my life.

Olly said: Ive had a great time and really enjoyed it, regardless of what happened.

I came out there fighting, did the best I could. The best guy won and Joe deserves it.

A National Grid spokeswoman said there was a surge in demand equivalent to more than 250,000 people switching on their kettles 750 megawatts or the output of a medium-sized power station after the final finished.

THE ECHO
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 14th Dec 2009 12:21pm
...well thats the Christmas No1 Sorted then [Linked Image]
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 14th Dec 2009 12:41pm
"Coveted X Factor title and a life-changing record contract.

raftl raftl raftl raftl

You mean, hes going to have around 2-3 singles, maybe 2 albums if hes lucky and then hell be forgotten about???

Michelle McManus anyone?
All those other faggots that no-one remembers because they are all over produced, none natural talent who 9/10 probably couldnt even play an instrument?

Dont make me laugh. X factor needs to be capped, like it did god knows how many years ago!!
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 14th Dec 2009 12:44pm
why is it that whenever we see winners of one of these things they all have extremely perfect teeth, lips the size of Ford Transits and a face that looks like it's been inflated with helium.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 14th Dec 2009 1:48pm
Originally Posted by Beaker
id like 'killing the name of' by rage against the machine to get to no 1
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 14th Dec 2009 1:52pm
So it would seem, do 90% of everyone else on Facebook.

I like neither, so doesnt bother me raftl
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 14th Dec 2009 2:06pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Originally Posted by Beaker
id like 'killing the name of' by rage against the machine to get to no 1

I believe Joe does an excellent version of that
I think Stacye should of won the x factor! But I am glad out of Joe n Olly, Joe won. I love that song, and I didnt like it by Olly at all.

Well Done Joe
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 16th Dec 2009 4:24pm
Let's have Formby Factor, a show to find the next George Formby of our day....
Turned out nice again! smile
Posted By: Stacey Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 16th Dec 2009 5:18pm
im glad joe won :-D hes my future husband :-P :-D
Posted By: hoseman Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 16th Dec 2009 6:44pm
Rage against the machine for Xmas...Kick in the bollox for smug git Cowell!! (and i will gift wrap it for him!!!)

These so called "tallent" shows shud be scrapped, also get rid of "reality" shows, not VERY real to me!!
Surviving in the jungle, not realy when you got a big backup crew, medics, smarmy git presenters and "everyday" survival situations (find a key in rotten fish... DUH!!!) that have nowt to do with jungle survival!
Big Brother...get real, (oh, your trying to!!) How can you honestly say that in real life, you could REALY put such people into one house and not have a murder!!! NOT REAL!!
AND dont even get me started on "Come Dancing On Bloody Ice!!", (I know its not called that, but joins another 2 hated together!!) with that bloody geriatric, unfunny, waste of oxygen, wig wearing, cue card reading, irritating Bruce Forsyth!!! Time to get shut of the lot of them!!! somad
Also they interupt the womans housework!!!
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 17th Dec 2009 9:12pm
Just for people uninformed...

Rage against the Machine ARE ON Simon Cowelss Record Label smack

So, instead of downloading a talentless idiot, or even some stupid repetitive American metal rap drivel (Ive heard both played WAY too many times past 3 days, both as equally bad as each other) which results in Simon Cowell getting mega rich, and doing ANOTHER season of XFactor....

VOTE FOR THE MUPPETS - BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 17th Dec 2009 9:19pm
RATM... wasnt "Killing In The Name Of" out years ago??

Why are people suddenly interested in them lol... best songs they did was Renegades Of Funk back and How I Could Just Kill A Man in 2001 or summit. Oh and the Triple H tune they did (the one that said Yo Jimmy, hit me with that Triple H).

When I used to love them, everyone said they were shit, what's changed?

confused
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 17th Dec 2009 9:19pm
Bit late now innit?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...adio-race-Christmas-No-1-turns-ugly.html
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 17th Dec 2009 9:40pm
How will that change things?

People who vote for Dingleberry are people who watch XFactor and have no life...

People who vote for Rage are these Studenty/Teenage Fags who swear by facebook and Radio1. Its one of those things so that in years to come..they can say, yeah. I voted for that, that makes me cool..because I defied the system!

What they dont realise, is that the charts has been decided by 12 year old girls for number of years, and that by downloading rage against (Which matty said, killing in the name of has been around for years :S) Is nt proving anything other than that they are sheep as well.

Why not just download neither?

That swearing outburst will just make it more taboo to like them!!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 17th Dec 2009 10:30pm
im not a student nor a fag!!! i'm old enough to know better really! yes, i have a facebook account, that I dont often bother with- it was set up to monitor what my daughter was up- to.
i did watch the x factor too and was glad that joe won. however, i would like ratm to be number one this year- just for the 'comedy' factor, really!
i couldnt really give a shit who or what wins, at the end of the day. i wont be buying either- or other -singles. ill either chuckle to myself, or roll my eyes....wont make any difference to me.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 17th Dec 2009 11:09pm
it does seem a little ironic that somebody chose the RATM song - with its anti-establishment 'fook you i won't do what you tell me!' message - that ppl are doing just that - conforming to an idea. Maybe humans are most comfortable when they are locked into conformity think
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 17th Dec 2009 11:26pm
too true! oh! the irony... pmsl.......................
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 18th Dec 2009 3:25am
I still don't get why all of a sudden, people are raving over a song, that was done over a decade ago, and by a band who were generally disliked in the UK when they were at their peak (late 90's and early 00's).

As I say, I love RATM, well used to, don't think they have released much for a good while, last album I got was Renegades, which was about 6 years ago, maybe more, but everyone hated them, said they were shit etc, and now everyone likes them??

Is this because the media told you to? What fools!!
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 18th Dec 2009 12:25pm
Im not 100% sure how it started, but I think it was one of those pathetic groups on facebook.

Last year it was Jeff Buckley, people tried to download his version of Hallelujah instead, because it was a MUCH MUCH better version of that song than the failure..oh sorry, I mean WINNER of XFactor last year!

Anyway, so the idea has already been planted. But this time, somone thought, I know. Lets all download something very "Anti" christmas, to fight the system. We will not tolerate crappy pop songs anymore. Now then, whats the least likely song to ever get a number 1, but people still like? Hmmmmm.... I know... RATM!

And so it started, and then someone must have mentioned it to radio 1, who thanks to IKNOWNOTHINGABOUTMUSICUNLESSITSUNDERGROUNDANDNOTRELEASEDBECAUSEIMUBERCOOL Zane Lowe...is played and supported literally every single day!!!

The ironic thing, its not the first Christmas Number 1 to be "against the system". Anyone know what was number 1 of Christmas 1979??

Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall Pt II raftl
Much better song wink
Posted By: starbuck75 Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 18th Dec 2009 12:58pm
Sorry but i'm all for Rage Against The Machine.

Having worked at BMG (now Sony Music) some years ago (as did my sister), i know how cocky Simon Cowell is and thinks he rules the UK charts, well, ok so he profits from Rage too (they're on a sub-label of Sony) but he won't get his predictable X-Factor winner to the no.1 slot quite as easily this year. Why should he just assume his winner should have it anyway, let him fight for it for once? I like what the singer of Rage (Zack De La Rocha) said today.

"Simon is an interesting character. He seems to have profited greatly off humiliating people on live television and has a unique position of capturing the attention of people on television, but also the airwaves. We see this as a necessary break of that control."

I bought the mp3 yesterday but i used a link that benefits the charity 'Shelter' and Tom Morello of RATM is donating his share to music related charities within the UK, giving it back to those serious about breaking into the industry without having to go through the make or break cycle of X-Factor/Pop Idol type shows.

On the facebook group that started it all, the admins are not a nasty bunch (can't speak for all on the friends list though) but they just wanna prove a point that Cowell doesn't speak for the entire nation where music is concerned, i've been into rock/alternative for most my life and although i like Joe, its not to my tastes, good luck to him but bring some metal love back to the top 5 - and i don't mean The Killers or McFly! lol.

http://www.facebook.com/settings/?t...php?v=info&ref=ts&gid=2228594104

Donate to Shelter http://www.justgiving.com/ratm4xmas/

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 18th Dec 2009 1:41pm
^well said.^
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 18th Dec 2009 1:43pm
Im sorry, but that is Bribery.

Oh, download our song and we'll give money to charity.
Dont get me wrong, I dont like X Factor or Joe Dingleberry, but I dislike RATM just as much. If thats how they are resorting to gaining sales, by donating some of their profits to charity, then so be it. End of the day, the charities will benefit. But Its competely wrong for them to jump on the charity bandwagon to make out their doing it for the good of mankind.

RATM are Rap Metal, not proper metal. How about Fade to Black by Metallica? Thats easily a better song, by a proper metal band.

If you want a metal band to run for christmas number 1, try going for someone who hvent become the Modern Day Che Guevarra. That is, people vote/like them, but the majority dont know what they are about, their views..or how they are the least "Qualified" metal band to represent that music genre
Posted By: starbuck75 Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 18th Dec 2009 1:49pm
No, Rage didn't re-release this song, sheer demand brought it back and all Tom Morello is saying, whatever he makes off the back of it, he's giving back to the people who bought it, better than him saying "gee thanks for putting us back on the top spot with an old track and i'm gonna go buy a Porche now" isn't it? So RATM isn't everyones cup of tea? Neither is Joe or Metallica, we could be picking a 'metal' song everyone likes for no.1 for years mate and still not get anywhere, at least this is 'in yer face X-Factor' and be done with it for a year. This isn't a genre argument really, its an X-Factor one!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 18th Dec 2009 1:49pm
Buy wot you like....or dont buy. Simples.
Posted By: starbuck75 Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 18th Dec 2009 1:50pm
Totally Rude, its about choice x
Posted By: DavidB Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 18th Dec 2009 10:15pm
I saw RATM in 1993 in the Royal Court! I love them!

Have a look at the video/soundbyte of them playing on Radio 5:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pbq9j#p005n8wp

Tom Morello is a Harvard graduate with folks from a grassroots political background (father in Mau Mau), he's not soft and whether or not he's a millionaire, I think what he's saying is a breath of fresh air. I'd buy a Gary Glitter record if it meant Simon Cowell's project not getting to number 1.
Doesn't SC work for BMG (who was previously 'executive'd' by Simon Cowell's father)? RATM are signed to Sony, and not a subsidiarity? Does anyone have a link to how he is going benefit from this (not The Sun one). wink
Posted By: starbuck75 Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 19th Dec 2009 12:08am
BMG no longer exist its now Sony Music but Simons company 'Syco Music' operates under the Sony Music banner. He won't outright benefit from this but Sony will and therefore he'll be patted on the back thanks to some kind of golden handshake deal with the execs no doubt, he has a whole corner of the new Sony building to himself so he must be high up with that lot nowadays.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 19th Dec 2009 12:12am
Jesus, I wonder how The Sun managed to turn that into a headline! I highly doubt he'll get a penny from it, surely!
Posted By: starbuck75 Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 19th Dec 2009 12:18am
This says it all for me though.. taken from Kerrang online. Its a bit longwinded but sums it up nicely.

A few weeks ago Rage Against The Machine fan Jon Morter set up a FaceBook group to encourage rock fans to buy the LA political metaller’s 1992 hit, Killing In The Name, as a protest against the perceived monopoly reality TV show the X Factor has over the Christmas singles market.

Morter told Kerrang! last week that he “snapped” while watching the show one night and set up the group to see who else agreed with him. When K! started covering the story earlier this month, the group had just under 60,000 members. Now it boats a staggering 868,552 members, and 306,115 of whom have purchased Killing In The Name this week putting it just under 9,000 copies ahead of X Factor winner Joe McElderry’s cover of Miley Cyrus' The Climb according to mid-week chart reports.

While it is mildly amusing that a song which features the refrain ’fook you I won’t do what you tell me!’ might be the festive Number One, as it was with The Darkness’s attempt at a Christmas hit in 2003 with Christmas Time (Don't Let the Bells End), there’s a much more important reason why rock fans should care about this seemingly pointless chart battle – the future of rock music itself.

With reality TV shows such as X Factor, American Idol, Britain’s Got Talent etc. providing record companies with a wealth of fame hungry wannabes that they don’t have to spend time or money promoting or developing because they come complete with a ready made audience who will buy their records regardless, they have stopped signing rock and metal bands who, traditionally, take years to make any significant financial returns for record companies.

“These reality TV shows really puts the blockers on new up and coming bands who write and perform their own stuff because the labels focus on channelling their marketing spend into these (mostly) short term, 'sure-fire' TV-fuelled successes,” a senior music industry figure, who wishes to remain anonymous, told K! “It really isn’t about music, quality of music or longevity for any resulting reality TV show artists or bands.”

“Also these reality TV show artists are deemed a priority within the label and so the newer bands perhaps do not get the true attention and push to radio / press etc. that really need to make their mark, or indeed the financial support to enable them to tour,” our source added. “And what’s worse, this is happening on a global level.”

While the vast majority of comments on this website have been supportive of the Rage Vs X factor campaign, there are still a few disillusioned posters who feel that an X Factor victory is inevitable - it is not! According to figures released by The Official Charts Company, Rage Against The Machine have been significantly ahead of Joe McElderry every day this week.

You’ve still got until 11:59PM tomorrow (Saturday, December 19) to make a difference. And, even if you own it already, you can purchase Killing In The name form a number of online e-tailers for as little as 29p.

Take a stand people, your music needs you!"
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 19th Dec 2009 12:55am
My opinion, is that there are so many other bands and artists out there that deserve a number 1 single than any XFactor or RATM styled band.

Mew, a Danish Indie band (youve probably never heard of them) have a song from their 3rd album "Frengers" (First one released in the UK) called "She Came home for Christmas". It isnt a Christmas themed song at all, its about a girl that the lead singer knows, who was unfortunately raped whilst she was at school. However, despite the overall idea behind the song, it is produced as a gorgoeus piece of music, that actually induces proper musical knowledge and talent, as opposed to ridiculous OTT Power chords with Overdrive!

This is a song of unbelievable genious, that has no coverage whatsoever. And that goes for all 5 of their albums. only 3 are currently available in the UK, But surely someone like them should be given the opportunity to achieve a christmas number 1?

They are a band that despite their intelligent use of music, and backing from Bono and Michael Stipe themselves, still fail to sell large numbers of singles and albums, despite their quality.

Basically, fair enough, they want other bands to experience an opportunity to be "found" and released to the world... but a campaign trying to get a new unheard band, or a hard working one such as "Mew" would be more identifiable? Not bringing a song back up from a decade ago????
Posted By: DavidB Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 19th Dec 2009 1:29am
It's a matter of individual taste.
They'd do the same with The Clash in the 80's, I can't think of an better equal. There's a load of reasons this song was chosen, it's confrontational (fook you I won't do what you tell me), RATM aren't a band that a subjectively known as a profiteering band (even though they've obviously made a load) and have managed to keep at it til now; I can't think of many popular bands that fit the bill for a massive middle finger to Simon Cowell, which is the only single point of this campaign.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 19th Dec 2009 3:22am
Oh ffs -who gives a flying duck what gets to number one. I dont care. Maybe im old-and i dont give a shit.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 19th Dec 2009 6:09am
RATM ftw only because I LIKE them... still not gonna buy the song though, since I already have it, on CD!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: starbuck75 Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 21st Dec 2009 12:29am
Well done to Rage!! smile
Posted By: kezzbag Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 21st Dec 2009 1:39am
who gives a poop! As long as it`s not Cliff, it`s all good. We`re not talkin world peace......it`s just a song at number 1 for 1 week of the year.
I totally agree with you
Posted By: kezzbag Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 21st Dec 2009 1:46am
smile
Posted By: hoseman Re: Joe McElderry is winner of the X Factor - 21st Dec 2009 9:33pm
Id vote for Mr Blobby as long as it kicked smug git Cowell in the nads!!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral