Forums
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Asda Van in Sat Nav Blunder - 23rd Oct 2009 10:02pm
An Asda delivery driver got into a tight spot - after blindly following his satnav into dense woodland. Skip related content
The supermarket worker became the latest motorist to have his senses switched off by the hi-tech guidance system after getting his 6ft-wide van stuck down a 3ft-wide footpath.

Confused cyclists and hikers watched in disbelief as the blundering white van man eventually had to abandon his Mercedes vehicle near Rosendale, Lancashire.

Onlooker David Bissett, 32, said: "I was amazed it had got down so far and I wondered how it was going to get back out.

"You can't fault Asda for reaching the parts that other supermarkets can't reach."

The RAC were called out and the van, which was delivering food from Asda's Pilsworth store in Bury to a nearby farm, was freed after an hour.

A spokeswoman for Asda tried to make light of the blunder.

She said: "Unfortunately one of our home shopping vans took a wrong turn and got into a bit of a pickle.

"Thankfully the RAC was quick to come to the driver's rescue so it wasn't long before our intended customers received their weekly shop."

Lancashire County Council said it is considering placing bollards and signs to prevent similar incidents happening again.

"I wouldn't blindly follow my satnav but some unfortunately do. At the end of the day common sense should prevail," said Edenfield councillor Darryl Smith.

"A constituent alerted me that a minibus taking people to Manchester Airport became stuck in the same spot not long ago.

"It seems to be one of the unluckiest footpaths in the area at the moment."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20091023/tod-satnav-blunder-this-asda-be-the-wron-870a197.html
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Asda Van in Sat Nav Blunder - 24th Oct 2009 9:20am
oops raftl what a div.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Asda Van in Sat Nav Blunder - 24th Oct 2009 12:38pm
When I come back from Warminster my satnav takes me to the 3rd exit on one roundabout instead of the 1st exit. I know now to tell it to bog off but the first couple of times it was a bind. If I had a better memory I'd scrub round it all together.

oldman
© Wirral-Wikiwirral