Forums
Posted By: MattLFC Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize - 9th Oct 2009 10:16am
Originally Posted by BBC News
US President Barack Obama has won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize.

The Nobel Committee said he was awarded it for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples".

The committee highlighted Mr Obama's efforts to strengthen international bodies and promote nuclear disarmament.

There were a record 205 nominations for this year's prize. Zimbabwe's prime minister and a Chinese dissident had been among the favourites.

The laureate - chosen by a five-member committee - wins a gold medal, a diploma and 10m Swedish kronor ($1.4m).

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the Norwegian committee said in a statement.

"His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population."

Hmmm, a bit early for him to be getting it imho, though I can see why, and he seems like he will make an excellent president in the long term.

Not sure if awarding it to him this early on in his mission will dent the overall reputation of the prize however.

I wonder if he will give the prize money to charity? Or some of it.

BBC News Report
Posted By: davew3 Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize - 9th Oct 2009 10:35am
Can I just say Ha Ha Ha Ha,didn't the British and French generals give each other medals at the beginning of the WWI while the troops were dying,Afghanistan = britains and America's Vietnam,Troops out now.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize - 9th Oct 2009 10:44am
Obama is THE MAN!?! Yer nice one
Posted By: DavidB Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize - 9th Oct 2009 10:31pm
I think a President Hitler would get the Nobel peace prize after that cretin that preceded him.
Posted By: kezzbag Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize - 10th Oct 2009 11:37pm
Is way too early for him to receive such an award. Yes he has talked the talk but has yet to change any bodies lives in such a profound way. He does sound like he has potentional to change things but THE noble peace prize? This early? How long did Mother Teresa work b4 she got 1? After George Bush even Big Bird would have been a welcome relief.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize - 13th Oct 2009 12:10pm
Don't forget he had only been in a fortnight when he was nominated, what's that all about? Since proved to good at giving the mouth music but not at acting on it. How many promises have been fulfilled up to now? I'm in no way anti-American but this one is an own goal. It demeans the achievments of those who have got it before, except for Al Gore who got it for a Powerpoint presentation.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize - 13th Oct 2009 12:22pm
Originally Posted by kezzbag
Is way too early for him to receive such an award. Yes he has talked the talk but has yet to change any bodies lives in such a profound way. He does sound like he has potentional to change things but THE noble peace prize? This early? How long did Mother Teresa work b4 she got 1? After George Bush even Big Bird would have been a welcome relief.
I dunno Kez - Big Bird is really whiny - I'd be after him with an elephant gun!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize - 13th Oct 2009 12:27pm
Originally Posted by Snooze

you can't shoot a big bird with an elephant gun, against EU rules. Try one of those punt guns, BOOM!
Posted By: kezzbag Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize - 17th Oct 2009 11:52pm
Originally Posted by Snooze

Lol. Was looking for the biggest fookin puppet to express my opinion so an elephant gun would do it!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral