Forums
Posted By: ponytail Boy Hit By Meteorite Travelling At 30,000mph - 12th Jun 2009 11:30am
Boy Hit By Meteorite Travelling At 30,000mph
2 hours 9 mins ago

© Sky News 2009 Print Story A teenager was hit by a meteorite travelling at 30,000mph - and lived to tell the tale. Skip related content
Related photos / videos Boy Hit By Meteorite Travelling At 30,000mph Enlarge photo Gerrit Blank was on his way to school when he saw a massive fireball heading straight towards him from the sky.

The white-hot meteorite bounced off the schoolboy's hand and hit the ground so hard it left a foot-long crater in the tarmac - as well as a three-inch scar on his hand.

Gerrit, 14, said: "At first I just saw a large ball of light and then I suddenly felt a pain in my hand.

"Then, a split second after that, there was an enormous bang like a crash of thunder."

"The noise that came after the flash of light was so loud that my ears were ringing for hours afterwards.

"When it hit me it knocked me flying and then was still going fast enough to bury itself in the road."

Scientists are now studying the pea-sized meteorite, which crashed to Earth in Essen in Germany.

Chemical tests on the rock have now proved it is from outer space.

Ansgar Korte, director of Germany's Walter Hohmann Observatory, said: "It's a real meteorite, therefore it is very valuable to collectors and scientists."

Chances of being struck by a meteorite are around one in 100 million.

Mr Korte said: "Most meteorites don't actually make it to ground level because they evaporate in the atmosphere.

"Of those that do get through, about six out of every seven of them land in water."

There is only one other known case of a human being surviving a direct hit from a meteor.

A grapefruit-sized meteor crashed through the roof of a house in Alabama, in the USA, in 1954.

After smashing through the top of the building, it bounced off furniture and then hit a woman who was asleep at the time.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Boy Hit By Meteorite Travelling At 30,000mph - 12th Jun 2009 12:06pm
Pictures??? grin
[Linked Image]
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Boy Hit By Meteorite Travelling At 30,000mph - 12th Jun 2009 1:03pm
Wow! He should play the lottery!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Boy Hit By Meteorite Travelling At 30,000mph - 12th Jun 2009 2:00pm
Originally Posted by gloria

A grapefruit-sized meteor crashed through the roof of a house in Alabama, in the USA, in 1954.

His was a little smaller than a grapefruit!
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Boy Hit By Meteorite Travelling At 30,000mph - 12th Jun 2009 2:04pm
I thought it said Boy Hit By Meteorite??
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Boy Hit By Meteorite Travelling At 30,000mph - 12th Jun 2009 2:05pm
raftl Would you hit it would you Jow raftl
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Boy Hit By Meteorite Travelling At 30,000mph - 12th Jun 2009 2:08pm
Yeah, upside its head for that pose
Posted By: Wench Re: Boy Hit By Meteorite Travelling At 30,000mph - 12th Jun 2009 9:42pm
FFS - the mark on his hand is an inch long if that raftl Hardly warrants "lived to tell the tale" smack
found this close up pic of the Meteorite
[Linked Image]

Close up of the scar
[Linked Image]
sounds fun
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Boy Hit By Meteorite Travelling At 30,000mph - 13th Jun 2009 12:21pm
a load of crap if you ask me. more like someone put a fag out on his hand. snob
I'm wondering why it didn't go straight through his hand if it was travelling at enough velocity to make a foot long crater... think What's this kid made of if a meteorite can bounce of him? omg
I doubt if it hit him, it will just be a scorch from the metoer trail. Also the 30,000 mph will be speed before being slowed down by atmosphere, if it was that speed, there would just be a little neat hole in the road.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral