Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Murder arrest over Pc hit-and-run - 7th Mar 2009 8:38pm
[Linked Image]

Murder arrest over Pc hit-and-run

A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after an off-duty policeman was killed in a hit-and-run crash in Greater Manchester.
[Linked Image]
Pc Mike Silcock suffered head injuries when he was hit by a BMW Three Series coupe on Didsbury Road, Heaton Mersey, Stockport late on Friday.

Pc Silcock, 30, had just left the Frog and Railway pub with a fellow officer, 25, when the pair were struck.

A 29-year-old man is being questioned, said Greater Manchester Police (GMP).

It is believed the murder suspect and Mr Silcock were not known to each other.

A car matching the description of the vehicle involved in the crash, which happened at 2330 GMT, was later found burnt out on Burnage Lane.

'Team player'

The other officer suffered non life-threatening injuries, said police.

Mr Silcock joined Greater Manchester Police nine years ago as a response officer.

Ch Supt David Anthony said: "We are shocked and saddened by Pc Silcock's death.

"Mike is described by his colleagues and friends as an officer whose ethos was to serve the public and assist his colleagues.

"He was considered as a committed team player."

In May 2006 he was commended for his part in the arrest of a gang of youths following a long foot chase and a subsequent inquiry which led to seven arrests linked to numerous burglaries.

In his application to the force Mr Silcock wrote: "I genuinely would like to serve the community and work towards improving the often difficult circumstances in which people find themselves."

Mr Anthony added: "From everything that I have been told, his service with us was spent doing exactly that."

THE BBC
Posted By: Wench Re: Murder arrest over Pc hit-and-run - 8th Mar 2009 1:51pm
Any hit and run should get the maximum sentence available!! Nothing but cowards and other words that I cannot post somad

© Wirral-Wikiwirral