Forums
Posted By: Anonymous 'Last' Woolworths pic'n'mix fetches £14,500 - 21st Feb 2009 6:58pm
[Linked Image]
Funds raised will go to the Retail Trust, a charity for retail workers

The "last" bag of Woolworths pic'n'mix has sold for more than £14,500 at an online auction.

The souvenir from the collapsed retail chain received 115 bids before finally being sold to the highest bidder on eBay at midday on Saturday.

Ed Adams, a Woolworths store manager, filled the pic'n'mix just before his shop in Petts Wood, Bromley, south London, closed for the last time.

The money will go to the Retail Trust, a charity for retail industry workers.

"I am really proud and excited to see such an enormous sum has been raised for the last bag of pic'n'mix," said Mr Adams.

"Retail Trust is a fantastic organisation that has helped so many people like me."

Worthwhile cause

The 800g bag includes fizzy cola bottles, rhubarb & custards, strawberry bon bons, Turkish delight, white mice and pineapple cubes.

Nigel Rothband, Retail Trust chief executive, said: "It's taken us by surprise. It's very exciting and much more than we were expecting."

The bag has been officially certified by Woolworths' administrators, Deloitte, as the last one.

A spokesman said: "The administrators of Woolworths PLC have consented to the sale of this item for the benefit of Retail Trust.

"They are pleased to be supporting this worthwhile cause and hope the proceeds will make a difference to those workers helped by the charity."

An eBay spokesman said they were working with the charity to "finalise payment" from the winning bidder.

THE BBC
just read this on sky news wow!
Posted By: Angela Re: 'Last' Woolworths pic'n'mix fetches £14,500 - 21st Feb 2009 7:16pm
I've just read about this on another web site.Well, I did a charity envelope collection for the Marie Curie charity, collected in £42-17p.Ok, I know it's not in the same league smile but I was quite pleased with it. grin
Angie thumbsup yipee
Posted By: Sanchez Re: 'Last' Woolworths pic'n'mix fetches £14,500 - 21st Feb 2009 8:01pm
at first I thought what a waste of money.......after reading the story, i wish that bag was in my hands. I wonder if the winner is going to eat them.....
I was thinking that kid!
Posted By: SoundLad Re: 'Last' Woolworths pic'n'mix fetches £14,500 - 21st Feb 2009 11:10pm
SEEEE!!! pic n mix could of saved Woolworths ???
Posted By: Sanchez Re: 'Last' Woolworths pic'n'mix fetches £14,500 - 22nd Feb 2009 12:45pm
Originally Posted by SoundLad
SEEEE!!! pic n mix could of saved Woolworths ???

If only they had thought about charging silly money for the pic'n'mix earlier. The power of foresight frown
Posted By: Jubbly Re: 'Last' Woolworths pic'n'mix fetches £14,500 - 23rd Feb 2009 11:06pm
The manager filled a bag but what he should have done is walked out with it stuffed and hidden in his pockets - like many of us did and probably won't admit. Woolies pick 'n' mix wasnt proper unless it was filched. Aaaah happy days. smile
Hmm, I wouldn't touch these with a barge pole.

Or at least I'd check how fluffy they were first before I even considered eating them...

They may have been the ones that hit the floor or were languishing in hard to reach corners under the display stand...

I'm so cynical lol
© Wirral-Wikiwirral